The MT-07 Forum

New rider in Georgia

Grant31781

I have been looking at the FZ 07 and 09 for a few months and really just liked these bikes based on videos and reviews.. I finally made it by the dealership to see them in person. . I liked both the 07 and 09. They had a 2017 FZ09 and and 2018 MT07. I sat on a few other bikes I was interested in, however I still really liked the Yamaha.

I did not like the praying mantis head light on the 09. I liked the color better on the 07.  I sat on both of them multiple times. Both felt good to sit on. The price was only $300 more for the 09. This made it hard to decide.  It was down to, do I want or need over 100 hp to have fun or will the 70hp do?

I figured the 07 would be an overall better bike for tooling around town and country road rides.  I like to accelerate fast but do not care to exceed the speed limit by triple digits so the 07 seems to fit better. Plus that twin sounds so good!

So far I am liking the bike a lot. I got it about 3 weeks ago with 3 miles on it and just did my 600 mile oil change yesterday.  Its a fun nimble bike in town and takes to the highway with no problems. I am following the break in procedure so I have not hit the rev limiter and keep the rpms under 5K when cruising. Now 6k since the oil change.

I am enjoying the stock exhaust!  After a 18 year break, I started back riding a few months ago on a Chinese 200cc dual sport.  Man those things are loud and buzzy and suck on the highway.  They are fun on dirt roads!  ! Nice to be back on two wheels.

NRWhiteKnight

Welcome to the forum. It's great to have another member. Like you, I have an 18' MT-07 and I love it so far. I'm still getting used to the lighter weight as I downsized from an FZ1. The 07 isn't point and shoot like my FZ was, but it still gets the job done.

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

2 hours ago, Grant31781 said:

I have been looking at the FZ 07 and 09 for a few months and really just liked these bikes based on videos and reviews.. I finally made it by the dealership to see them in person. . I liked both the 07 and 09. They had a 2017 FZ09 and and 2018 MT07. I sat on a few other bikes I was interested in, however I still really liked the Yamaha.

I did not like the praying mantis head light on the 09. I liked the color better on the 07.  I sat on both of them multiple times. Both felt good to sit on. The price was only $300 more for the 09. This made it hard to decide.  It was down to, do I want or need over 100 hp to have fun or will the 70hp do?

I figured the 07 would be an overall better bike for tooling around town and country road rides.  I like to accelerate fast but do not care to exceed the speed limit by triple digits so the 07 seems to fit better. Plus that twin sounds so good!

So far I am liking the bike a lot. I got it about 3 weeks ago with 3 miles on it and just did my 600 mile oil change yesterday.  Its a fun nimble bike in town and takes to the highway with no problems. I am following the break in procedure so I have not hit the rev limiter and keep the rpms under 5K when cruising. Now 6k since the oil change.

I am enjoying the stock exhaust!  After a 18 year break, I started back riding a few months ago on a Chinese 200cc dual sport.  Man those things are loud and buzzy and suck on the highway.  They are fun on dirt roads!  ! Nice to be back on two wheels.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining us!  You found the right forum, let us know if ya need any help! 

Thanks for the Welcome guys.  For me the power of the 07 is good enough. I don't nail it every time I ride it anyway and it is way faster than any normal car. I am trying to keep my clean driving record. LOL I think the 09 or 10 would have really been bad for my driving record. LOL. The 07 can be.

I did add my location on the map. No one is even close to me. LOL

Welcome and congrats, good choice! I feel the same way. In over 3 yrs. of owning this bike no one has actually tried to race me. I've had a few on cruisers that got a little cocky but either I ignored them and let them feel good by letting them think their bike was faster than mine or I obliged them and embarrassed them. I see a few SS's out there but they leave you alone for the most part, at least in this neck of the woods.

Only one guy on one has ever pulled up next to me and revved his engine non stop until the light changed. Instant ignore, I didn't even look his way but out of the corner of my eye I could see him looking over at me, just begging for it. Denied, lol! If I want to race people I'll get either an R1 or a VMax and get so stupid fast they'll think their pappy had slapped them a good one upside the head.

For me there just doesn't seem to be a need to have the fastest bike on the block and this bike gets the job done plenty fast enough (I'm talking straight line speed) if you aren't in a race about it. Have fun and stay frosty! Got any pics of your latest, greatest?

Beemer

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Beemer said:

Welcome and congrats, good choice! I feel the same way. In over 3 yrs. of owning this bike no one has actually tried to race me. I've had a few on cruisers that got a little cocky but either I ignored them and let them feel good by letting them think their bike was faster than mine or I obliged them and embarrassed them. I see a few SS's out there but they leave you alone for the most part, at least in this neck of the woods. 

Only one guy on one has ever pulled up next to me and revved his engine non stop until the light changed. Instant ignore, I didn't even look his way but out of the corner of my eye I could see him looking over at me, just begging for it. Denied, lol! If I want to race people I'll get either an R1 or a VMax and get so stupid fast they'll think their pappy had slapped them a good one upside the head.

For me there just doesn't seem to be a need to have the fastest bike on the block and this bike gets the job done plenty fast enough (I'm talking straight line speed) if you aren't in a race about it. Have fun and stay frosty! Got any pics of your latest, greatest? 

Agreed.

But the FZ-07 can still get you into highway speeding ticket speeds in less than 4 seconds from a standstill.  👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

33 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Agreed.

But the FZ-07 can still get you into highway speeding ticket speeds in less than 4 seconds from a standstill.  👍

Yup, it's fast enough to do that so when someone says it's not fast enough you have to wonder just what they're thinking.

Beemer

Definitely fast enough to get in trouble. I am not a knee dragger either. I want to keep the rubber down.

I had some redneck in a  lifted highway queen Silverado try to out do me. I was running 70 in a 55 and here he comes. I had passed him earlier so I guess he  wanted to show me. I just laughed. That big turd of a truck did not have a chance. I let him pass as I had nothing to prove.

Ha! Got a few rednecks around here also. (understatement of the year) It's as if they're having flag wars to see who can raise theirs the highest on the back of their truck. Some cheat and do a double Murican flag, ha! I make fun of them but honestly, I would want them on my side in a gun battle, they know their guns!

Beemer

• 3 weeks later...

I live in TN. The neckneck capital of the world. They dont really bother me in there hot rod Mustangs, but everytime I pull into the gas station they want to know how fast the FZ will go. Ah bout 180 or 190.

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, Slow poke said:

I live in TN. The neckneck capital of the world. They dont really bother me in there hot rod Mustangs, but everytime I pull into the gas station they want to know how fast the FZ will go. Ah bout 180 or 190.

If you do not specify the units then 180 to 190 is about right...in KPH. :)  

Archived