Jump to content
Cruizin

MT-07 Valve adjust DIY tech tip needed!

Recommended Posts

Cruizin

Sure, by now, someone is ready to check and adjust their valves, right?  Could one of you PLEASE take pics and or video and write a up a DIY on how to check and adjust the valves on an MT/FZ07?   I'll make you a free premium member "ad free" for life. 

 

And, your DIY tech tip will be seen by and help literally THOUSANDS of MT-07 owners for years to come.  

 

All ya gotta do is take pics or even better, video while doing the work, explain the steps, what tools to use and how to get to and check and adjust the valves, and then put it in the tech tips section. https://fz07.org/forum/16/yamaha-fz-07-tech-tips/

 

Who will the great MT-07 god of valve adjustment be?   I'll make ya famous! 

 

 

 

It used to be that people would write tech tips almost every week, to help other FZ-07 owners.  Now days, the new MT-07 crowd come to red a tech tip when they need one, and then they split. I guess thats a whole new different discussion about society and how it has changed in the last 4 years.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
noodles

I'm in the process of arranging to do this myself. I love doing write ups. Unless I blow up my engine I will post my procedure here!!

  • Like 3

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan
1 hour ago, noodles said:

. Unless I blow up my engine I will post my procedure here!!

If you blow up your engine... make sure you get that on video. 😆 


DewMan
 
Just shut up and ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruizin
2 hours ago, noodles said:

I'm in the process of arranging to do this myself. I love doing write ups. Unless I blow up my engine I will post my procedure here!!

I'll give you a premium membership for this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cornerslider

I was seriously considering doing this for the "premium membership" but I've only got little over 4K on the clock.... (I've since upgraded to premium to support the site) I doubt I'd have to shim anything, and it probably wouldn't be useful to anyone that needed to shim....  I think a part of the "problem" is the the FZ-07 platform is built so well, and has so few issues.... People just ride them!!! This is a good thing. I hope someone steps up on the valve maintenance soon- 😎

  • Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
noodles
On 12/28/2018 at 7:54 PM, cornerslider said:

I was seriously considering doing this for the "premium membership" but I've only got little over 4K on the clock

Doing it for something never crossed my mind, I just wanted to share what I learned honestly so someone else can DIY. But I wish I didn't have to do it at all, but I have to drain the coolant to put in a new clutch pack, and while I have it drained how much harder is it to drop the radiator to check the valves? Might as well overhaul the engine while I'm at it eh 🙄


his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cornerslider
10 minutes ago, noodles said:

Doing it for something never crossed my mind, I just wanted to share what I learned honestly so someone else can DIY. But I wish I didn't have to do it at all, but I have to drain the coolant to put in a new clutch pack, and while I have it drained how much harder is it to drop the radiator to check the valves? Might as well overhaul the engine while I'm at it eh 🙄

You shouldn’t have to drain the coolant to check the valves-


""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
noodles
26 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

You shouldn’t have to drain the coolant to check the valves-

FSM wants me to drain it first so I can later remove/move radiator out of the way of the valve cover to access the cams. Not sure how else you could reach the cams.

 

image.thumb.png.65bcffa2461568faa230f03861bb776a.png


his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
peteinpa

you're not getting to it with the radiator in the way.


Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cornerslider
11 hours ago, noodles said:

FSM wants me to drain it first so I can later remove/move radiator out of the way of the valve cover to access the cams. Not sure how else you could reach the cams.

 

image.thumb.png.65bcffa2461568faa230f03861bb776a.png

Most service manuals will call that out for valve adjustment. Probably makes it easier if you have to shim anything. I've done valves on MANY different bikes, and never had to drain the coolant. Usually, you can just dismount the radiator from the frame, and slide it (forward) out of the way.... I've never done my FZ-07 yet, so maybe it is required on this bike. Interested to find out 😎-


""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
noodles

I haven't forgotten about this - I'm closing on a new house this coming week then I'll have the garage space I've craved to get this done. And none too soon, my machine is at ~26,300 miles on the clock.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sorkyah

i should do this soon, but would need a place to do so
apartment parking lot is not a good place to do major internal engine work

 

  • Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Benh972

There used to be a guide on checking valves on a Ninja 250 site, it was even narrated by a Barbie doll. So I had a wrecked Ninja 250 that I bought for 300 bucks, I followed the guide and got to the point of checking clearance with the feeler gages. Then I suddenly freaked out, I realized I had no kind of educated feel for whether the gauges were touching or not. So I just noped out and put everything back. Decided if I ever tried a diy valve job again I would have to do it with someone I trust knows what they are doing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
noodles
On 5/5/2019 at 10:04 AM, Benh972 said:

 I realized I had no kind of educated feel for whether the gauges were touching or not

I was told that the gauges should feel like they are sticking in the slot a little. It's not exactly go/no-go more of an in-between... "feel."


his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NikitaUCLA
Posted (edited)

What is the valve adjustment interval anyway? I hope it's 40,000 miles. When I was in college, I didn't have to adjust the valves on my 1987 FZ1000R until it was well over 40,000 miles.

Edited by NikitaUCLA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bugeyes
On 5/7/2019 at 7:12 PM, noodles said:

I was told that the gauges should feel like they are sticking in the slot a little. It's not exactly go/no-go more of an in-between... "feel."

About right, also check with a slightly thinner gauge that it slides  in without resistanse and a slightly thicker that it doesn't and you will be OK.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
noodles

Ordered the valve shim kit today 😀

  • Like 1

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fzar
50 minutes ago, noodles said:

Ordered the valve shim kit today 😀

Following. This is the long awaited DIY tip that I need. Any information that you give on this DIY tip is greatly appreciated by me. Thanks @noodles👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
noodles
Posted (edited)

I measured my valves and in ready to remove the camshafts, but I can't get the 3mm hex key I have into the hole on the cam chain tensioner. There's a special tool from Yamaha that nobody sells that looks like it's just a 3mm hex but with a hexagon head. I'm correct in thinking I can't remove the CCT before I release the tension, right? Even if I could, how would I pop the spring back out once it was reinstalled. I think I'm going to cut a 3mm key I have down so it'll fit between the airbox and the CCT. 

 

Also, only my exhaust valves need adjusting, but I don't think I can just remove that one shaft, right? The slack from the CCT being released would be on the intake side, so at a minimum I'd need to remove the intake shaft to get that slack to play with... 

Edited by noodles

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tag

I just did a valve adjustment on my FZ07. It went well, as I'm back from hammering those valves at a trackday and the 140 mile round trip to anf from the track. 

First, I'd urge getting a manual and not doing a write-up in a forum. It's detailed work and you need to have those details in order to get those details right. The manual has them.

Second, you need tools and parts that might not get noted in a forum write-up and are better left to a technical writer in a book. I got my Clymer or Haynes, whatever, on eBay for $26. No biggie. Even reading the manual, there are a lot of important details that would easily get overlooked. It's not something to take lightly, like the way you put the cam-chain tensioner back in, for example. I took an old 3mm hex key and shortened it. but it would have been easier if I had just pulled the airbox. I'm not putting the rest here, because I think the manual is invaluable.

All that doom and gloom said, when you do it right you can't screw it up, and it is a moderate difficulty experienced DIY'er job.  That's right, CAN'T screw it up... But, you need good instructions and you need to follow them precisely. If you do it wrong, you can bend or break your cam holders and need to replace the whole head (mated pieces) or you can bend your cams or set your valves to smash into the pistons. The manual is full of tips to get your through that without just caving in and buying a new bike.

Most people overestimate their abilities. Most means that this probably applies to the majority of people reading this thread. Think about that before you decide to pull off that valve cover and you'll save yourself some heartache. Really think about the difference between what you WANT to do, and what you REALLY do. It's important here to go with your strengths.

IMG_1140.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tag
On 7/4/2019 at 3:47 AM, noodles said:

I measured my valves and in ready to remove the camshafts, but I can't get the 3mm hex key I have into the hole on the cam chain tensioner. There's a special tool from Yamaha that nobody sells that looks like it's just a 3mm hex but with a hexagon head. I'm correct in thinking I can't remove the CCT before I release the tension, right? Even if I could, how would I pop the spring back out once it was reinstalled. I think I'm going to cut a 3mm key I have down so it'll fit between the airbox and the CCT. 

 

Also, only my exhaust valves need adjusting, but I don't think I can just remove that one shaft, right? The slack from the CCT being released would be on the intake side, so at a minimum I'd need to remove the intake shaft to get that slack to play with... 

Cutting the key works great. less than 1/2 inch, but not too short...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tag
On 7/4/2019 at 3:47 AM, noodles said:

I measured my valves and in ready to remove the camshafts, but I can't get the 3mm hex key I have into the hole on the cam chain tensioner. There's a special tool from Yamaha that nobody sells that looks like it's just a 3mm hex but with a hexagon head. I'm correct in thinking I can't remove the CCT before I release the tension, right? Even if I could, how would I pop the spring back out once it was reinstalled. I think I'm going to cut a 3mm key I have down so it'll fit between the airbox and the CCT. 

 

Also, only my exhaust valves need adjusting, but I don't think I can just remove that one shaft, right? The slack from the CCT being released would be on the intake side, so at a minimum I'd need to remove the intake shaft to get that slack to play with... 

I should have read your whole post! If you've gotten this far then pulling both cams is nothing. Also before pulling them make double sure your alignment marks are right. take pictures just in case. Also, after replacing and releasing the cam chain tensioner, it will rotate the cams a little bit. When I saw this, I pulled the holders off again to reset the chain, then I noticed that the way the shim buckets were for cyl 2 meant there was no other position for the cam to be in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tag
On 1/3/2019 at 8:29 PM, cornerslider said:

Most service manuals will call that out for valve adjustment. Probably makes it easier if you have to shim anything. I've done valves on MANY different bikes, and never had to drain the coolant. Usually, you can just dismount the radiator from the frame, and slide it (forward) out of the way.... I've never done my FZ-07 yet, so maybe it is required on this bike. Interested to find out 😎-

If you find draining the coolant daunting or challenging in any way, this is not a task for you. I'm being blunt to save you and other readers expense and heartache.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tag
On 10/11/2018 at 1:44 AM, Cruizin said:

Sure, by now, someone is ready to check and adjust their valves, right?  Could one of you PLEASE take pics and or video and write a up a DIY on how to check and adjust the valves on an MT/FZ07?   I'll make you a free premium member "ad free" for life. 

 

And, your DIY tech tip will be seen by and help literally THOUSANDS of MT-07 owners for years to come.  

 

All ya gotta do is take pics or even better, video while doing the work, explain the steps, what tools to use and how to get to and check and adjust the valves, and then put it in the tech tips section. https://fz07.org/forum/16/yamaha-fz-07-tech-tips/

 

Who will the great MT-07 god of valve adjustment be?   I'll make ya famous! 

 

 

 

It used to be that people would write tech tips almost every week, to help other FZ-07 owners.  Now days, the new MT-07 crowd come to red a tech tip when they need one, and then they split. I guess thats a whole new different discussion about society and how it has changed in the last 4 years.. 

I would ask you to reconsider this. The manual is the way to go. This is a detailed process. It was idiot-proof the way the manual laid it out -- even I did it! But, this isn't for the average board reader who puts on new mirrors and calls it a mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.