The MT-07 Forum

!!HELP!! Bent Rear Rim!! 18 MT07

Spm13

Anyone who knows NYC knows our potholes.  I was on I-95 and literally could not react fast enough, no shot, and i hit it with rear wheel.... bent my rim pretty bad.  Took it to Yamaha dealer, cant be bent or heated cause itll crack.  So heres my question...

Ive been all over the internet looking for used rims.  So far ive found used rims for FZ/MT07 and FZ/MT09... all with part codes "1RC-blah-blah".... Yamaha is saying for my bike, the 2018 MT07, that i absolutely need to get the rear wheel with the part code starting with "2DR"... now i looked it up and sure enough that's the rear rim, but my question is, why cant i buy a rim off a FZ07 or FZ09 (MT) and put that on??? its a different part number, but its exactly the same rim and takes exactly the same tire, all sizes are exactly the same.  Why are they saying i must get the 2DR code, why cant i grab a 1RC, and slap it on... or is it just not that simple??  I mean everything looks identical.  I would assume you just gotta pop everything out, rotors, bearings, etc, and just put them on the new rim, and put it on, no??  Someone please help make this clear because id def rather grab a used one for 200 maybe even with a tire on it, than pay 350 for a brand new cast.  Thanks guys!!!

20181012_083350.thumb.jpg.087c5ca08a62c4f0e67a06f4f63ceee6.jpg

14 minutes ago, Mad said:

May be the abs that the old fz 09 and 07 didn't have 

I'm pretty sure the ABS though is only on the front brake, not the rear

• Premium Member

if the bike has ABS and or TC it will have a "speed sensor" ring on both wheel hubs...  not all years of the FZ/MT/FJ-07/09 have ABS and or TC...

I can see in the OPs picture the bike has a "speed sensor" - that must be removed carefully prior to removing the rim and installing new rim...

• Thanks 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

It looks like it has rear wheel ABS from the photos on the Yamaha website.  The 2017 ABS model also shows a 2DR part number and the non-ABS shows 1RC so there must be a difference because of that.  I assume it is the mount for the speed sensor. 

The sensor will mount to the swing armr, not the wheel. Looks like it mounts to the bracket that holds the rear caliper. There will be a ring on the wheel or disk rotor that the sensor sees however. That's not in view in that pict

So for that ABS to work, it'll have to be a wheel that the ring can mount to. 

Edited by rick
  • Thanks 1

Oh, it's not so easy to remove wheel bearings w/o destroying them - even with a proper puller. The bearings will usually have to be pulled via their inner races and that does them no good.

I would buy new. Throw them in the freezer for some, erm, shrinkage, and then heat the hub with a heat gun on low before pressing the new bearings in - via their outer races

There will likely be a 3rd bearing in the hub, behind the rear sprocket. If the bearing comes off with the hub, you can just reuse it. 

Edited by rick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, yea I've been noticing in all the pics I've been seeing, that little "L" cable right behind my caliper is the speed sensor, you don't see it on the older models, I figured I'd have to eff with that, and the bearings. Ugh I know its gonna be a decent project for me since I'm not that inclined mechanically, but I can do it, just needed to know if I can get a 1RC and save a couple hundred... so I'm guessing no can do. Its gotta be the 2DR??  I mean couldn't I just say eff the speed sensor lmao prolly not😂

Edited by Spm13

Dunno if the dash is also different to show the ABS, but w/o the back wheel's ABS, you might be looking at a blinking light all the time. Fortunately, the dash is, well, out of line of sight.

Yes , the dash will show a orange abs light! 

A  fz 07 with abs will start with that light and after some meters , if everything it's ok,  the light will turn off ... if you do a burnout before the light is off the abs will be disabled until you restart the bike 

That's annoying. My '96K1100RS BMW's ABS light would never go out after a very cold start - even with the battery living on a float charger. The ABS would draw such a large whoomp of current when it cycled on, there would be enough juice available from a relatively small battery to cycle it properly.

The light would then blink at you. After a few blocks to get the bike warmed up a bit, I'd pull over, shut it off and restart and make the ABS happy - crap, I don't miss that land yacht one little bit. It was always something.

• 5 months later...
RunningonMT

I wish I’d read this post. I bought a pre abs rear wheel and just rode without the speed sensor. Everything seemed fine ride wise except the rear brake would lock up  and the Speedo didn’t work. I did some practice emergency braking with the front and the abs engaged. 

I chose to ride and a week later got into an accident. It was very sudden but I going about 40 when I began to brake progressively with the front and back while rolling off the throttle. I checked my rear and saw a car right on my six but immediately redirected my attention forward when I felt the front begin to wash out. All I could think was this has never happened then the bike went down and I was tumbling. Broke my wrist and ruined a new helmet but otherwise ok. Bike has some cosmetic damage. 

I’m convinced that guy merged into me and pushed my bike down but I’m wondering if whatever controlled the abs could have gotten confused and maybe locked up the front because of mixed signals. Will probably repost on main page but if anyone gets a notification let me know your thoughts.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, RunningonMT said:

I’m convinced that guy merged into me and pushed my bike down but I’m wondering if whatever controlled the abs could have gotten confused and maybe locked up the front because of mixed signals. Will probably repost on main page but if anyone gets a notification let me know your thoughts.

Not saying it's impossible but I believe it unlikely considering the fail safes designed into the ABS. When you practice tested the fronts you didn't mention using the rear brakes at that time correct? The ring on the rear of ABS only FZ-07 does monitor wheel rotation but not speed for the speedo.

To my knowledge all 2014-17 FZ-07s, with or without ABS, all use the same dedicated speed sensor that is totally separate from the ABS system and the monitoring rings on both wheels of ABS models.

Glad things didn't end up worse for you. Heal quickly. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 2 months later...
longrider1951

I work at a Yamaha dealer and with Yamaha part numbers the first 3 characters designate the model the middle 5 designate the part and the last 4 designate colors, and updates. hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Why not have that fixed by Frame Straight or another place?   They will bring that we'll doctor true better than  Factory specifications for run out.

Matt