The MT-07 Forum

No more KLR

mcbrien

I was reading that this is the last year for KLR's and replacement will be a redone

Versys  with more suspension and 17 / 21 wire wheels. Maybe I won't have to wait

for Yamaha . I already have a Super Tenere and a FZ 07 to enjoy.

They know that the T-7 is coming and woukd kill KLR sales like the mt-07 killed ninja 650 sales.

That's the downside to yamaha teasing us with the t7 pics and videos for three years. They are showing the other factory's what to build to match the t7 years before it even gets released, kinda dumb if you ask me.

Look for Kawasaki to announce a new dual sport soon.

I rode a Versys 650 yesterday. It's in no way in the same league as the 07 engine. Very nice bike, but a very revvy, soft engine. The KLR 650 has much more bottom end punch than the Versys, but of course the Versys pulls longer on top and runs smoother. I knew the KLR was nixxed, but if the Versys is the replacement...blah. 

I owned a '03 KLR 650 for a year and logged somewhere over 10k miles on that bike in a year. The Versys can never do what that bike did offroad. If I still had my KLR I wouldn't be afraid to line up beside any Versys. Pretty sure a KLR will smoke a Versys 0-60. After that the KLR would fade off. Single track a Versys? No way. May as well single track a FZ07. It only sits 1" higher.

Was doing some reading on the Versys and saw some guys talking about Ninja and ER6N similarities. Apparently when Kawi "tuned the Versys for more bottom end" they actually just used two Ninja exhaust cams in the Versys. If that's true then it explains things IMO. Kawi really should cut specific cams for this engine to be used in the Versys, because it's an extremely nice bike. It just has a very soft engine. 

And yes, I was test riding the Versys with the idea of replacing my FZ. Had the guy do up the paperwork while I was riding and he offered a pretty good deal. 2017 model with full luggage and handguards, +5 yr warranty for $8990 on the road. That's basically getting the LT package for a few bucks under MSRP of the base model. They were gonna give me $4k for my FZ and Kawi was giving another $500 rebate on top of all that.  But after riding this CP2 engine I would never be satisfied with the Kwak lump.  Front end handling is a bit nervous, too. 

The Tracer really needs to come to the States. Versys 650 and Vstrom 650 are two HUGE sellers here. They have NO competition and haven't really progressed in ages. The 07 engine would blow them out of the water. Way more power and better fuel economy at the same time.  I can't fathom why Yamaha is not importing these bikes and completely OWNING the midsize ADV/ Sport touring market.  They should be raking in the dollars with the Tracer 700. 

If the tracer ever does come here and they adventurize it with a 19" or 21" front wheel I'm gonna be pissed. It would ruin a perfect mid weight sports tourer IMO. I need that bike on 17's. 

Gah! I want to a Tracer so bad! I hope I don't have to sumo a T7 to get it!

The KLR feels faster than it is, the Versys feels slower.  But the KLR cannot keep up with the Versys in any form of engine performance and will take a couple of seconds more to reach 60mph.

19 hours ago, Cruizin said:

They know that the T-7 is coming and woukd kill KLR sales like the mt-07 killed ninja 650 sales.

That's the downside to yamaha teasing us with the t7 pics and videos for three years. They are showing the other factory's what to build to match the t7 years before it even gets released, kinda dumb if you ask me.

The KTM 790 Adventure will likely be the bike everybody else must compete with next year. Chances are it will perform at a significantly higher level than anything coming out of Japan. Unfortunately. 

The 650 twin Kwaka motor is a very nice motor but is very heavy. The 07 motor is much lighter I think.  The cassette gearbox on the K may mean they can customize the ratios a bit better for taking in dirt roads.  The 07 variant for off road would need a heavier chassis design though , so you are going to lose so weight advantage, unless they make an aluminium frame.

The tracer would be fine with a 19" . If you want a 21" front, go the new Tenere 07 variant. It is aimed better at dirt.

There is always the venerable DR650 Suzuki. Big torque, easily upgradeable suspension and reliable to a fault.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

On 10/13/2018 at 7:12 PM, Cruizin said:

Would it though?

The KLR was the go-to bike for long distance adventure touring on a miniscule budget. I know a couple people who bought one and all their gear for under 7k and drove from Canada to South america and back.

It's time for an update to that old beast, but i'm sure many will be sad to see it go.

1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

The days of $7,000 touring motorcycles are long gone, unless you buy something used. 

Long gone, as of this year? lol.

KLR was dirt cheap and wickedly capable.

There's guy's settling for less also. I've seen people put well over 80,000km on the CRF250L's - they're slow as shet (so was the KLR mind you) but they can eat up the miles.

17 hours ago, gregjet said:

The 650 twin Kwaka motor is a very nice motor...

I would have to disagree on one point after riding both a 2018 Ninja 650 and a 2018 Z650 this past spring - they were quite "buzzy" at the bars and the pegs, and it was immediately noticeable within just a couple of minutes.  This has been noted quite a bit in other "professional" reviews too.  Everything else about those bikes was quite good (except the instrumentation on the Z650, and just a bit less legroom on both compared to the FZ-07), and my local dealer had a fair deal on either (both under $7000 with ABS, and a 2017 non-ABS white of either for under $6000), and if it had not been for the vibration issue I might be riding one of them instead of my FZ-07...

There are production tolerances, making some z650 engines smooth, others bad vibrators. Most sit somewhere in between, with patches of vibrations throughout the rev range. 

Vibrations tend to make engines feel less willing to rev in my experience, and also as a result lead to short-shifting, further dropping performance.

Zooman. You may have a point. I only used the Kwaka twin for racing. Also used alloy bars which damp vibration in a lot of frequencies. And I had rearset footpegs which decouple the pegs and chassis a fair bit from direct vibration. On that score I have to bow to your experience. Considering the other bike I was riding was a CR85cc engined Castec VTRframe, which used to vibrate so much, I used to have to refabricate new front engine mounts every second race day, I may well have regarded the Kwaka as smooth.

Long live the XR650L!!! I need to grab one of those before they go extinct. LOL!

The KLR was cool and very popular with the adventure crowd. Sad to see it go. The big DR and the 650L are the last (and best IMO) of the old school, go anywhere you want bikes.

If you aren't going to carry big loads ( light touring) the Yammy WR450 geared up is a pretty fine bike. Especially the EFI one. Big tanks available for them . 450 is plenty for non ultra high speed touring.  Even the little versys x 300 shouldn't be overlooked. I have heard very good reports about it's dirt road and tar capabilities. 40HP twin is going to be very useable. That's about the same HP as the KL or the DR singles , but much lighter. Not the torque of course, but very capable. 17l fuel tank for a motor this frugal will give you decent range as well.

I've seen a myriad of bikes come and go over the years.  Some great ones, some turds.

The thing is, time waits on no one.

I've spent a fortune trying to relive and recreate the past by resurrecting old bikes for 40 years only to finally realize it's not the same.

I look at this way.

None of the bike's I enjoy today were around back then. 

$.02

On 10/17/2018 at 5:56 PM, Cruizin said:

The days of $7,000 touring motorcycles are long gone, unless you buy something used. 

A parts guy from my local shop just got back a couple of weeks ago from riding the full TAT (Trans American Trail) on a Suzuki DR650. I talked with him a bit about his ride, and the one thing that came home is he never felt like he need a different bike. The DR worked well for him. He did a smart move as when he got to Portland, Oregon, he put the DR on Craigslist. He sold it in 4 days and flew home (Virginia).

I have another buddy who has done 10s of thousands of miles all over the world on a DR650 as well.

Let's not forget Tiffani who did 60,000 on a FZ-07 in all 49 states and Central America. At least when she bought it, the FZ-07 was a $7000 motorcycle.

I guess it all depends on the degree of comfort features you want. ProCycle sells a poop load of stuff for the DR650 as well as the Honda and Kawi.

4 hours ago, michigan400 said:

Long live the XR650L!!! I need to grab one of those before they go extinct. LOL!

The KLR was cool and very popular with the adventure crowd. Sad to see it go. The big DR and the 650L are the last (and best IMO) of the old school, go anywhere you want bikes.

The XRL may get discontinued, but it'll never go extinct! 

XR's, DR's and KLR's will be roaming the earth for a very long time to come. 

13 hours ago, faffi said:

There are production tolerances, making some z650 engines smooth, others bad vibrators. Most sit somewhere in between, with patches of vibrations throughout the rev range. 

Vibrations tend to make engines feel less willing to rev in my experience, and also as a result lead to short-shifting, further dropping performance.

I have ridden three different motorcycles with that engine (2017 and 2018 Ninja 650, and 2018 Z650), and all felt identical, which was "buzzy" all over the rev range, but most noticeably when just cruising along in the higher gears.  It has been reported quite a bit by others, with opinions ranging from "minor annoyance" to "deal-breaker" which is where I sit.  It was a shame too, because I actually quite liked the bikes otherwise.

8 hours ago, gregjet said:

Zooman. You may have a point. I only used the Kwaka twin for racing. Also used alloy bars which damp vibration in a lot of frequencies. And I had rearset footpegs which decouple the pegs and chassis a fair bit from direct vibration. On that score I have to bow to your experience. Considering the other bike I was riding was a CR85cc engined Castec VTRframe, which used to vibrate so much, I used to have to refabricate new front engine mounts every second race day, I may well have regarded the Kwaka as smooth.

Well, truth be told, I may be more sensitive to it (have Raynaud's syndrome), and I have never enjoyed a motorcycle with significant vibrations in the bars and pegs.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and one man's "annoyance" might be another man's "character"!

What is odd is how nice the Ninja 400 twin is in comparison - why such a difference in the two engines, which are both parallel twins?

On 10/14/2018 at 3:59 PM, faffi said:

The KLR feels faster than it is, the Versys feels slower.  But the KLR cannot keep up with the Versys in any form of engine performance and will take a couple of seconds more to reach 60mph.

You very well may be right, but I would be surprised is the KLR couldn't walk away from a stop light. I was quite shocked how soft the Versys felt. I really wanted that bike, but I guess I expected too much from the engine?  Likewise, I've read about guys struggling to maintain 90mph on a KLR and I gps'd mine at 110...once lol. 

I don't feel that I'm particularly skilled at launching bikes from a standstill, but sometimes I wonder. Drag racing my old XR400 against my buddies WR450F always puts the XR out front for a bit, and he's about 40lbs lighter than me. Similarly, my old KLR used to give a local 690 fits until we got up around 40mph, then he was just flat gone lol. However, I did have about 60ish lbs stripped off my KLR if you believe the claimed wet weights. Mine was 375lbs half tank of fuel. Really miss that old girl. We had a lot of great times together. 

img_20170222_175203847_zps1nyjit58-jpg.1

That point about tolerances is a good one. I tried a Z650 and found a smooth ride. But my Honda Rebel is quite vibey, but others I believe are not so. It just depends on the one you buy. 

Just do it! 

If your klr could do an honest 110, it also made a lot more power than your typical klr - most would struggle to reach 90 during typical riding. Hence it may have been quicker off the plate than a Versys unless the latter was launched at 8k rpm or more by a skilled hand.

I once had  KZ1300DFI. It was very fast, but felt lame. Very lame. I then swapped bikes with my brother  and his XL500S. The single felt like a bullet in comparison. You can imagine my shock when I saw just how fast the 1300 left me behind from a standstill - it was almost like I rode backwards. I still prefer a bike that is slow and feels fast over a fast bike that feels slow. We actually ended up swapping bikes permanently.

• Premium Member

KLR doing 110? must have had a "sponge" on top of the carb slide soaked in nitro 🙊🙈🙉

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

18 hours ago, michigan400 said:

I know a guy in Indiana with one, he's had it for years and swears by it. He does some pretty big jumps with it on trails behind his house and he says he can't bottom it out, it has so much suspension. Great bike in his opinion and he knows bikes. I don't think he'd be willing to let it go, I think he takes it to the bathroom with him he loves it so much.

Beemer

43 minutes ago, Beemer said:

I know a guy in Indiana with one, he's had it for years and swears by it. He does some pretty big jumps with it on trails behind his house and he says he can't bottom it out, it has so much suspension. Great bike in his opinion and he knows bikes. I don't think he'd be willing to let it go, I think he takes it to the bathroom with him he loves it so much.

I currently own a XR400 but would not mind adding another XR to the stable. Love those bikes.

They loose out bad to other models on paper (dyno and spec charts) but perform just as well in real world use. My XR4 makes about 30hp but feels stronger off the bottom than my KTM 450. It's all about putting the power it does make straight into forward momentum and it does that well.

Of course a XR650R would be the dream but not many of those around Michigan. Seem to be more of a "out west" bike.

5 hours ago, norcal616 said:

KLR doing 110? must have had a "sponge" on top of the carb slide soaked in nitro 🙊🙈🙉

Haha  It still surprises me to hear jokes like this. Yeah, it's funny, but that bike would sit on 85mph all day and just thump merrily along. Running it up over 100 was admittedly much easier on street tires vs knobs. And my KLR wasn't saddled with huge windscreens, tail boxes and those godawful aluminum hardcases that look like your bike got sodomized by a Snap-on tool chest. I see lots of KLR owners adding oall these "farkles" and complain about power. Dude, it's 45hp...be realistic. 

Archived