The MT-07 Forum

2019 season prep

mossrider

• Global Moderator
15 hours ago, mossrider said:

Um, I believe it says 'track talk' at the top of this page, so it dern well does belong here.

Good on you for venturing to the track, you'll have a blast. With your simple mods your bike should be ready to let you test your metal. Track days are a fun and safe (ish) way to feed the adrenaline bug. "I hated it", said no one ever.

Now, let's have no more talk of glorious rides and open roads and warm days till the yard in the above pic reappears. I will hunt you down, I know some people....

2019-0106-1006.jpg   it's a bit nippley but its good riding weather

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Just now, sorkyah said:

it's a bit nippley but its good riding

You can't always be first but you could be next...

• Premium Member

Got my woodcraft clip ons installed, 1.5 drop in the down position. I did not like the high peaks and sharp bends in the throttle and clutch cables. (I think RojoRacing mentioned this too) Played around with throttle and clutch cable routing for  awhile until I found a layout I liked. Everything moves smoothly,  lock to lock, no binding or pulling.  Instlled OE R6 throttle tube.  Installed my Spiegler brake lines,  had to play with the routing on those too. Any just finished the installation of Woodcraft rearsets.

The Woodcraft parts are really nice quality and fit perfectly. 

Ed

IMG_3978.jpg

IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

• Like 3

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got some cool stuff shipped in but no time for a while to play with it 🙄

The head, with fresh valve job and Web cams,

IMG_20190116_135748927_HDR_1547648487920_resized.thumb.jpg.6a387d9790a260ba13423f2d22725699.jpg

Cams come with a word of caution right on the box, lol;

IMG_20190115_082502802_resized.thumb.jpg.086f51d7e2a1e75ff5568486687b6e12.jpg

Throttle bodies and boots bored for better flow,

IMG_20190116_135454463_resized.thumb.jpg.7fff2d0135bb97c6f340eb1946d287a1.jpg

Head ported to breath deeper,

IMG_20190116_135341756_resized.thumb.jpg.57bbfc311044f24c804bd1e28eb22e54.jpg

Is it summer yet!?!?

• Like 7

• Premium Member

Sweet 

5 hours ago, mossrider said:

The head, with fresh valve job and Web cams,

IMG_20190116_135748927_HDR_1547648487920_resized.thumb.jpg.6a387d9790a260ba13423f2d22725699.jpg

Cams come with a word of caution right on the box, lol;

IMG_20190115_082502802_resized.thumb.jpg.086f51d7e2a1e75ff5568486687b6e12.jpg

Throttle bodies and boots bored for better flow,

IMG_20190116_135454463_resized.thumb.jpg.7fff2d0135bb97c6f340eb1946d287a1.jpg

Head ported to breath deeper,

IMG_20190116_135341756_resized.thumb.jpg.57bbfc311044f24c804bd1e28eb22e54.jpg

Is it summer yet!?!?

Hey Moss, who did the work ?

3 hours ago, fishtaco said:

Hey Moss, who did the work ?

Zoran @ TWF 

www.twfracing.com

As seen above.

• Premium Member

I thought that was his work. 

I love the WARNING, Classic.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
18 hours ago, mossrider said:

What kind of hp and torque will you be getting after the mods?

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

1 hour ago, bornagainbiker said:

What kind of hp and torque will you be getting after the mods?

Hopefully 125/60 but be happy around 86ish/mid 50 with a Dyno tune and VP spec fuel

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Hopefully 125/60 but be happy around 86ish/mid 50 with a Dyno tune and VP spec fuel

Stock rods are only good till 100 hp I've heard. I'd be shocked if you don't surpass 86/50 considering most stock engines are good for 80ish with akra, airbox and a tune.

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Find a place to hide one of these.  :)

1022161931.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I've posted this graph before. (keep in mind all of what follows includes the same modified stock airbox, appropriate dyno tune, flashed ecu,  pc5, spec fuel and Yosh full exhaust)

temp_3-2.thumb.jpg.17daba2bc8c62b4f01bb4404c68c6064.jpg

The blue line on this graph is a stock motor with the same set of cams in it this motor will have. Thats the motor we ran Pittsburg with last September. Add the bored throttle bodies and head work and you can extrapolate where this one should end up. 

This motor would be killer, probably 95 or better with all this work plus rods and pistons, but then you have to do tranny blue print, polish, shim, shot peen, under cut and cryo treat, AND pay for everything including labor. Full on MA motors are going $4,500+, just ouch.

That red line was fun while it lasted, lol. That was the one we built and blew up at Road America last year. That was the green trace motor with cams, a decked head and Spears high compression pistons. The lesson there was to spend the money on rods while you have the cases split to do pistons. I didn't, so trying to save a grand may have cost me 3, I paid a premium for my mistake. Just imagine that one with a ported head and bored tb's!

Playing in this sand box certainly is FUN but it do be expensive.

I'll say it again, a pipe, flash and airbox is smart money on the street. More than that just bend over. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mossrider said:

I'll say it again, a pipe, flash and airbox is smart money on the street. More than that just bend over. 

This is the conclusion I came to, and the level of mods I'm willing to do to my race bike.

Any suggestions as far as pipe and airbox?

Since these are the only mods I'm planning on doing, I'm willing to spend a little more and get higher quality components.

I'm looking at FlashTune ECU, plus a dyno tune once I get both installed.
https://ftecu.com/shop/category/2015-fz7/

• Like 1

Just now, Nevets said:

Any suggestions as far as pipe and airbox?

Since these are the only mods I'm planning on doing, I'm willing to spend a little more and get higher quality components.

Not being familiar with your rule book, I would;

put a flash on, your pick, or a pc5, I have both as the pc is easier for me to mess with track side for quick shifter and such

I like the Yosh pipe, it's cheapish, almost all performance tuning stuff/work was designed around it, it sounds great and crashes decently. Nothing wrong with the others tho.

Put a Hord airbox on if rules allow, if not (like mine), modify the stock box (run w/o filter, lid off, wings cut off, holes added, shorter opened up intake rubbers)  or just run open or filtered bells. 

They run pretty well in superstock/supersport trim compared to the SV or similar Lightweight/Twins class bikes. You'll get 75ish hp with better midrange and a softer top end. They tend to pull hard coming off corners and lay down on the longer straights. Easy to over brake due to engine braking and soft top after 8500rpm so you have to realy pay attention to entry and keep up corner speed.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I have the FTecu and would go with Power Commander if I was to do it over.  You need internet connection to make changes to your FTecu map and if you lose connection during upload you brick your ecu.  The PC makes more sense on a race bike if you want to mess with maps at the track.

@mossrider, are you running the stock box because of the MotoAmerica rule that requires an actual airbox, no open filters?  Do you know what the AP ram air sells for?  Looks like it's 3d printed with carbon fiber filament.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Just now, blackout said:

Mossrider, are you running the stock box because of the MotoAmerica rule that requires an actual airbox, no open filters?  Do you know what the AP ram air sells for?  Looks like it's 3d printed with carbon fiber filament.

The first 2 years I raced this bike I had to have a 'stock, unmodified airbox' in place to stay within our Supersport rules. Once I decided to race MotoAmerica I knew I would be modifying my motor beyond Supersport rules. This also opens up the airbox rule but decided to use the stock but modified box for simplicity since we had been working with it on the dyno. We make about the same power with the modified box as the Hord box makes but that's not legal in MA.

I not sure what he's getting for those ram air boxes, (I heard 850 from 1 guy who heard from another guy) . The guys I talked to using them said they were getting an additional 3ish hp on top but were also running all the rest of the motor goodies with it making for an expensive package. On a lesser motor I don't know if you'd get 3hp. Even tho we were down between 8-15hp to the front runners our trap speeds were very competitive. We had comparative hp with about half the grid.

I had to draw the line somewhere.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, mossrider said:

The first 2 years I raced this bike I had to have a 'stock, unmodified airbox' in place to stay within our Supersport rules. Once I decided to race MotoAmerica I knew I would be modifying my motor beyond Supersport rules. This also opens up the airbox rule but decided to use the stock but modified box for simplicity since we had been working with it on the dyno. We make about the same power with the modified box as the Hord box makes but that's not legal in MA.

I not sure what he's getting for those ram air boxes, (I heard 850 from 1 guy who heard from another guy) . The guys I talked to using them said they were getting an additional 3ish hp on top but were also running all the rest of the motor goodies with it making for an expensive package. On a lesser motor I don't know if you'd get 3hp. Even tho we were down between 8-15hp to the front runners our trap speeds were very competitive. We had comparative hp with about half the grid.

I had to draw the line somewhere.

That's what I had thought.  Thanks. 

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

So it' was -31°F actiual (no wind) here this morning, makes it kinda tough to wanna go out to the shop and putz...sigh... 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, mossrider said:

So it' was -31°F actiual (no wind) here this morning, makes it kinda tough to wanna go out to the shop and putz...sigh... 

What!! That's ridiculous. I'm sure you'll have everything ready for when it needs to be ready, sometimes you have to call it a day for the high-stool and plan your next move, or get a heater!! (that's seriously cold)

We got our first snow and ice of 2019 here this morning, luckily I got in a good ride yesterday. I'm reluctantly calling this the start of bike riding hibernation. Time to spend some $$$ on upgrades and get intimate with her again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 5:27 AM, mossrider said:

Zoran @ TWF 

www.twfracing.com

As seen above.

Looks like our motors are very similar, if not the same build. I have a different intake set up then you do though. Going to the tuner tomorrow with the MA spec VP MGP. We'll see the outcome. 😀

Shoutout to Zoran

• Like 1

Just now, scratchpad said:

Looks like our motors are very similar, if not the same build. I have a different intake set up then you do though. Going to the tuner tomorrow with the MA spec VP MGP. We'll see the outcome. 😀

Shoutout to Zoran

Lemme know what you think of the new spec fuel. I have a can on order.

1 minute ago, mossrider said:

Lemme know what you think of the new spec fuel. I have a can on order.

Without having any knowledge of fuel heres my observations. I spilled a little bit. It doesnt vaporize fast like MR12 or a true race fuel does. A small puddle on the floor stayed there for a while until i wiped it. It appears very oily. Its a yellow color. It doesnt knock your dick in the dirt when you get a whiff of it. I imagine its no different then Apex, just a safe fuel with no advantages.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 9:58 PM, mossrider said:

Me modding an old engine stand...

I noticed a monster Banshee (RZ350) 2 stroke might fit in here pretty well, 100 hp, half the weight of fz motor...

Now that would be a miserable pig to race

IMG_20181226_181813.thumb.jpg.85cc83776183bf7d5cc7b92b678b3be4.jpg

Must

maintain

focus

Did you see where a guy put an RZ350 motor in an R3 chassis???? totally sketchy!

• Like 1

Just now, TenRacing said:

Did you see where a guy put an RZ350 motor in an R3 chassis???? totally sketchy!

There's a video around here somewhere of that. Zach Corts and Ari Henning running at chuckwalla.

• Like 1

• sorkyah locked and unlocked this topic