The MT-07 Forum

8,000 mile mark. Maintainence advice needed.

Ninjasmoker

Hello guys. I'm approaching the 8,000 mile mark on my 2015 FZ-07. I want my bike to run smooth and be safe.

I'm a novice rider, been riding since July. But I'm a serious rider too I've already gone down, hit pavement, got back up and kept riding. A driver pulled an illegal U turn in front of me and I hit doing 40mph. Broke my foot and totaled my (old fz07) But thats another topic.

Obviously without seeing it... Is there anything that needs to be changed or replaced at this mileage, that is common among most 07's? My bike did not come with a manual. And I tried Google, I didn't find much help.

The previous owner "said" he just changed the oil for me. However I noticed the oil filter had water spots and a heavy amount of dirt build up around it. He changed the oil and left the filter . this was 600 or so miles ago, So I plan on an FULL oil change soon.

My tires look good, my rear brake pad is good. My front brake pad... Idk. I'm not really sure what I'm looking at to be honest. If its anything like the rear, then its very slim and probably need a to be replaced soon.

I clean and oil my chain every couple weeks. How do I tell if its going bad? It makes a lot of noise !

Oh I just noticed my side Rear lights are out. They blink when I use the switch, but they don't stay on like the front. Only the rear Red light is on back there. I should Google how to fix that.

Anything else I should be inspecting?

Any advice would be helpful

20180924_220143.jpg

20180726_135152.jpg

• Premium Member

new spark plugs, go thru and lube any pivot points, check cable slack of throttle and clutch, adjust the rear brake sensor trigger, change out brake fluid( every 2yrs it should be done), new air filter( no need for aftermarket ones), adjust chain slack/ inspect for kinks...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Ditto what @norcal616 has said. Also, don't worry about the rear turn lights. They do not stay on all the time like the fronts and by your description are working normally. As for the front brake pads, get as good a look as you can. Maybe use a mirror of some type to see them from the top or bottom to see how thick/thin the pads are. Front pads tend to wear quicker than the rear as that is where most of the braking power is, unless you don't use the front brake much. Again, by your description I would change them all.

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to what has already been mentioned, a better helmet and full armored gear will keep you from needed work if you go down again....  🙂

Archived