The MT-07 Forum

Another FZ-07 track build.

prospeed44

Interesting on the shock. I'm running the same on my bike (from an '05 model, if it matters) and mine actually measured 1-2mm shorter than my stock shock. Huh..

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, prospeed44 said:

Starting to research the front suspension options here on the forum . I have reached out to pattonme and hope to hear back in the next few days . I'm a little confused tho - i finally found picks of the Matris cartridge kits but i see no damper rods . It looks like a viable option to Ohlins or Andreanis . Still i'm drawn back to Ohlins as a creature of habit - i've always used them . Better the devil you know than the one you don't . Switcharoo that tho - i'm open to quality alternatives . Plus the gsxr internals conversion is tempting too but maybe no longer available ?. I am now suffering the effects of paying my techs to build my bikes instead of doing it myself and learning more . My bad .

Still - i'm having fun wrenching again .

Take a look at K-Tech.  Very big at the Isle of Man and Northwest 200.   They know their stuff.  Hordpower installed my K-tech cartridges.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Hey @shinyribs  , you are right . I measured them both again , this time without the adult gatorade , and they came out both the same length 2 out of 3 times . 1 time the cbr shock was 1mm shorter .

• Haha 1

Got a little more done today . Shogun frame sliders installed - easy peasy . Also the clipons turned up so i fitted them . With the steering stops set to the most travel i can turn the bars lock to lock without hitting anything - and that's with bars at the most comfortable angle . Of course that may change with the tank cover on .

I put the filter pods on too and the left one does touch the shock resevoir but no biggy . I really like what derekfz did with his filter pod set up . May half to copy that :)) .

fz-07 #6 001.jpg

fz-07 #6 003.jpg

Anybody heard from pattonme recently ?. Iv'e messaged him 3 times in 3 weeks and heard nothing back . Hope he's ok ...

• 2 weeks later...

i  see pattonme has some cartridge modified forks for the FZ07 for sale on Ebay .

I messaged him there and haven't heard back , on top of the 3 pm's i have sent on this forum . Anybody know how to contact the suspension gurru ?.

• Premium Member
On 11/3/2018 at 9:43 PM, prospeed44 said:

I put the filter pods on too and the left one does touch the shock resevoir but no biggy . I really like what derekfz did with his filter pod set up . May half to copy that :)) .

Any links or pics of what you finally did with the filter pod set up?  👍

It looks like i will have to rethink the front suspension . I was really hoping to get some cartridge conversion forks from @pattonme but it seems that is no longer an option , so i think , after seeing @cornerslider racetech suspension freshen up i will go that route . Around $350 all up will get me what i need . Sure , there is some disassembly and fiddling to get it set up but that shouldn't be problem . Plus Sandia Park Raceway , my local track is a very short , sub minute 7 turn little bull ring so it should be fine . If i was still riding at Calspeed or Willow Springs i might think differently .

A bit of a bummer  - i spun the front wheel with the calipers removed and it's got a little bend in it so i'll ship that off to Dave Moore in California to have it straightened this week .

I also am taking advantage of 2WDW black friday deal and having the ECU reflashed .

Unfortunately my property tax bill showed up and i had an unexpectedly costly double root canal last week so funds for anything else are in short supply right now . My wife also informed me she was expecting a Xmas present this year - and not tire warmers lol !.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
On 11/25/2018 at 6:47 PM, prospeed44 said:

It looks like i will have to rethink the front suspension . I was really hoping to get some cartridge conversion forks from @pattonme but it seems that is no longer an option , so i think , after seeing @cornerslider racetech suspension freshen up i will go that route . Around $350 all up will get me what i need . Sure , there is some disassembly and fiddling to get it set up but that shouldn't be problem . Plus Sandia Park Raceway , my local track is a very short , sub minute 7 turn little bull ring so it should be fine . If i was still riding at Calspeed or Willow Springs i might think differently .

A bit of a bummer  - i spun the front wheel with the calipers removed and it's got a little bend in it so i'll ship that off to Dave Moore in California to have it straightened this week .

I also am taking advantage of 2WDW black friday deal and having the ECU reflashed .

Unfortunately my property tax bill showed up and i had an unexpectedly costly double root canal last week so funds for anything else are in short supply right now . My wife also informed me she was expecting a Xmas present this year - and not tire warmers lol !.

I'm glad I could help someone out with the racetech front end set-up 😎... Take your time with the install. I followed the install instructions to the letter, and never had to take the forks apart to do anything after that. I did add the preload adjusters after the fact ($20 off eBay). I ended up about where race tech recommended the preload at (10mm). BTW: I think I saw on another thread that pattonme isn't doing suspension work at this time.... Sounded like his full-time job was really busy. I've heard great reviews of his work though-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
On 11/25/2018 at 6:29 PM, prospeed44 said:

fz07 pods 006.jpg

Nice, what pods are those and is there any problem with the shock hitting the pod more when the rear suspension is close to bottomed out? @prospeed44 Sorry to hear about the root-canal and tax-bill, no sympathy with the wife expecting a present, lol, apparently its something going around this year 😉. Good Luck with the race-tech suspension and enjoy the @2wheeldynoworks tune.

No , not really . The pod barely touches it , and at static sag it is at max touch on the filter . 

On 11/25/2018 at 4:47 PM, prospeed44 said:

It looks like i will have to rethink the front suspension .

Traxxion has valve with shims that sits on top of the damper rod like emulator. May want to look at that option as well. 

• Thanks 1

I'm soooo confused !!!!. There is so much advise/opinion/rhetoric about suspension on this forum . Iv'e been reading for about 3 hours .There are pluses and minuses on just about every possible upgrade combination !!. I'm now kinda leaning towards the Traxxiom AR25 kit - BUT - and maybe this is covered somewhere else , could i not get reasonable results with just the GVE's , modding the stock damper rods to Racetech specks or just drilling the holes to 7/16's as per Traxxiom , using pvc for spacers cut to the optimum length after trial and error , 10wt fork oil and Ebay preload adjusters ?.

Just now, prospeed44 said:

I'm soooo confused !!!!. There is so much advise/opinion/rhetoric about suspension on this forum . Iv'e been reading for about 3 hours .There are pluses and minuses on just about every possible upgrade combination !!. I'm now kinda leaning towards the Traxxiom AR25 kit - BUT - and maybe this is covered somewhere else , could i not get reasonable results with just the GVE's , modding the stock damper rods to Racetech specks or just drilling the holes to 7/16's as per Traxxiom , using pvc for spacers cut to the optimum length after trial and error , 10wt fork oil and Ebay preload adjusters ?.

You bet this would work. I've been beat by guys running this exact setup. The gve's you mentioned or the traxxion variant are both great entry level options that will support an expert level club racer. They are less convenient to adjust but if you're only running one track or local set of canyon roads who cares, set em and forget em. I've used the gve's on an rd350 an r5 (with Rd trips & forks) and an xs750 street tracker and loved them. Pick one, stop wabbin and run the hell outta em.

Is it as good as carbon fibre Ohlins Moto GP forks? Of course not but neither are any of us fast enough to know the diff.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, prospeed44 said:

@Davidc45- do you have a pic and a price ?.

Yea I do but it won’t let me post it cause the file is too large. I can email it? My ig is davidc_454

Edited by Davidc45-

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Davidc45- said:

Yea I do but it won’t let me post it cause the file is too large. I can email it? My ig is davidc_454

An easy way to reduce the file size is to crop it a little and then try posting.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

There ya go thanks for the help. This is really the only good pic of the pan. You can buy just fiberglass, the carbon is a bit more. It has some flaws cause I don’t have a vacuum bag set up yet. But the fiberglass comes out perfect.

3D33756D-5A5C-4591-A1A5-7E75DF2DA4D2.jpeg

• Like 1