The MT-07 Forum

Free play in the front brake lever?

captainkool4

captainkool4

I've noticed there's some small free play in my front brake lever.  And I have to pull the brake back about 3/4 inch to an inch before it feels like its solidly being puled.  Before that, its like light and airy, but will still engage the front brake (After the small amount of freeplay).  Is this normal?  Do you guys feel the same about your front brake?  it does not feel tight from the moment I begin pulling it back.  New bike 6 months old.

I have heard that there can sometimes be a bit of air left in the front brake line "loop" to the opposite caliper.  Some people have loosened and secured that portion of the brake "high" overnight and bled the brakes the next day to remove any air remnants with success.  Someone smarter than me should come along with better info. but this is where I would start.

Just checked mine. If yer measuring that freeplay out at the ball end of the lever, I have just shy of 3/4" of free play.

Keep in mind, the pads must be able to retract a wee bit and the piston inside the master cylinder must be able to return far enough back to allow fluid expansion from the heat that develops inside the calipers. If you had no freeplay, that fluid expansion would create pressure in the system and self-apply the brakes - never a good thing. 

you do know the lever is adjustable - that won't change the free play, but you can move the lever further away from the bar if you feel it's getting too close for your hand size. 

Oh, air in the system, whether trapped in that loop of hose over top of the wheel or elsewhere will give the lever a mushy feel, but won't change the free play 

Archived