The MT-07 Forum

Ebay / Aliexpress Chinese exhaust header or keep my M4?

atxjax

I am starting to dislike how tarnished the stock pipes look plus want a little better flow ( louder noise ) from my exhaust. I am looking at possibly getting this.

I already have the 2WDW tune for M4 on my ECU. So should run damn near the same. What do you guys think? I can get it shipped to my for roughly $158

Only thing that may be an issue is that I do not see a mount point for the rear support. 

ebayshorty.jpg

I have looked at that same exhaust, and also hesitated to pull the trigger.  I also looked at the one labeled "Anodizing Racing", both in the short configuration like the one you posted and with the longer "snail" pipe - not sure which one would work "best".

Couple of videos I have looked at with these exhaust have it sounding quite loud too...

Edit: this might be better off in the Exhaust section?

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, atxjax said:

Absolutely...........Mods can you please move over to exhaust section. Sorry.....

Done :) 

I wouldn't worry about quality or craftsmanship just due to the "brand" of the pipe.  I have an Arrow pipe and it's obviously welded by hand, like I'm sure these will be. As such, there are little flaws here and there, but they are unnoticeable once hung on the bike. I'm sure the build quality of these pipes will be just fine. The quality of materials used will be a toss-up ( might be paper thin or an alloy that doesn't resist stress cracking) and the muffler construction will likely be lack-luster in comparison to "nicer" pipes, but none of us could know without actually having in our hands first. For that price vs $800+ for the "good" systems...I would buy this pipe in a heartbeat. The gamble is small and the money difference is huge. 

However, talking about the tarnished look of the stock pipes. Stock is stainless, so there will not be any rusting going on. These pipes ride right behind the front tire and get all kinds of nastiness flung on them while they are hot, so the slop gets seared on them on a daily basis. They are gonna get dirty and funky looking. If you want to keep any pipe looking fresh you will have to rub them down with scotchbrite or some other light abrasive periodically. Or throw them away and buy new lol. Both options work, I suppose. 

My Arrows look gritty down low where they get "sandblasted" from road debris coming off the tire. Hell, there's an entire area of paint blasted off the front of my engine from the front tire. I currently have a nice display of black squiigly lines all over my headpipes from where I hit a rabbit and his innards cooked to my pipes.  Not much we can do about it. Ride it an enjoy your earned patina that proves it's not a garage queen. 

ajnLuSs.jpg

Dr mossrider's column de bad advice; 

Stuff? Buy it!

Gadget? Try it!

When in doubt, do it!

Road wear? Get ya some!

Regerts? None! 

I'm terrible at asking questions before charging off on a project. I seem to have to learn things the hard way. I've filled a landfill with my failed experiments and had a ball doing so. Learned more from my failures than my successes. It do cost me some money tho I'd like to think I'm good for the economy 🙁

P.S. no matter what pipes you try they will discolor to something other than what they started as. Some better, some worse.

9 hours ago, mossrider said:

Regerts? None! 

I think you spelled it wrong - isn't it "ragrets"?

🤣 

atxjax - I think another member posted something a while back about this exact exhaust?

I thought M4 without baffle was hella loud, doubt you can get much louder than that unless you get straight pipes. The can also looks better than that Chinese black painted Papier-mâché one, just replace the headers my bro

Another possibility is to see if the same Chinese manufacturer will supply headers without the can ( I have donr that a few times) and get a better quality and less antisocial muffler. This is my fav way of going as I have a thing for the carbon and aluminium  TYGAs mufflers. You have to watch the outlet sizes though.

In my opinion because of the fireing order angle ,every 2 into one header for this bike is going to be a compromise so differences in power for any reasonable made header is not going ot be big. Weight is more important, or if you are that way inclined, looks.

The biggest problem with stainless and titanium headers is if the welds have been bathed in inert gas during the welding from the INSIDE as well as the outside. This is important to help reduce cracking.

You can always spray ( or have sprayed) with ceramic clear to reduce the amount of surface staining .

Also spray the headers with nonstick cooking spray after cleaning ( one based on lecithin ). This will help prevent crap building on the pipes. Needs to be used on bikes where you clean them reasonably frequently so you wash off the old stuff and reapply though, or it too will eventually stain the pipes.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

On 10/20/2018 at 4:09 PM, gregjet said:

The biggest problem with stainless and titanium headers is if the welds have been bathed in inert gas during the welding from the INSIDE as well as the outside. This is important to help reduce cracking.

I can attest to this being a tig welder.  If that stuff is not "backed" with gas you end up with a nasty contaminated mess on the other side.

IMO to the OP, save your money and just buy a cheap pack of purple scotch brite sheets and go to town on those headers. I've done this on my stock headers and my Akra headers and they turned out like they just came out of the box. Scotch brite it then clean it with brake cleaner before running the bike again. If you want a little bit more flow out of the stock headers, you can take them off and die grind down the weld on the flanges that go into the motor on the inside of the pipe. Trust me there is plenty of weld there that can be taken off safely. That's an old trick we used to do to stock headers on Honda 400EX's.

• 2 months later...
On 10/19/2018 at 12:20 AM, zooman72 said:

I think you spelled it wrong - isn't it "ragrets"?

🤣 

atxjax - I think another member posted something a while back about this exact exhaust?

I guess you've never seen the Snickers commercial lol!

Personally I try as much as possible never to by anyting from the communists in china.  Yea I know that is hard to do right?  But when a state owned companies that are mimiking captitalism forward all proceeds to make bullets for the red army, I draw the line.  Besides china just makes shitty shet

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

1 hour ago, r1limited said:

Personally I try as much as possible never to by anyting from the communists in china.  Yea I know that is hard to do right?  But when a state owned companies that are mimiking captitalism forward all proceeds to make bullets for the red army, I draw the line.  Besides china just makes shitty shet

Link to shitty shet, pls.

Beemer

2 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Link to shitty shet, pls.

Besides china just makes shitty shet

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

32 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Besides china just makes shitty shet

So does everyone else, maybe China just makes more of it. We'd better delete all this in case China takes over. They'll surely make examples of us and we'll be caned in front of the White House on national TV for the world to see.  😅

Beemer

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 7:11 AM, atxjax said:

I am starting to dislike how tarnished the stock pipes look plus want a little better flow ( louder noise ) from my exhaust. I am looking at possibly getting this.

I already have the 2WDW tune for M4 on my ECU. So should run damn near the same. What do you guys think? I can get it shipped to my for roughly $158

Only thing that may be an issue is that I do not see a mount point for the rear support. 

ebayshorty.jpg

I bought a similar exhaust off of Aliexpress last spring after someone else on this forum got one and had good things to say about it.  I have nothing bad to say about it.  Don't let the 'China makes crappy stuff' peanut gallery scare you. 

The rear mount on mine was a nice hose clamp with a rubber 'gasket' around the canister.  Probably not the most ideal method, but it works.  It was LOUD until I put the db killer in.  Now it's just right.   

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Archived