The MT-07 Forum

Rear brake clunk on hard sudden braking (2017 Yamaha FZ07 ABS)

SEANDROID

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, DewMan said:

Would replacing the OEM nut with an aftermarket Gilles titanium nut be enough to minimze the likelihood of galling?

I'm going to find out when I get my parts from the dealership!!

5 hours ago, DewMan said:

Replacing the axle nut every time I adjust my chain seems unreasonable. The shop manual does not suggest replacing the axle nut when doing tire replacements nor chain adjustment.

Yeah, this is a waste of money and resources. In no way are these disposable parts. They are standard fittings, not yield to torque fasteners. 

A drop of lube and they will last literally forever. 

These aren't cheap nuts Yamaha gave us. They're actually expensive since they are the best mass production locking design nut money can buy. 

firstyammerha

looking at Fzar's picture of 5:53 sunday showing the adjustment block projecting from the swingarm, doesn't the axle go through the adjustment block? 

16 hours ago, firstyammerha said:

looking at Fzar's picture of 5:53 sunday showing the adjustment block projecting from the swingarm, doesn't the axle go through the adjustment block? 

Nope. That end piece just sits there and pushes against the back of the swinger. The "bolt" that projects out the back is attached to a piece inside that the axle goes thru. Pull the bolt backward by threaded the adjuster nut in and the axle is pulled backward.  

firstyammerha

Thanks Rick. The last bike that I removed the rear wheel from was a 1978 Suzuki GS1000E and that was about 5 years ago. 

Have a buddy who had a 79 GS1000 and then an 82  GS1100 - man, that thing was fast back then. 

This will make it pretty clear. The working bits you asked about are # 22 and 23/24. As solid looking as the swing arm appears, it's closer in thickness to a tin can than anything massive. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 12.53.11 PM.png

Archived