The MT-07 Forum

2019 season prep

mossrider

So.

I go prancing out to the shop with coffee mug in one hand, shiney new torque wrench in ta udder to get my roll on this morning.

IMG_20190209_163844.thumb.jpg.9b26ca3f39d1016f8b780bce82c55f36.jpg

Zoom! Out go my feet, flat on my back. Good news is at -26F the coffee froze in mid air and I saved the wrench.

Bad news, my favorite FZ07 forum cup was not so lucky, I'm gonna miss it. And I pulled a diaphragm muscle. It's not that bad; only hurts when I breath, laugh, talk, or move. Makin progress but it's slow.

IMG_20190209_164017.thumb.jpg.86733efc2eeffd01f288679c43d6bf72.jpg

Like me.

IMG_20190209_165345.thumb.jpg.e96fe768f5f7d1efe2af3da9c3bef7aa.jpg

Need to get this back together so I can fit up that shiney new air box kit when it gets here.

Woot!

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, mossrider said:

in ta udder

Your killing me with the vocabulary similarity to actual pronunciation.👍 So similar to how I speak.

Bad news, my favorite FZ07 forum cup was not so lucky, I'm gonna miss it.

Do you have a picture? or will that be in the obituaries of the local paper!😂

It's not that bad; only hurts when I breath, laugh, talk, or move.

Jeez, I hope you get back up to speed soon. 

• Premium Member

So.

I go prancing out to the shop with coffee mug in one hand, shiney new torque wrench in ta udder to get my roll on this morning.

IMG_20190209_163844.thumb.jpg.9b26ca3f39d1016f8b780bce82c55f36.jpg

Zoom! Out go my feet, flat on my back. Good news is at -26F the coffee froze in mid air and I saved the wrench.

Bad news, my favorite FZ07 forum cup was not so lucky, I'm gonna miss it. And I pulled a diaphragm muscle. It's not that bad; only hurts when I breath, laugh, talk, or move. Makin progress but it's slow.

IMG_20190209_164017.thumb.jpg.86733efc2eeffd01f288679c43d6bf72.jpg

Like me.

IMG_20190209_165345.thumb.jpg.e96fe768f5f7d1efe2af3da9c3bef7aa.jpg

Need to get this back together so I can fit up that shiney new air box kit when it gets here.

Woot!

So, your driveway is more dangerous than the race track?!  :)

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Just now, blackout said:

So, your driveway is more dangerous than the race track?! 

I'm forbidden from having tools or working in the attached garage. 

I think the shop is really quite safe untill someone goes there. I feel like Tim Taylor

Edit:

After checking my math, where I think I went wrong was at "prancing". At roughly #250 I should have "trundled".

Edited by mossrider
  • Haha 2

Still poking along.

Got the motor buttoned up,

IMG_20190209_201736-2.thumb.jpg.1307a7d5f99cb4c9ce3358c7923e21fd.jpg

Out with the old,

IMG_20181208_231151.thumb.jpg.3c81911beeeafa82657abb9805660ffb.jpg!

In with the new,

IMG_20190210_123129.thumb.jpg.e4f9fa2afa5c95b050c7347b0835b6fa.jpg

Suzuki assassin nearing completion.

Next up finish motor install, electrical, cooling, suspension, wheels, controls and bodywork.

But first, coffee break.

• Like 4

Just now, bornagainbiker said:

I love it. 😂  Hope you feel back to chipper soon.

Oh it's all good. Poking is my normal pace.  Right as rain taday.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

Hope you replaced the plugs while you had the engine out of the frame--you know what a bugger they can be when the engine is in the bike.  LOL

• Like 2

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, mossrider said:

Still poking along.

Maybe there's a lesson for people of lesser experience (ME) in that statement. I think so, I find myself realising I should have taken a step back and evaluating before jumping right in.

2 hours ago, mossrider said:

Right as rain taday.

I'd lioke to believe ya, but der's no harm in taken a rest. I know, I know you just couldn't leave well alone .Your knowledge and honesty is unparalleled and has helped me greatly in being realistic about what I want to achieve in a premise of cost vs ROI.

4 hours ago, mossrider said:

Suzuki assassin

So humble, it nearly made me feel sorry for the opposition. 

Just now, fzar said:

Maybe there's a lesson for people of lesser experience (ME) in that statement. I think so, I find myself realising I should have taken a step back and evaluating before jumping right in.

I'd lioke to believe ya, but der's no harm in taken a rest. I know, I know you just couldn't leave well alone .Your knowledge and honesty is unparalleled and has helped me greatly in being realistic about what I want to achieve in a premise of cost vs ROI.

So humble, it nearly made me feel sorry for the opposition. 

Only thing I've learned over the years is to wade into the deep end, don't jump.

An honest man would have said the clutch cover is off in the one picture because 'someone' dropped the cam chain into the cases and to get it back on the drive sproket you have to open her up. Good thing I'm not honest.

No need to feel sorry for the competition. They're plotting my demise as surely as I theirs. Racers are a secretive lot and don't post up like I do because they dont want others to know whats going on behind the curtain. And, believe it or not there's some cheating going on on race tracks around this rock. Some will take issue with that statement but they won't open their motors unless you pay the protest fee, lol. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mossrider said:

Still poking along.

Got the motor buttoned up,

IMG_20190209_201736-2.thumb.jpg.1307a7d5f99cb4c9ce3358c7923e21fd.jpg

Out with the old,

IMG_20181208_231151.thumb.jpg.3c81911beeeafa82657abb9805660ffb.jpg!

In with the new,

IMG_20190210_123129.thumb.jpg.e4f9fa2afa5c95b050c7347b0835b6fa.jpg

Suzuki assassin nearing completion.

Next up finish motor install, electrical, cooling, suspension, wheels, controls and bodywork.

But first, coffee break.

My back and knees hurt looking at that bottom picture. Get a table lift already.

Do you think the suzuki guys are assassinating themselves by getting the 2mm overbore allowed? Im envisioning lots of maintenance and/or broken motors and maxxed credit cards. Be careful for what you wish for, cause you might just get it.

On 2/11/2019 at 3:30 PM, scratchpad said:

My back and knees hurt looking at that bottom picture. Get a table lift already.

Do you think the suzuki guys are assassinating themselves by getting the 2mm overbore allowed? Im envisioning lots of maintenance and/or broken motors and maxxed credit cards. Be careful for what you wish for, cause you might just get it.

Haha, I have a lift table, used it as a bench to put the motor together. Better yet I use my atv jack and a set of hockey puck shims to lift the motor right into the frame, holes line up, don't even have to set my coffee down, lol.

IMG_20190211_101201.thumb.jpg.ba5c4cd16e2f58c4b6a0a82b4498ee0e.jpg

They can cry me a river, lol. In a class with virtually open motor rules you gotta pay to play. We all did. It costs money to leave the SS. There's gonna be a few broken egg shells on the Suzuki side of things. I used to run an SV and my race partner still does. They somehow make pretty good race platforms, gonna be a fun season.

En garde!

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 1

To prevent additional badgering I got it into a roller and on to the lift.  I have everything needed except for maybe a fastner or random gasket which I can make anyway. Now I can putz on final assembly.

IMG_20190213_172645.thumb.jpg.3a8eb4db45762c14c7702983e9d37ba7.jpg

Now if I could only remember how it all goes back together.

IMG_20190213_174028.thumb.jpg.22cc378e09e42bf109afb55ebcb607b9.jpg

There may be folks with more motor, less weight, better riders or kit but I doubt anyone has more fun farting around than we do. We try not to take ourselves too seriously.

• Like 4

I found this mildly interesting. I was going to swap my drive sproket from one motor to the other since it looked pristine on the visable side. Turns out the drive yokes were ok but the inside face of the sproket had been worn significantly. You can clearly see the wear pattern left by the inner link plates. I clean my drive parts with kerosene after every race weekend and put a light coat of wax on them.

3 sessons-1 drive sproket. 2 D.I.D. Erv3 chains. 42 (no go, rubs swinger), 43, 44, 45  tooth rear sprokets. Looks good on this side. The chains are in ok shape too, I keep one in the spares kit. Luckily I've never needed a spare one but the racer that did was sure glad I had one laying in the toolbox, lol.

IMG_20190214_145212.thumb.jpg.135e1541bf7d9203cd87792bda6d5d45.jpg

However, this side looks a little different. Those patterns are a couple thousanths deep. Obviously an alignment issue at some point. But all in all not bad for roughly 4500 wfo miles. Diggity!

IMG_20190214_153820.thumb.jpg.22b4720ea7e354fa16d4ab2e61389ff2.jpg

What next?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, mossrider said:

I found this mildly interesting. I was going to swap my drive sproket from one motor to the other since it looked pristine on the visable side. Turns out the drive yokes were ok but the inside face of the sproket had been worn significantly. You can clearly see the wear pattern left by the inner link plates. I clean my drive parts with kerosene after every race weekend and put a light coat of wax on them.

3 sessons-1 drive sproket. 2 D.I.D. Erv3 chains. 42 (no go, rubs swinger), 43, 44, 45  tooth rear sprokets. Looks good on this side. The chains are in ok shape too, I keep one in the spares kit. Luckily I've never needed a spare one but the racer that did was sure glad I had one laying in the toolbox, lol.

IMG_20190214_145212.thumb.jpg.135e1541bf7d9203cd87792bda6d5d45.jpg

However, this side looks a little different. Those patterns are a couple thousanths deep. Obviously an alignment issue at some point. But all in all not bad for roughly 4500 wfo miles. Diggity!

IMG_20190214_153820.thumb.jpg.22b4720ea7e354fa16d4ab2e61389ff2.jpg

What next?

Could you shim it?  And are the teeth aligned the same side to side within the splined hub part of the sprocket?  If you know what I mean.  I have not had that part of the bike off yet, so not too familiar.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:31 PM, mossrider said:

Um, I believe it says 'track talk' at the top of this page, so it dern well does belong here.

Good on you for venturing to the track, you'll have a blast. With your simple mods your bike should be ready to let you test your metal. Track days are a fun and safe (ish) way to feed the adrenaline bug. "I hated it", said no one ever.

Now, let's have no more talk of glorious rides and open roads and warm days till the yard in the above pic reappears. I will hunt you down, I know some people....

I made a deal with the devil …… I am ready to take payment. If no cash, I do accept BBQ.

Beemer

12 hours ago, blackout said:

Could you shim it?  And are the teeth aligned the same side to side within the splined hub part of the sprocket?  If you know what I mean.  I have not had that part of the bike off yet, so not too familiar.

Just gonna replace it and be done. It's time.

Just now, Beemer said:

I made a deal with the devil …… I am ready to take payment. If no cash, I do accept BBQ.

If I ever get my shet squared away I'm coming down there and make you buy me some bbq. Maybe race Homestead, Daytona or Jennings?

• Like 1

Mossrider, my front sprocket did the same thing. Ended up being a distorted chain slider for me. The guide rib was shoving the chain around, so I sliced the rib off the guide and haven't had any unusual wear in the last 5k miles. Also, the weird chain noise went away that the bike had always made. 

I saw a pic recently that I can't seem to find now. You had built up some layers of foam on a seat. I've got a seat I'm building and can't find any foam firm enough for the job. What did you use and how do you determine what density to use/order?

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1

Just now, shinyribs said:

Was that not you that recently posted pictures of seat foam?

Nope, you have me confused.

Didn't get much done this past week but managed to shoe horn the plenum into place. Now that is close.

The resivoir line on my JRi is a snug fit.

IMG_20190219_163409.thumb.jpg.017f3e7833a0518fbbbae26d1b2a20f6.jpg

Blackout didn't have bodywork mounts on his bike for mockup but couldn't have lined em up any better, lol. There is actually no interference using the flexible hose.

IMG_20190219_155754.thumb.jpg.ca61df9a086871c264afa3ccca13bfdd.jpg

poking along...  

• Like 2

• sorkyah locked and unlocked this topic