The MT-07 Forum

My 2WheelDynoWorks experience

Fugitive

Hi guys, I just want to give the community some feedback about my recent experience with 2WheelDynoWorks.

I have a 2018 MT07, stock except for Akra Ti (baffle in).  The bike is still being run in.  I started looking in to ECU tuning because I like everything about the bike except for the abrupt/snatchy throttle response - particularly throttling on around corners.  The other factor was although the Akra Ti works with stock mapping, it isn't optimised for it.

I considered the different options for fuel management - EJK, PC, FTECU etc but the ECU tune was at the top of my list as it made sense to me to solve the issue at the source.  I was a bit apprehensive about the idea of sending my ECU away at first - mainly because the unit itself is expensive and mailing it overseas (I'm in Australia), it's in the hands of the mail gods...But, I got in touch with 2WDW to ask them some questions to help me decide.  Nels was super-responsive, and his great customer service and obvious knowledge of the 07's sealed the deal.

I sent the ECU away and while it was off the bike, removed the snorkel from the airbox.  The turnaround on the mapping was incredibly quick, and I received it much sooner than I expected.

The only minor hiccup came when I plugged it back in to the bike - the check engine light was illuminated indicating a fault code.  I got in touch with Nels and he said it's uncommon for the MT07's to do this, but sometimes the MT09's ECUs throw codes after being bench-flashed while off the bike - I believe when powered on they look for sensors that aren't there, and store a code.  Now it's worth mentioning the other thing I did when the ECU was off the bike, was turn on the ignition to Parking mode, when I was adjusting the rear brake pedal switch light - so this may have infact been the cause of the fault code.  Whatever the cause, it was a very simple fix, I took it in to the dealer and they cleared the codes - I was told it had nearly every code showing. 

With that out of the way, I'm really enjoying the result.  The on/off throttle issue is gone, there's no popping on decel, and the bike just feels smoother - whilst still being punchy - throughout the whole range I ride in.  Admittedly, with the bike still being run in, I haven't been too crazy with the throttle but the difference is certainly noticeable.   

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, and would definitely recommend a remap from 2WDW as a great option for those interested in optimising their bike's fuel management.  Nels and 2WDW were great to deal with!

49 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

Admittedly, with the bike still being run in, I haven't been too crazy with the throttle but the difference is certainly noticeable.   

Congrats!

As you are still breaking it in, now is the perfect time to do the one thing to allow you to really appreciate the flash... add the R6 throttle tube. If you are not familiar with this, the OEM Yamaha R6 throttle tube will fit your MT-07 perfectly. The throttle turn is less than stock allowing for a quicker power hit. There are tons of info on this forum about adding that tube. I have both the 2WDW flash and the R6 tube, and the combo is great. BTW you want the OEM tube, not the Motion Pro. Here's an Amazon link for the tube - Enjoy!

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-2C0262400000-Grip-Assembly/dp/B005C59NO2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1538787130&sr=8-2&keywords=r6+throttle+tube+for+fz07

On 10/6/2018 at 10:55 AM, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Congrats!

As you are still breaking it in, now is the perfect time to do the one thing to allow you to really appreciate the flash... add the R6 throttle tube. If you are not familiar with this, the OEM Yamaha R6 throttle tube will fit your MT-07 perfectly. The throttle turn is less than stock allowing for a quicker power hit. There are tons of info on this forum about adding that tube. I have both the 2WDW flash and the R6 tube, and the combo is great. BTW you want the OEM tube, not the Motion Pro. Here's an Amazon link for the tube - Enjoy!

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-2C0262400000-Grip-Assembly/dp/B005C59NO2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1538787130&sr=8-2&keywords=r6+throttle+tube+for+fz07

Thanks!  I've read a lot about this mod and it's definitely on the list.  The only thing stopping me from doing it are my Oxford heated grips.  I had them added to the bike before it was delivered to me and I'm guessing they glued the RHS one to the current throttle tube, so I don't want to wreck it in the process of removing it...it's something I'll investigate though, for sure.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/6/2018 at 3:55 AM, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Congrats!

Fugitive: I followed your link and bought this R6 tube. I'm placing an order at 2WDW tonight for an ECU flash/Yoshi R77 pkg. Do you know of a YouTube vid or good resource I can use to install this throttle tube? All I got was the part without instructions.

• 3 weeks later...

I took advantage of the Black Friday sale and sent my ECU to 2WD Dyno.  It was returned in just a few days - much faster than I expected -  and within 15 minutes of taking the box out of the mailbox I had it back on the bike and the covers back on.  Stupid easy to do.  I also did the R6 throttle mod at the same time.  Took it out for a quick 10 mile ride and the bike felt transformed - smoother throttle response, and so much smoother rolling off the throttle - the engine braking is greatly reduced.  My bike is bone stock in terms of engine mods - stock exhaust, etc.  I really wasn't worried about more power - it's fast enough already to scare me - but even for me the smooth throttle response and reduction in engine braking made the ECU flash more than worth it.  And the folks at 2WD were a pleasure to deal with!

10 minutes ago, garyli said:

I took advantage of the Black Friday sale and sent my ECU to 2WD Dyno.  It was returned in just a few days - much faster than I expected -  and within 15 minutes of taking the box out of the mailbox I had it back on the bike and the covers back on.  Stupid easy to do.  I also did the R6 throttle mod at the same time.  Took it out for a quick 10 mile ride and the bike felt transformed - smoother throttle response, and so much smoother rolling off the throttle - the engine braking is greatly reduced.  My bike is bone stock in terms of engine mods - stock exhaust, etc.  I really wasn't worried about more power - it's fast enough already to scare me - but even for me the smooth throttle response and reduction in engine braking made the ECU flash more than worth it.  And the folks at 2WD were a pleasure to deal with!

Thanks for sharing that. You should keep posting here, we have a fun bunch

4 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Thanks for sharing that. You should keep posting here, we have a fun bunch

Will do.  I've been lurking here for the last two years since I got my FZ07 - my first bike since the mid-1980's.  I stopped riding when my son was born in '91.  Two years ago he dragged a pretty clapped out '83 KZ550 into my garage, and I got the itch to throw my leg over a bike again.  I've got 4000 miles on my FZ now, and my kid's bike is still in pieces next to mine....

I live on Long Island now - not exactly the greatest place to ride - but I have an old college friend from Philly who also started riding again - we both rode dirt bikes together in college in the early 70's.  We meet up in western NJ and eastern PA and do day rides, and twice this year we did some multi day bike trips through northern and central PA.  It's fun to ride again, and I love my FZ.

I'm looking to get some suspension tuning/work done over this winter, to enjoy riding the twisties a little more, so I've been following a lot of those threads.  Lots of good info here - it's a good community here, as you said.

On 12/5/2018 at 3:21 PM, garyli said:

Hi garyli, good to hear you also had a great experience with the ecu remap from 2WDW - you summed it up well, it really does transform the bike.

Did you also remove your airbox snorkel after having the ecu remapped?  2WDW said their tunes are optimised for no snorkel...

No, I haven't removed it.  I spoke with the folks at 2WDW before I sent my ECU in, and told them I was running a completely stock motor, and they never mentioned removing the snorkel.  They did say I should run premium gas because they bump up the ignition timing, but they didn't suggest any other changes.  As I said earlier, I wasn't really looking for more HP, just better responsiveness and eliminating the heavy engine braking.

Archived