The MT-07 Forum

2019 R3 gets USD forks....

blackout

• Premium Member

For the 2019 R3, Yamaha engineers felt 37mm USD forks were needed when switching from the 41mm RSU forks of previous years.  I guess they want them to flex a little.  I wonder if 41mm USD forks are too stiff for a race weight FZ07.  

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator

sweet
might have to get a 19 r3
gf wants one as it is... and it would be a good track bike for us both

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I don't think that flex is something wanted in forks , can be tuned by removing material from the mounting points ( triple something , I don't remember the name ) but flexing forks are sticking forks ... and it is the worst thing in suspensions .. ever.

Maybe are the same forks of the r125 , in that case is just to cheap out a little 

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, Mad said:

I don't think that flex is something wanted in forks , can be tuned by removing material from the mounting points ( triple something , I don't remember the name ) but flexing forks are sticking forks ... and it is the worst thing in suspensions .. ever.

Maybe are the same forks of the r125 , in that case is just to cheap out a little 

I hope the new R3 forks perform better than the old R3 forks.  That would be something, if they did not, and people swapped back to the old.  But you are right, they can design the upper triple to flex.  I know TST industries machined one for the R3 that would do just that.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

No radial brakes, I'm starting to lose interest.  Ktm 390 has radial brakes.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

The price is similar the differences are :

1)r3 2 cylinders  rc 1 cylinder

cheaper to make 1 cylinder but the bigger displacement make the power a lot more usable down low but the top end is really messy 

the r3 is more” supersporty “ the rc is a good mix

2) rc 10 liters in the tank ,r3 14 liters

3)r3 has a shitty rear brake put in the front 

the rc a radial 

4 )the rc has a .. 4/10 dash the r3 a 9/10 with a shift light 

5 ) the rc face had a problem during development.. the r3 not so much 

6 ) the rc is equipped with a slipper clutch

so!

Rc clutch, brake 

r3 dash,tank 

I ... don’t know! 

I may take the r3 because I like the engine and the extra fuel 

USD's are less prone to flex by nature of the design. The upper half of the fork is clamped solidly in the trees and is quite large in diameter. The amount of exposed stanchion on a USD fork is very small, and the axle lug on the bottom of the stanchion is not gonna flex at all. 

Just my guess, but they used the 37mm stanchion due to weight savings. There's no need to run a larger tube and all the extra oil and such that goes with it on such a light bike. Not to mentioned the massive upper tubes and trees it would require.

If a 41mm RSU fork was just as stiff as a 41mm USD fork then there would be no need for a USD fork, right? JMO.

Archived