The MT-07 Forum

2019 season prep

mossrider

• Global Moderator

going off his thread on it, you thing shortening the overall height a smidge would be a good idea? 
when the shock flexes wont the line rub through from contact with the plenum? 

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator

something like removing the green area and re-constructing it to the size/shape of the blue

moss plenum.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yes, close fit.  The clearance is pretty much the same as the Hord filter.   The reservoir line is in a bad spot, but was probably a must for JRI unless they did a custom shock body for the fz-07.  Most of these shocks are built off semi standard bits. 

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sorkyah said:

something like removing the green area and re-constructing it to the size/shape of the blue

moss plenum.jpg

Trial and error! I don't know if it was available ( location+measurements) to be accountable for the JRI at the time? I'm looking forward to this being run.👍

Easy fellas, there's more wiggle room there than it appears. Maybe .040, and being rubber mounted to the tb's helps. 

The shock doesn't fit if I flip it over either, there's not enough room between the shock body and the engine case for the elbow. 

It's all good.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Always room for improvement after you have established a baseline reading from the 1st prototype from  Dyno testing to real world testing... I don't recall anyone doing this type of ram air set up- it's a cool see the different views on how to tackle to ram air project... 

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, sorkyah said:

moss plenum.jpg

I could make the bottom one piece with a similar angle like you show, and that would give added shock clearance.  But once the shape is no longer rectangular, the local CNC cutter starts making money on this project as well.  ;)  I know Carbonsmith had to add clearance for the Penske shock, but that may have been a different issue.  I only get this info off the internets.  Suspension clearance issues was always a bugger when I played with race cars.  There is always something that gets close to hitting.  :)  Truth.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator
4 hours ago, blackout said:

I could make the bottom one piece with a similar angle like you show, and that would give added shock clearance.  But once the shape is no longer rectangular, the local CNC cutter starts making money on this project as well.  ;)  I know Carbonsmith had to add clearance for the Penske shock, but that may have been a different issue.  I only get this info off the internets.  Suspension clearance issues was always a bugger when I played with race cars.  There is always something that gets close to hitting.  :)  Truth.

I know clearance issues all too well

Well, let's get her on the Dyno and get it running there moss

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we have a running roller to take to the dyno shop next weekend. We'll put a good tune on it and hopefully see somewhere between 86-90hp.

IMG_20190308_153844.thumb.jpg.a2f12d2b072c363d96f3d17d5ec0cccb.jpg

Cleaned up some more of the remaining stock wiring harness while we were at it too.

IMG_20190308_153907.thumb.jpg.594b08ef764a452c4985e580554d6c13.jpg

This will be the 4th season racing it. It's held up pretty well but I guess I've spent much of each off season refreshing it along with upgrades along the way. Working on my GED in club racing, lol. Been fun!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, fishtaco said:

any updates?

Picked up the freshly painted fairings today,

bike is at tuners,

waiting on my VP-MGP spec fuel order to come in so we can get er dialed in.

Wading thru the paperwork quagmire, getting memberships, credentials, parts, spares, 

So basically all the boring stuff and no, no final dyno results yet. 😢

• Like 3

This was today's project. I had some left over metal from another project so thought I would make a race cart by adding on to a shop cart with rubber wheels. The idea is to make one trip from trailer to pit lane.

IMG_20190323_145837.thumb.jpg.312778296868ec3e379b65c689331bae.jpg

Makin a mess in the pic above. Below it is starting to take shape.

IMG_20190323_152856515_resized_1.thumb.jpg.79b5d4e6cef72d0fca7dc20d940a1bd5.jpg

Here it is fastened to the cart almost finished. Easy up and lawn chairs go on one side. Table and a set of paddock stands on the other. A weight bucket and stands on one end, another weight bucket and fuel can on the other. Warmers, tools and miscellaneous on top shelf, generator and air tank on bottom.

IMG_20190323_182047.thumb.jpg.bf021187fc1dcbae1dab023b8aa9d768.jpg

Tomorrow and Monday are at the tuners, hopefully we'll have some data soon. I'm losing what little mind I had left here. Be killer at the Piggy Wiggly. Things are starting to look bleak for Suzuki.

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 3

A little more progress. My painter buddy is 250 miles away, my tuner 200 miles in the other direction so I spent a couple days chasing around the state. Here's what we ended up with;

IMG_20190326_212622.thumb.jpg.52455c6e2128c7c6d0e9e7db09524419.jpg

IMG_20190326_212603.thumb.jpg.589d6f0676c39552dc1d2dadd90bf821.jpg

IMG_20190326_175557.thumb.jpg.f04abca7138d65135e50b285af1aa961.jpg

My tuner moved his shop so I had to help haul, hack, rack and build to get him set up enough to get started. You can see I can get high speed air but no where near the volume I need to simulate high speed but we have some ideas.

IMG_20190326_184923.thumb.jpg.8e03f473cf81ab202124291c64ad9666.jpg

But it did lead to some data and a good base run,

IMG_20190326_182727.thumb.jpg.a57f990ad8e7181be2e16ab2b3ef313d.jpg

It runs strong but has a lot of room for fiddling yet. It makes more hp than last years motor but the trace isn't as nice, yet.  I had last year's map on it and it's lean thru the rev range and starves for fuel above 7000rpm according to the EGA.  I have 3 intake systems to test yet as well as getting a good map and tune so there's a lot of work to do still.

Giddyup. 

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 4

• Premium Member

Paint and body work are looking great, thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to the results of different intake systems. 

Watching like a starving eagle over here.

Thanks. @mossrider

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I think a Dyno behind a smallish jet engine would simulate the air pressures/speed needed... Use a wind speed meter to adjust jet engine speed... 😆

Body work looks awesome, it's nice and simple(not cluttered with a shopping list of brands)...

• Thanks 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Since we keep upping our game and pushing harder I decided to finally add a steering damper, if only for peace of mind. Better safe than sorry I guess.

IMG_20190328_201301.thumb.jpg.13588de6a0545355e72478f7e2ef18f5.jpg

Also putzin around with the intake plumbing.

IMG_20190328_201240.thumb.jpg.f0fe7c6d2e4ab61f2dbc9886a6645380.jpg

I got a few looks trotting my cart around the neighborhood on a test run, probably looked like a transient, lol.

IMG_20190328_171202.thumb.jpg.a16dbd6750760b18b0059178a4e21f25.jpg

Is it race day yet?

• Like 3

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, mossrider said:

I got a few looks trotting my cart around the neighborhood on a test run, probably looked like a transient, lol.

Lookin like a homeless M/C mechanic. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

2 hours ago, DewMan said:

Lookin like a homeless M/C mechanic. 😆

...I need this, and this; and that's all I need, I don't need anything else...

Choked on my coffee picturing Navin stumbling around w/his pants down, lol

• Haha 2

• Premium Member

Steering damper, now you are ready for the Isle of Man TT....  :)

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Just now, blackout said:

Steering damper, now you are ready for the Isle of Man TT....  :)

You _ss, now you've done it! Now I've got to look into getting BLR across the pond now! 

Mmmm, IOM...

You did that on purpose.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, mossrider said:

You _ss, now you've done it! Now I've got to look into getting BLR across the pond now! 

Mmmm, IOM...

You did that on purpose.

Tourist Trophy, that's how it started....  ;)

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Just now, blackout said:

Tourist Trophy, that's how it started....  ;)

I'll thank you to keep suggestions to a minimum. I don't need any more hair brained ideas floating around up there like bb's in a boxcar...

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, mossrider said:

...I need this, and this; and that's all I need, I don't need anything else...

Choked on my coffee picturing Navin stumbling around w/his pants down, lol

Gotta love "The Jerk". Comedy gold.

*jumping around in excitement while screaming* "The new phonebooks are here! The new phonebooks are here!!" 🤣

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• sorkyah locked and unlocked this topic