The MT-07 Forum

Heated grips or heated gloves?

phanomenal07

Just wanna know what y’all think is better. I have the gerbing 12v hero gloves and they are amazing. Coldest day I used them was 22 degrees and my hands were completely warm on a 40 mile mostly highway commute. However  I was thinking about heated grips so I dont have to plug in my gloves every time I ride. I know it’s a lil bratty lol.

• Premium Member

here is another idea:  use them " handlebar mitts" (? whatever they are called)...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Your hands will not stay as warm with the grips as they do in a heated glove. 

With the glove, the heat is insulated by the gloves. With the grips, you'll likely wear heavy gloves and that insulates your hands from the cold as well as the warmth coming from the grips. 

On the flip-side, heated grips are fantastic when it's cool outside mid 40s to 50s, say (especially if it's  raining as well) when you don't have heavy gloves with you. 

If yer gonna ride all year, get em both.

There's hippo hands  https://www.hippohands.com and these https://www.chapmoto.com/bikemaster-hand-mitts-315-6912?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIprj5gZSL3gIV2cDICh1OQAzsEAQYAyABEgInWfD_BwE

for those transAlaska trips. 

I'd go for the gloves. It provides heat where the cold wind is impinging on you fingers. I have some AAA battery heated gloves (for garden use!) which I use over my bike gloves. Their little heat and a second layer works well. 

Just do it! 

My only concern with gloves is that most heated gloves are not rated for a slide. They'll shred apart like most ski gloves.

You also have to haul them around with you wherever you go if you may or may not need them. Heated grips are already there and ready to go whenever you are, and you can wear proper motorcycle gloves with them.

I tried heated gloves last winter with little success. Mainly because the gloves I tried put out very little heat. They seemed incredibly warm testing them out in the shop, to the point of nearly being painful. But once on the road I could feel no heat. I'm guessing they weren't windproof enough. I returned them to the shop and picked up something else. They suggested a different heated glove based on what I explained, but I was having a hard time with the wires. Getting hooked up wasn't an issue and I can't say there were any mobility issue, but I felt confined just knowing about the wires. I think my brain just doesn't work well with the idea, so i felt more tethered down than I actually was. 

So I went with heated grips (Oxfords) and I can't imagine ever owning another bike without them. Like Rick said, they are always there and come in handy year round- especially in the rain. You can buy some winter gloves that are designed to work in conjunction with heated grips. They use thinner palms to let the grip heat come through, but heavy insulation to retain it. When I returned my heated gloves I exchanged them for a pair of BMW Pro Winter gloves. They were very warm when used with heated grips, but the cuffs were really short and tight. I had a lot of trouble getting them to seal up with my jacket sleeves, so I sold them.  They were also very bulky and I had very little feel of the controls. 

I recently picked up a pair of Joe Rocket Windchill gloves. Solid leather gloves that actually block out the wind! They are sewn with a heavy amount of precurve with automatically helps with the bulky feeling. The precurve+ the thin palms seem like they will work very well, but I've only been in chilly weather with them one time. Running 60mph in 45degree temps and the grips on 50% power had my hands super toasty. They have also proven themselves to be 100% waterproof. And like topazsparrow mentioned, these are actually built with a decent amount of protection to them. Oh, and gel palm inserts to help with vibes. 

That said, my experience with cold weather riding and heated grips:

Light gloves+heated grips take me down to about 50 degrees all day on the highway.

Winter gloves+ heated grips take me down to about 40 degrees all day on the highway.

I have ridden in the teens with gloves+grips, but only around town. On the highway at those temps I need handlebar mitts to shed the wind. I can ride all day in the teens with light gloves+grips then. 

qI32uJsm.jpg

q7CVQrJm.jpg

edit: sorry, got a little longwinded...

6 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I tried heated gloves last winter with little success. Mainly because the gloves I tried put out very little heat. They seemed incredibly warm testing them out in the shop, to the point of nearly being painful. But once on the road I could feel no heat. I'm guessing they weren't windproof enough. I returned them to the shop and picked up something else. They suggested a different heated glove based on what I explained, but I was having a hard time with the wires. Getting hooked up wasn't an issue and I can't say there were any mobility issue, but I felt confined just knowing about the wires. I think my brain just doesn't work well with the idea, so i felt more tethered down than I actually was. 

So I went with heated grips (Oxfords) and I can't imagine ever owning another bike without them. Like Rick said, they are always there and come in handy year round- especially in the rain. You can buy some winter gloves that are designed to work in conjunction with heated grips. They use thinner palms to let the grip heat come through, but heavy insulation to retain it. When I returned my heated gloves I exchanged them for a pair of BMW Pro Winter gloves. They were very warm when used with heated grips, but the cuffs were really short and tight. I had a lot of trouble getting them to seal up with my jacket sleeves, so I sold them.  They were also very bulky and I had very little feel of the controls. 

I recently picked up a pair of Joe Rocket Windchill gloves. Solid leather gloves that actually block out the wind! They are sewn with a heavy amount of precurve with automatically helps with the bulky feeling. The precurve+ the thin palms seem like they will work very well, but I've only been in chilly weather with them one time. Running 60mph in 45degree temps and the grips on 50% power had my hands super toasty. They have also proven themselves to be 100% waterproof. And like topazsparrow mentioned, these are actually built with a decent amount of protection to them. Oh, and gel palm inserts to help with vibes. 

That said, my experience with cold weather riding and heated grips:

Light gloves+heated grips take me down to about 50 degrees all day on the highway.

Winter gloves+ heated grips take me down to about 40 degrees all day on the highway.

I have ridden in the teens with gloves+grips, but only around town. On the highway at those temps I need handlebar mitts to shed the wind. I can ride all day in the teens with light gloves+grips then. 

qI32uJsm.jpg

q7CVQrJm.jpg

edit: sorry, got a little longwinded...

If you want to ride comfortably on the highway you should give the gerbing 12v hero/vanguard. They work super well and I know what you mean about feeling tethered. It bother me too for a lil while but my warm hands made it worthwhile. I rode with the hero in 22 degrees at 80+ mph for about 35 miles.

even tho I already have heated gloves I have decided to also get heated grips because I like the idea of wearing my summer gloves in 50 degrees ish weather. I doubt I’ll even feel them through my heated gloves when the temperature drops below 35

2 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

even tho I already have heated gloves I have decided to also get heated grips because I like the idea of wearing my summer gloves in 50 degrees ish weather. I doubt I’ll even feel them through my heated gloves when the temperature drops below 35

My last BMW had heated grips and they got HOT. I was still commuting to work by bike back then and drew the line at about 25F as long as the roads were dry. I wore insulated leather gloves made by Bates (back when it was still made in America)  and could still feel the heat from those grips. The clutch and brake levers just suck the heat away from the gloves, so in traffic it's a constant fight between cold and not so cold. 

so, if cold can seep thru your heated gloves when they are off, you will feel the grips thru them - as long as your hand is wrapped around the grip. 

Having both set-ups would be ideal. 

• Global Moderator

I have battery powered gloves (I did not want to mess with a power cable)  and the Yamaha heated grips.  The gloves heat the top of my fingers and the grips heat the bottom; it works great. 

Archived