The MT-07 Forum

First track day experience

phanomenal07

So today I participated in my first track day. The day started late due to rain and the track being kinda flooded at the beginning and end of a couple of turns. The rain did slow down to let the track drain but it never fully stopped. It rained pretty good most of the day.

At today’s event there were also cars and because there were so few of us they decided to have an open track where everyone went out at once. All the cars went out for the first 20 min of the hr and bikes went out for the last 40 minutes of the hr. I was the only first timer there so the intro lesson and ride was pretty much free one on one coaching, which was awesome. They told me I was really lucky because of the 40 minute per session riding time(I basically got double almost triple the usual riding time with a track day)

the first session was really slow and had to follow the instructor the entire time. Despite that the first session was still awesome learning the “wet” race line and what not. It was also very awesome when the faster guys flew by me gouki me at break neck speed. I did the entire 40 minutes following me the instructor and we occasionally pulled in the pits for him to give me pointers and instructions.

the second third and fourth session was a lot more fun since the instructor went faster and half way thru each session he followed and watched me so I got to go at my own pace.

After lunch the instructor let me hit the track by myself since he thought I was riding decent and remembered the lines I was suppose to take. 

Even tho it was raining I was extremely comfortable and didn’t feel like the rain was hindering me at all.

the track had 2 left turn and 10 right turns. After every session I could feel how sore my right thigh was and I’m gonna definitely feel it tomorrow. It was way more of a workout then I thought it was, just for my right thigh lol. When I started getting more fatigue I could feel that I had bad body position and decided to call it a day when during the last session my front tires slipped on two separate turns.

overall I had a blast and learned a lot despite the rain. I definitely encourage it for anyone who is even thinking about going. The FZ held up extremely well

Glad you had a good first experience, even if it rained. What track did you have your day at? I have ridden in the rain at Road Atlanta and Barber. Road Atlanta was a good experience and I crashed at Barber. I learned from both experiences and gained confidence as well.

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

7 minutes ago, NRWhiteKnight said:

Glad you had a good first experience, even if it rained. What track did you have your day at? I have ridden in the rain at Road Atlanta and Barber. Road Atlanta was a good experience and I crashed at Barber. I learned from both experiences and gained confidence as well.

It was at New Jersey Motorsport Park on the thunderbolt track 

Awesome. Hope you will be interested in doing more. I feel my skill increased with each track day I rode, even when mistakes were made.

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

5 minutes ago, NRWhiteKnight said:

Awesome. Hope you will be interested in doing more. I feel my skill increased with each track day I rode, even when mistakes were made.

I 100% will be attending more often. I loved  it

• Premium Member

Awesome! Who did you do your track day with?

I been tracking my FZ 07 at NJMP with N2.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

1 hour ago, evilled said:

Awesome! Who did you do your track day with?

I been tracking my FZ 07 at NJMP with N2.

Ed

It was with ace. That’s awesome that you go there. How far are you from there 

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, phanomenal07 said:

It was with ace. That’s awesome that you go there. How far are you from there 

I live by the GWB, takes about 2-1/2 hours. Where are you at?

Check out https://www.n2td.org

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

phanomenal07
8 hours ago, djfz07 said:

I'm about 45 min from NJMP and ride by the track all the time.  I have to get there for my first track day soon!  

Do it!! They only have 2 days left this year. I’ll definitely be going again. Pm me if you want the details and everything

Archived