The MT-07 Forum

Another FZ-07 track build.

prospeed44

• Global Moderator

Welcome dude.

i'm sure you've seen the FZ07Rs that are peppering the forum, but most of them have a similar build list to yours. 
Maybe check in with Hordpower for his airbox to up the ante a bit with your ecu flash/quickshifter.

We also have a bit of a guru for suspension, @pattonme can probably hook you up with the ohlins kit or since you have the stock forks, maybe even give you a custom setup. I have his setup in my forks and dont know why i didnt start with that as an upgrade first. 

But again, welcome to the forum and cant wait to see how much of a monster you turn the blurple fizzy into

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Actually it was all the cool and interesting builds on this forum that prompted me to join . I'm hoping to take advantage of all the knowledge here to avoid a lot of trial and error . Definately interested in suspension help . 

Thanks for the welcome 😀.

• Premium Member

Awesome!

Get with Andy Palmer at AP Motoarts for a shorter suspension link.  It raises the rear and improves handling.

What are your plans for a oil containing belly pan?

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I bought a cbr600rr shock and will instal that after i've installed the replacement  stock forks just to get a base feeling . I've never ridden an FZ07 so would like to feel what it's like first before modding anything .

I don't think i need an oil containing bellypan for track days but i'm going out to the track today to gather some information regarding local regulations .

Watching others rip around the track will surely add to my motivation .

• Like 1

I tried to contact @pattonme but i apparently am only allowed to send 0 (zero) ?? messages . Was interested in buying a set of Ohlins cartridges . Was that a glitch - or should i look elsewhere ?. Some help would be appreciated .

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, prospeed44 said:

I tried to contact @pattonme but i apparently am only allowed to send 0 (zero) ?? messages . Was interested in buying a set of Ohlins cartridges . Was that a glitch - or should i look elsewhere ?. Some help would be appreciated .

there is a min limit of 5-7(?) postings needed to send a PM...

not to discourage you /others... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, prospeed44 said:

You are unable to send messages until you have a minimum of 10 posts. You are able to respond to a message if someone sends you one though. @pattonme has been offline for a short while though. Most likely he buried in work. So have patience.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
On 10/20/2018 at 11:25 PM, prospeed44 said:

Once it's done and i'm happy with it i'll maybe race it to prove it's worth and then probably list it

Welcome, I'm interested on how this build will go, good luck with your venture. There is tons of info on here to help you get you build on, and a ton of people that can give advice. Good Luck.

Ok , now i understand .

Got some parts in the last couple of days so i got to work today. 

I replaced the damaged forks and lower triple tree. Before installing i fitted All Balls tapered bearings . Upper race was a pain - had to dremel a groove in it to remove . Lower race was easy as there are a couple of cutaways so you can get a punch to it . I also drilled and tapped some holes in the steering stops and fitted a couple of low profile allens so i can adjust the steering lock . Installed the chain adjusters/rear spools . I had to relieve the end of the swing arm on the right to make them fit properly . I also swapped the hardware for better quality stuff and longer spool mounts . When it was back together i ran it around the block and discovered a substantial radiator leak so i'll have to repair that . 

Shock is here as are the rear sets so maybe this weekend i can get them on , remove the airbox and install pods instead . When i rode it there was a huge flat spot off idle but i think that's down to the slip on M4 pipe . A reflash should take care of that .

When i took all the body work off it seems that if you relocate the ECU and the reg/rec there would be room for clipons , anybody know ?.

Does anybody make a solo race tail that fits up to the tank cover ?.

• Like 1

Ebay . $32.50 . Not sure how long the anodizing will last and the hardware was typically cheesy but options for this bike are limited . I like them tho .

Seller is tieny88 . Shipping was 8 days .

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, prospeed44 said:

fz07 race build #2 013.jpg

fz07 race build #2 011.jpg

Fork tube mounted clip-ons will work if you are willing to hack at the side intakes.  Reduce your steering travel as much as possible and maybe only a little hacking will be needed.  Good job on the steering limiters, the FZ07 has way too much travel than needed for a performance bike.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Mmmm, track day project.

Couple of thoughts; 

Clipons work when you move the ecu like you said on the one side and the regulator and some wiring garbage on ta udder.

Then maybe this (I know you said no to race fairings, but...) https://ionemoto.com/collections/sharkskinz/manufacturer_yamaha+model_fz07-mt07

You can Ala carte a tank cover to keep crap out of the way of your clip on's and the race tail you're looking for to fit the bike.

Hard Racing has the Andreani carts for $597 as an option, race tech springs and emulators always a good bet too for half that.

You can get a nice oil containment belly from Airtech Streamlining (OCP1pick ur model) if you need it for a naked street fighter thing...

1326656008_tablet143.thumb.jpg.4c0d746ff9517a644c0997dc35c0c59c.jpg

• Like 1

Be prepared to keep this fool thing. These things have a tendency to endear themselves to folks that are past the 'wring it's neck at all costs to keep up or have fun' phase of track riding or racing.  Note the avg age of the fellas riding these at the track +45. They realy are a hoot to romp around on in that 6-9000 rpm range and reward you with ,good handling, decent brakes and a surprisingly brisk pace.

Perkins senior track menu for the win.

Dave

p.s. Try the stock brakes before you spend money on Brembo this or that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2

That full bodywork looks the mutts nuts but i cannot justify $1350 on a budget build . Maybe if he sells a bunch of them the price will come down but it's twice as much as an inline yamhonkawsuzi set . Looks good tho .

My local track is pretty short - 7 turns . Seems nobody gets out of 4th gear . I don't need much stream lining . I was interested in clipons as it's easier to "assume the position". The race tail looks good and i like the bellypan .

I need to do more research on the Andreannis vs Ohlins as well .

Thanks for the tips .

Just now, prospeed44 said:

That full bodywork looks the mutts nuts but i cannot justify $1350 on a budget build . 

Sharkskinz is selling it pick a piece now, $450 for tank cover and tail, just saying. But you sure could get a used set of Ninja 250 or whatever and mod em up too. Or a vintage Dunstall 1/4 fairing would be the shnitzel...

You guys crack me up - love it 😁😂 .

Any thoughts on the rear shocks listed on ebay by Gears - out of Taiwan ?.

Got some parts in so back to work.

Case savers arrived  and attempted to instal them . Pretty easy except they didn't send the correct brackets . New ones on the way . I like case savers but i have mixed feelings about these ones . The idea is sound but the plastic used seems very brittle - hard . It isn't like good quality frame sliders that are made from nylon that absorbe impact and slides/wears like knee pucks . I think these will explode on impact if i bin it . Still - $98 , still cheaper than new OEM clutch/stator covers .

Installed the Arashi rear sets . Well made and nice quality . No more or less crash resistant than the expensive ones . Still , i replaced the hardware with good stuff . CBR600rr shock installed . I had to "relieve" the upper front leading edge of the dogbone to allow clearance for the clevise . I did this with a dremel and then radiused the cut out . It was only about 1/8th of an inch and i don't feel this has compromised the linkage in any way . The CBR shock is about 1/8 - 3/16 longer so it should raise the rear a little and load the front . I think that's a good thing .

Clipons , filters and some other stuff should arrive in a week or so . I need to fit the clipons before i can order some custom brake lines .

I need to concentrate on the front suspension next - and a reflash .

track build halloween 001.jpg

track build halloween 002.jpg

• Like 3

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, prospeed44 said:

track build halloween 003.jpg

9 hours ago, prospeed44 said:

I had to "relieve" the upper front leading edge of the dogbone to allow clearance for the clevise . I did this with a dremel and then radiused the cut out . It was only about 1/8th of an inch and i don't feel this has compromised the linkage in any way .

Where did you do this? 

Starting to research the front suspension options here on the forum . I have reached out to pattonme and hope to hear back in the next few days . I'm a little confused tho - i finally found picks of the Matris cartridge kits but i see no damper rods . It looks like a viable option to Ohlins or Andreanis . Still i'm drawn back to Ohlins as a creature of habit - i've always used them . Better the devil you know than the one you don't . Switcharoo that tho - i'm open to quality alternatives . Plus the gsxr internals conversion is tempting too but maybe no longer available ?. I am now suffering the effects of paying my techs to build my bikes instead of doing it myself and learning more . My bad .

Still - i'm having fun wrenching again .