The MT-07 Forum

maintinance

floridajon

got my 2018 in april  4900 miles now. Had the dealer do the first maintenance 600 mile did the  oil change at 4000 myself.I plan on keeping this thing a long time and doing the majority of the work myself,, i'd like to know other members experiences and opinions on this topic. i love this bike and shes a definite keeper

• Global Moderator

I have done all my maintenance myself with the exception of the 600 mile check which I had an independent shop do.  I had not done any motorcycle work before but am reasonably competent doing car maintenance.  This is a simple bike that is easy and fun to work on.  It is also satisfying to have done it myself. 

18 hours ago, floridajon said:

got my 2018 in april  4900 miles now. Had the dealer do the first maintenance 600 mile did the  oil change at 4000 myself.I plan on keeping this thing a long time and doing the majority of the work myself,, i'd like to know other members experiences and opinions on this topic. i love this bike and shes a definite keeper

Check out our tech tips section, it has DIY posts on how to do everything yourself. 

https://fz07.org/forum/16/yamaha-fz-07-tech-tips/

If you haven't changed the front suspension springs/damping at least change the fork oil. Yamaha OEM fork oil ( like many other fork oils) has no antioxidants in it and degenerates reasonably quickly . That plus the initial few hundred miles will build up most of the metal wear in the oil and accellerate wear.

While you are there do the spring/ damping upgrade ( cartridge/GVE whichever) and change the rear shock to something less resembling a pogostick. These changes will make THE biggest change to the enjoyment of you bike you can do. Puts the bike into a much more expensive league in terms of handling. Check out the suspension posts. You won't find a better quality of information on many forums anywhere.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Can someone tell me if fork cartridges are that much better than the GVE for spirited riding in the mountains. I do not commute only ride twisty mountain roads but sometimes roads are not so smooth.

Archived