The MT-07 Forum

FTR 1200 Coming out Oct 1

r1limited

I have met Meece a few times over the years.  He is as humble as a guy can be even with 4 GNC Championsips under his belt and probably one more this year.  he is a regular at the San Jose Indoor in March.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am trying to talk my wife into letting me order it.  She has yet to come up with the counter offer, Why am I affraid

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

It's a cool bike but bang for the buck I don't see it beating the street triple ( hp, weight and price).

Triumph - 112 hp, 370 lbs all for  10k $. Wow 370 lbs , I was shocked when I looked that up.

• Global Moderator

i want to ride it. i wonder if the IMS will have a couple for demo next year.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator
9 hours ago, MT27 said:

It's a cool bike but bang for the buck I don't see it beating the street triple ( hp, weight and price).

Triumph - 112 hp, 370 lbs all for  10k $. Wow 370 lbs , I was shocked when I looked that up.

370 is the dry weight.  That would put it over 400 wet, which I bet will still be a while lot lighter than the Indian. 

• Global Moderator
10 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Im guessing the Indian will be 465 lbs wet. Maybe even less.  Polaris can build light stuff, they aren't Harley. 

I've been riding Polaris Snowmobiles for years and years.   

Under 500 lbs would be good but I think it will be over that.  Of course that might be because it looks a lot like a Harley and I know they are always heavy.  We should know in about a week. 

22 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

Under 500 lbs would be good but I think it will be over that.  Of course that might be because it looks a lot like a Harley and I know they are always heavy.  We should know in about a week. 

This doesn't look like any Harley that I have ever seen. This bike might just haul some serious ass.

2019-Indian-Motorcycle-FTR-1200.thumb.jpg.7d9c3cdab88c3bb8122f2cd205a8f779.jpg

• Global Moderator

Good point @Cruizin.  I suppose I was making assumptions based on the cruisers. I hope your are right on the weight, that would make it a tempting bike. 

11 hours ago, mjh937 said:

370 is the dry weight.  That would put it over 400 wet, which I bet will still be a while lot lighter than the Indian. 

I know that was the dry weight. I just hope it's not the old school dry weight.

No fork oil, engine oil, battery acid, brake fluid or blinker fluid.

Anyway 400 lbs is not bad for a with gas weight.

22 hours ago, r1limited said:

I am trying to talk my wife into letting me order it.  She has yet to come up with the counter offer, Why am I affraid

The left is pacifying you so slowly that you don't realize it but don't worry, I got your back. Did you tell her you would take out the trash, do the dishes and give her hot oil massages every weekend for the next ten years? That's a hard one to resist, heh!

About the bike, if they've kept the weight off and whatever excess there might be, kept low as to not affect the agility of the bike then a 1200 may prove to be pretty fun. I have a little concern with the upswept seat, it might cause one to keep sliding forward.

Beemer

Guys, gals, gugals, I just ran across this article which gives the weight of the bike and it would appear this bike is going to be leaning more toward the scorcher side than the lard lad side and it has a host of goodies to go along with it.

"Indian starts out with a Trellis frame made up of 4130 chromoly steel members and a swingarm made of same. As you’d expect of a race-type bike, steering geometry is set up for extreme maneuverability with 25 degrees of rake and a short, 3.7 inches of trail. Fully-adjustable Öhlins products support and tame both ends of the ride so you have plenty of opportunity to dial it in and get it just how you want it.

Frame construction and front fork layout gives the Custom a 60-inch wheelbase with billet aluminum “Traction” race wheels from Roland Sands Design and Dunlop DT3 dirt-track hoops to finish out the rolling chassis. Brembo calipers bite Lyndall’s crown-cut brake discs, and as you might expect, the front wheel gets but one disc. That ain’t a big deal though since you can only use so much on the dirt, and at only 427 pounds you’ll only need so much on the streets. ABS? If you even have to ask, then this isn’t the bike for you (read: NO)"

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/indian-motorcycles/2018-first-look-indian-motorcycle-scout-ftr1200-ar178246.html

Beemer

One of the things that really bothers me about the scout engine is the requirement for 15w60 oil, which is pretty obscure.  I just don't get why people do that....

@Beemerthat article is showing pics of the original concept bike, not the production.  I been following this since its debut, and Indian has been very protective.  The pic Cruizin posted is more than likely a leaked image, at least I hope so.

11 minutes ago, r1limited said:

@Beemerthat article is showing pics of the original concept bike, not the production.  I been following this since its debut, and Indian has been very protective.  The pic Cruizin posted is more than likely a leaked image, at least I hope so.

Well, in that case, I hope they don't add to it. I didn't read the whole article so my bad. I guess I should've. Printed Nov. 15th, 2017, yup!

Edit: after a little thought on it, it would seem that the bike is pretty much in it's final stage and the leaked pic doesn't look too much different than the pic of it in the article so my guess is it will be as light or very close to the original claim. Sound about right? 

Beemer

13 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Well, in that case, I hope they don't add to it. I didn't read the whole article so my bad. I guess I should've. Printed Nov. 15th, 2017, yup!

Edit: after a little thought on it, it would seem that the bike is pretty much in it's final stage and the leaked pic doesn't look too much different than the pic of it in the article so my guess is it will be as light or very close to the original claim. Sound about right? 

I'm just afriad that they will price it too high. The scout is priced high and I bet this bike is priced around 13,000. Maybe more.

Hope I'm wrong. The Harley/Indian war will get pretty interesting as their new models come out.

My money is on Polaris/Indian. 

8 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I'm just afriad that they will price it too high. The scout is priced high and I bet this bike is priced around 13,000. Maybe more.

Hope I'm wrong. The Harley/Indian war will get pretty interesting as their new models come out.

My money is on Polaris/Indian. 

Same here. From what I'm seeing I believe Harley will have a hard time just shedding weight alone to begin to match an Indian like this. Regardless, this should be interesting and good for American business. Now how about they try and build some good dirt bikes!

Beemer

10 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Same here. From what I'm seeing I believe Harley will have a hard time just shedding weight alone to begin to match an Indian like this. Regardless, this should be interesting and good for American business. Now how about they try and build some good dirt bikes!

Polaris Snowmobiles and Razors are badass . Harley doesn't make anything badass.   Yet. 

Polaris is already in the mindset to compete with the Japanese, they have been dominating Snowmobiles for years, Side by Sides doing really well too.  

12 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Polaris Snowmobiles and Razors are badass . Harley doesn't make anything badass.   Yet. 

Polaris is already in the mindset to compete with the Japanese, they have been dominating Snowmobiles for years, Side by Sides doing really well too.  

I believe that Polaris can make about anything if they put their mind to it. They seem to want to be a flexible company and whatever they make they make it well.

Beemer

About the price, if it's a little pricey it's probably for good reason, they aren't just slapping old bin parts on it, they're using premium stuff. I've noticed when we get something bad-ass for cheap (the FZ-07 for example) we complain it doesn't have premium parts but when we get a premium bad-ass bike we complain it's too much. Look at all the extra money we spend in mods on the FZ/MT-07 to make it a more premium bike. I think people should give the bike a shot at a premium price, they just may find that they're happy they didn't have to mod the shet out of it to make it right.

Beemer

Archived