The MT-07 Forum

Windshield or not

dfhzcnc

So I have been riding for a few days now and one thing I noticed is that when my 07 reaches 70 m/h or more, I started to feel the air resistance annoying and somehow make me feel hard to control the bike, so my question is: is this because there is no windshield on this bike and should I get one so I can get rid of this problem?

• Premium Member

I added the Puig Touring windscreen and am very happy with it. My feedback was about 3/4 down the page here. I like the look and function - after about a week or so, I am still glad i bought it. Scroll down a few more posts and I comment on the wind deflection and overall performance.

Finding a windshield that works without causing head bobble or other problems can be a real pain & expensive.  I prefer a good full face helmet and adjusted riding position dependent on speed.

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png

Finding a windshield that works without causing head bobble or other problems can be a real pain & expensive.  I prefer a good full face helmet and adjusted riding position dependent on speed.
My sentiments exactly. I had an 2005 FZ-1 with the bikini fairing and thumbnail windshield stock from the factory and never was happy with the airflow characteristics. The fairing and windshield would create a low pressure center behind the fairing and windshield which in turn generated turbulent air flowing over your helmet. Loud and irritating, to say the least, which was too bad because otherwise the carbureted Generation One FZ-1's were (and still are) excellent bikes. Yamaha would've been better off to get rid of the fairing and windshield entirely--precisely what they've done on the FZ-09 and FZ-07!  I hear nothing but smooth, laminar wind throughout the speed range on my FZ-07.  

:D
The air coming off the front of those twin lights and instrument nacelle is the smoothest.  The tank bag did help, also.

Here she is at Lassen in N. Cal. on the way to NM
' alt='> '>IMG_1486.jpg
On the way home i WY
IMG_1711.jpg

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png

• Global Moderator

I have the Yamaha front cowl on my bike. I like the looks and it keeps bugs off the back of the instrument panel (which is what I was looking for), but if you are looking for wind protection do not get it. It does nothing noticeable in that regard.

• Global Moderator

I think the bike looks better without it but that is just personal taste. A naked bike should be naked in my opinion.
Some of those bigger screens that actually do something looks like the bike is wearing a cardinal hat.  emotion_sinterklaas.gif

[/img]I did a 5000 mile road trip over to Taos, NM on my Triumph Speed Triple. 

Your Street (sorry! quite the difference!) Speed Triple is just perfect. I love that bike!

• Premium Member
Thank you guys for your advice, it seems that windshield is unnecessary, I am glad I come here first : )

As far as control issues, it helps not to ride rigid and stiff. With a tight grip on the bars, you're making steering inputs every time the wind jostles you.

Experiment and find a way to anchor yourself that's comfortable. Stabilize your lower body to free up your torso and arms.

Everything went braap.

I think the bike looks better without it but that is just personal taste. A naked bike should be naked in my opinion. Some of those bigger screens that actually do something looks like the bike is wearing a cardinal hat.  emotion_sinterklaas.gif
And I agree with you. The only reason I ever want to install a windshield on 07 is to solve my control issue, however it seems that windshield has nothing to do with it.

Thank you guys for your advice, it seems that windshield is unnecessary, I am glad I come here first : )
As far as control issues, it helps not to ride rigid and stiff. With a tight grip on the bars, you're making steering inputs every time the wind jostles you.

Experiment and find a way to anchor yourself that's comfortable. Stabilize your lower body to free up your torso and arms.
Great advice! Someone else give me the exactly same suggestion and I have been trying to do so in the last few days, it really helps and I think I might need something to put on my tank side to prevent myself from sliding front and backwards.

I have a Powerbronze screen 330mm rings a bell,
can't remember what it was like without a screen as
it's 3 or 4 months since I rode the demo bike without
one and mine as always had it fitted, what I can tell you
is that if you ride with a flip up helmet open the wind
tends to try to lift the helmet, with the front closed
it's fine.

If I had one I would install a little fly screen. Just something to remove some pressure from my chess. That's what I did on the FZ09, much better.

I have the Puig touring screen. In summary it does make a small difference but not huge. It does give you the ability to uncomfortably tuck under the turbulence.

Online pics are very misleading. The Puig touring screen which is the bigger screen is barely noticeable imo. The impact to the look of the bike is minimal.

I would gladly pay for a wider larger screen once available just to have as an option.

I would also like to get a small shield. I don't really like the part about the headlight with those screws and stuff but I really like the naked style, so no touring screens. I was thinking about something the MOTO CAGE version has. Do you guys think it will be for sale?

Sir LightYear

• Premium Member
I would also like to get a small shield. I don't really like the part about the headlight with those screws and stuff but I really like the naked style, so no touring screens. I was thinking about something the MOTO CAGE version has. Do you guys think it will be for sale?

http://fz07.org/thread/1067/got-windscreen-gen

http://fz07.org/thread/954/fabbri-gen-sport-screen

Similar

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Hello Sirlightyear:
It is fairly expensive and may not be what you want, but take a look at the Madstad offerings (MADSTAD for FZ-07.
They have a good reputation.
Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

Archived