The MT-07 Forum

MT-07 Valve adjust DIY tech tip needed!

Cruizin

Wintersdark
2 minutes ago, tag said:

If you find draining the coolant daunting or challenging in any way, this is not a task for you. I'm being blunt to save you and other readers expense and heartache.

He didn't say it was daunting or challenging, just that he hadn't needed to.  We all enjoy being able to avoid potentially unnecessary and often messy steps. 

Just now, Wintersdark said:

He didn't say it was daunting or challenging, just that he hadn't needed to.  We all enjoy being able to avoid potentially unnecessary and often messy steps. 

Read his post again please. always reread.

• Premium Member
cornerslider
18 minutes ago, tag said:

If you find draining the coolant daunting or challenging in any way, this is not a task for you. I'm being blunt to save you and other readers expense and heartache.

I drained my coolant to put “Engine Ice” coolant in this spring. Yamaha made draining the coolant REALLY easy on this bike. I own many other bikes that it’s a P. I.T.A. to drain the coolant. I hate taking extra steps that aren’t necessary. This one is a no-brainer-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Wintersdark
2 hours ago, tag said:

Read his post again please. always reread.

Sorry, that he didn't think you'd need to; I phrased that poorly.  The point is that he didn't say it was daunting or challenging, and given how obvious it is that one shouldn't do internal engine maintenance when one is afraid of changing coolant, it comes across as insulting.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 7/14/2019 at 12:46 PM, tag said:

I would ask you to reconsider this. The manual is the way to go. This is a detailed process. It was idiot-proof the way the manual laid it out -- even I did it! But, this isn't for the average board reader who puts on new mirrors and calls it a mod.

I'm documenting my process strictly following the manual - note how I even used a screen shot of it above. The intention for my purposes is to give visuals and small bits I learned that are not explicitly laid out like how to properly remove the cam chain tensioner without that stupid tool in the shop manual. For me this is a learning process as I've never done it before but you're correct the shop manual is absolutely required.

• Like 3

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

• 2 weeks later...

Found this tread when i was looking for info regarding the valve clearance on the MT-07. Figured I couldn't be the only one, made a quick video showing the process on the MT-07.

Hope it helps other owners.

Link to video

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Global Moderator
On 7/16/2019 at 10:15 AM, noodles said:

I'm documenting my process strictly following the manual - note how I even used a screen shot of it above. The intention for my purposes is to give visuals and small bits I learned that are not explicitly laid out like how to properly remove the cam chain tensioner without that stupid tool in the shop manual. For me this is a learning process as I've never done it before but you're correct the shop manual is absolutely required.

Can't wait to see it

I'm almost desparate to get mine done and I don't feel as though I should I try it w/o a guide as I'll have only an afternoon to do it

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I wrote up my experience checking and adjusting the valves. Check it out! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, noodles said:

I wrote up my experience checking and adjusting the valves. Check it out! 

great job man, I shared it on a few facebook groups with great response already,. thank you very very much!

FYI, you are now a premium member, for life.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

great job man, I shared it on a few facebook groups with great response already,. thank you very very much!

FYI, you are now a premium member, for life.

Thank you! This was clearly my first time doing this service so I hope I did it correctly - this forum really helped me build up to it with smaller maintenance tasks leading up to this. I knew I wanted to do this myself when I first bought the machine. Half the reason I got it was to force myself to learn engine repair and maintenance, something I've always wanted to learn. So I hope what I wrote is useful!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, noodles said:

Thank you! This was clearly my first time doing this service so I hope I did it correctly - this forum really helped me build up to it with smaller maintenance tasks leading up to this. I knew I wanted to do this myself when I first bought the machine. Half the reason I got it was to force myself to learn engine repair and maintenance, something I've always wanted to learn. So I hope what I wrote is useful!

What you did will be seen by thousands of MT07 owners all over the world, and will help guide them to save money and do this task themselves.