The MT-07 Forum

Track eRgos

howworkclutch

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

Went to VIR on monday (april 1 '19) for a nice brisk (34degrees) round of riding. I didn't get to ride much since the last trackday in oct, but on those rare days that I did get out, I worked on body position. I exaggerated the movements so that I would be more inclined to do it on the track.

Results are a toss-up. I started the day feeling really rusty and stiff. By the end of the day I had developed better throttle control (finally) but body position was still not good enough. Turn1 on vir north keeps pushing up the peg and I'm off as far as my body will allow.

It turns out that my suspension (ohlins front/rear) wasn't correctly adjusted. I got some good advice from a friend and we were able to get the dampers set so the bike stopped being so spongey. I spent the second half of the day getting accustomed to the bike, but it didn't take long to find the footpegs in turn one.

So, I'm going to be getting rearsets.  I need a little more clearance. I think the addition of lower bars would also help, but I don't want to make giant changes to the bike.

Knee exercises continue :D

Next track day is 2.5 weeks away at ncbike. Two straight days. Hopefully the flatness of that track will let me focus on technique instead of equipment.

• Like 3

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member

You have the NIX22 fork cartridges? What spring rate are you running? I just installed them on my FZ.

i also just installed woodcraft clip ons and rear sets, I was hitting stock pegs too.  I haven't ridden it yet with these mods so I can't offer any feedback on them yet.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
2 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

You have the NIX22 fork cartridges? What spring rate are you running? I just installed them on my FZ.

Ed

Yeah nix22. .95 springs. For the longest time I thought they were too stiff but the problem was too little damping. They would oscillate hard on rebound, giving a punchy feel. Increasing rebound damping solved that. Brake dive was another problem but a few clicks + damping solved that. I think i am 4 clicks + from the settings recommended in the manual.

I was impressed by the nix22 and shock. Way better than stock. But not great on the track (still better than stock). But after some tuning that setup is impressive. The bike is on rails now. 

I decided to try cheap clubman bars instead of rearsets. I know i need more clearance but i am hoping that new bars will give me better body position. $30 vs $300 

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member

I have the .95 springs too, I was concerned because I thought they were stiff too, but it was ohlins recommend for my application and I'm sure they know what they are doing. Good to hear your bike handles well with some tuning.

our bikes are too upright for aggressive track riding. Lower bars and higher pegs are needed. Your bars should be fine, the clubmans are a popular choice. 

Ed 

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
howworkclutch

Just a little update to the low-buck trackday bike...

I installed a set of cheap clubman bars. These required the removal of the fake air scoops. Full-lock is never going to happen no matter what you rip off the bike.  With more weight on the nose, and lower upper body, I don't drag pegs and can get faster corner speed. However, the drop is too much for my body-size. 4.5" drop seems typical of a clubman bar. I think 3" would be ideal. Knee pain is gone- but now there is forearm pain. Also, the foot pegs need to go back. I'm too cramped. So rear-sets are absolutely going to be installed before the next trackday. Also- shifting is hit/miss with the stock pegs. My legs are just all bunched up and my foot is at a bizarre angle (in race boots).

Changing to braided lines and better pads made for a marginal improvement in braking. I still don't have enough braking power. I'm considering swapping-in a radial master cylinder. And those super-cool-guy shorty levers are not for trackday. I may go back to the stock levers just to get more leverage.

We ran VIR South for three straight days. Turns 1, 5, and 9 were so sketchy that I almost packed up and went home. But a new rear tire solved the problem. Lesson learned- hot tear will square-off the profile making the bike feel like its on ice during a turn. If you can't see the flat spot in the tire with your eyes try rolling a straight-edge over the profile- you won't be able to miss it.

Back-up awnings are a requirement. The wind got mine during the first session of the first day- spent the whole three days in direct sunlight.
Regards,
Lobster Racing

• Like 2

-HowWorkClutch

3 days! I'm jealous. Sounds like a ton of fun. We have a track day coming up as well. Time to play with some ideas, try some setup changes and polish my rusty nail. 

Here's a life hack I use after donating several EZ ups to the wind over the years. Some folks use their wheels and genny's but thats a pain if you set up a lot.

IMG_20190617_133655.thumb.jpg.274c4b91a47c9a79e3097f3c3e9a2a93.jpg

A couple of bucks for some various sized pails, 2 and 5 gallon from Home Depot. A couple bags of quickrete and some eye bolts. 45lbs for the 2 gallon, 65lbs for the 5er's.

I use my load straps to anchor the canopy after setup, good to about 35-40 mph. Beyond that you're effed. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
3 hours ago, mossrider said:

3 days! I'm jealous. Sounds like a ton of fun. We have a track day coming up as well. Time to play with some ideas, try some setup changes and polish my rusty nail. 

Here's a life hack I use after donating several EZ ups to the wind over the years. Some folks use their wheels and genny's but thats a pain if you set up a lot.

IMG_20190617_133655.thumb.jpg.274c4b91a47c9a79e3097f3c3e9a2a93.jpg

A couple of bucks for some various sized pails, 2 and 5 gallon from Home Depot. A couple bags of quickrete and some eye bolts. 45lbs for the 2 gallon, 65lbs for the 5er's.

I use my load straps to anchor the canopy after setup, good to about 35-40 mph. Beyond that you're effed. 

Thats a great idea. A friend showed up with concrete deck-blocks that he had drilled a hole through and mounted eye bolts- Lowes sells the blocks for 8.30/ea. 41lbs per block. I would probably not buy the eye bolt and bore a horizontal hole to run a rope through.

-HowWorkClutch