The MT-07 Forum

Low gearing/sprocket sizes: more torque for the inner city commute

Ninjasmoker

I'm looking for just a bit more torque to give me that extra OOMPH I need getting through the city. I'm ready to re-gear my bike.

I have a 2015 FZ07, m4 slip on, 2wdw flash, sprint air filter, R6 throttle tube, protaper low bars. Basic mods.

I'm looking for more acceleration, and more torque but not "wheelie monster, stunt man mode."

My daily commute is less than 10 miles each day. I rarely go over speeds of 80 mph. I don't really need mass amounts of top end speed.

I'm constantly switching lanes, pulling out, or trying to catch that yellow light.

As of right now I have my eye on a chain + sprocket kit, 520 conversion, Steel, 16/45 (+2 rear). Thats what most people recommend. +4% torque. I'm worried that I might not feel much of a difference...

I found a build your own kit and it has the option of 16/46 (+3 rear, +6% torque) that will fit our bikes. Now that sounds good. however I have never seen not 1 forum post anywhere where people run that on Fz07? Is that a bad ratio or something? Ive heard of 16/47 combo and that's a wheelie machine/ stunt bike territory. Nty. 

Instead I see people running 15/43 (-1 front, +6% tq) which is the equivilant of 16/46. They even have "quick accel kits" on eBay geared 15/43.

However, many people have said, time and again, its not a good idea to go smaller than stock up front, itll ruin chain and sprocket life blahblahblah.

Which brings me back to "why don't we run 16/46?"

I just want my bike to be good and not subpar filth. If I'm going to drop $150+ on regearing, I just want some good opinions. 

So what do you think ? 15/43? 16/45?

(16/46) 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Ninjasmoker said:

I'm looking for just a bit more torque to give me that extra OOMPH I need getting through the city.

So what do you think ? 15/43? 16/45?

(16/46) 

Twist the throttle a little more. 😋

But seriously, I don't know what kind of city you're driving in or what kind of driving style you're using but considering the FZ's ability to power wheelie in 1st & 2nd gear, I don't know what you're expecting to gain with the proposed regearing.

• Like 4

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 4 weeks later...

jeez...I went 1 up front. 1st is too low stock. 

• Like 4

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

While not popular, I had 15T on front with stock chain for 6 month with no issues. Since it was only $20 sprocket, wanted try it before spending money on new 520 chain and sprockets. I  like it and definitely  feel the extra torque, but I ride mostly track and not worried about 1st gear or extra wear. But will inspect this weekend for unusual wear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MGKSMF2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 4:18 AM, peteinpa said:

jeez...I went 1 up front. 1st is too low stock. 

Same,

I actually went down 3 in the back and up 1 in the front. I actually USE first gear around town now. With the stock gearing, unless you where on a very steep hill or off-road, there was no reason at all to use 1st.

• Like 1

As far as torque goes the ratio matters not the actual size of the respective sprockets. If 15/43 is roughly the same as 16/46 then go the smaller sizes in this case , as it uses less chain and weighs less UNLESS you particularly want to improve (marginally) longevity.

However the bigger effect of sprocket sizes, the effect on anti-squat by virtue of the logner offests from the C/S to axle line. On a street bike it will be pretty much unnoticeable anyway ( you will notice on a race bike or on the track though).

So lighter is better. On that note, if you are changing both, go to a 520 chain and sprockets anyway. More ratio choice , more sprocket maker choice and lighter. This bike doesn't need 525 chain.

• Like 2

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

On 11/5/2018 at 8:56 AM, Madmole said:

If you haven't already, head over to gearing commander's website:

https://www.gearingcommander.com/

Great spot for experimenting with different combinations and observing effects on performance and wear.

I have seen this as well

http://sprocketcalculator.com/

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 9 months later...
On 10/19/2018 at 6:42 AM, elmo said:

While not popular, I had 15T on front with stock chain for 6 month with no issues. Since it was only $20 sprocket, wanted try it before spending money on new 520 chain and sprockets. I  like it and definitely  feel the extra torque, but I ride mostly track and not worried about 1st gear or extra wear. But will inspect this weekend for unusual wear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MGKSMF2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just a followup on front sprocket size. While I did enjoy 15T with no issues and the added torque on my local twisties, and with a twist the feeling of the front wheel floating over the asphalt. But missed the top end at the tracks straightaways more than the added torque. I switched back to the 16T stocket for a while, then went up to 17T. I enjoyed this gearing more on the track, with no issues at the slower speeds.  Its similar to the common mod of stock front and adding 2-3T in the rear. This was more of a learning experience for me before changing to 520 chain.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
FZ07R WaNaB

I just came back from my first ride after changing my chain and sprockets. I've spent way too much time reading about everyone's best combo for gearing - not that there any opinionated folks on this forum 😁. What I finally settled with is the 520 conversion with 16/44 gearing which as you all know is +1 on the rear sprocket from stock. I was actually completely OK with the stock gearing with the exception of wanting a little bit more kick in 4th gear.

I didn't know if I would really notice much difference but I was wrong about that. The new gearing added a nice personality change through all the gears. Prior to the new gearing, I would occasionally start out in 2nd, but to a little degree, you sometimes had to play with the clutch for a smooth start. Not anymore, 2nd is great to start out in. 1st gear is still very usable for zero speed walking the bike as well as starting out on a hill. 3rd gear is a lot more fun as it got a good little kick from just a +1 change. It surprised me with a bit of light front wheel on speed shifting into 3rd and cracking it (no clutch-up, just power). Where I wanted to see the difference (4th gear), it was very noticable as it had a nice kick all the way to a quick redline. 4th will still do 80 mph, albeit closer to redline. 5th gear was not as anemic either. Truth be known, I didn't get it into 6th but I'll assume it will make interstate passing easier.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking huge differences, just very noticable, useful and fun. I honestly think that was what Yamaha should have done from the factory. I'm sure my OEM R6 throttle tube added to the overall effect.

Edited by FZ07R WaNaB
  • Like 2

I run 15/43, really prefer it that way, better acceleration, less engine braking changing down. Don’t do many miles so not bothered about longevity.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
FZ07R WaNaB

I went for another good ride today, and I am now adding a new must-do to my list for a total of three absolutely mandatory changes to the FZ/MT-07 IMHO.

# 1 is definitely a flash (2WDW) followed by a R6 throttle tube (OEM not Motion Pro), and the new one is adding one tooth to the rear sprocket. This combination is the shet - smooth and snappy, but not to the point that you are running high revs as you do if you seriously go for lower gearing. If you throw in a MWR air filter, you will get an overall sound way better than stock (snorkel removed), and it won't affect your tuning. I changed those three in the order of R6 throttle, flash and then gearing over the course of 10,000 miles. Each one made a noticable difference. In retrospect, I think I would have had a major religious experience if I did them all at once 😇

If you are a newbie FZ/MT-07 tweaker wannabe, those three are where to start. You will have a completely different riding experience to the point it seems like a new and much better bike. Enjoy!

Edited by FZ07R WaNaB
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
FZ07R WaNaB

So I went for a 50 mile ride today, and I still can't believe the difference +1 tooth on the rear has made which leads to this question: Is there a performance difference from switching from a 525 chain to the 520. I went from the stock and crappy 525 to a 520 set of Vortex steel spockets 16/44 and a DID ERV/3 chain.

I can't imagine how the 525/520 conversion would make a performance difference, but who knows. I got a bit more interstate time today, and now 6th gear is not an anemic overdrive. Thoughts anyone?

BTW, I'm surely not complaining, just curious.

Update: I did about 120 miles yesterday, and while I didn't formally check, my mileage definitely is worse. Next time I top off the tank, I'll get the actually mileage and post it.

Edited by FZ07R WaNaB
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

So I went for a 50 mile ride today, and I still can't believe the difference +1 tooth on the rear has made which leads to this question: Is there a performance difference from switching from a 525 chain to the 520. I went from the stock and crappy 525 to a 520 set of Vortex steel spockets 16/44 and a DID ERV/3 chain.

I can't imagine where the 525/520 conversion would make a performance difference, but who knows. I got a bit more interstate time today, and now 6th gear is not an anemic overdrive. Thoughts anyone?

the only change done by 525 -> 520 conversion is some weight savings. and slightly cheaper parts.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Just now, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Is there a performance difference from switching from a 525 chain to the 520. I went to a 520 DID ERV/3 chain.

Thoughts anyone?

Like your other 'incremental' mods every little bit helps. It'll spin up and decelerate just a tad bit quicker than a stock 525 due to less weight & friction. Together with the rest of your dodads you're getting the most out of her. There's a reason near every bike in the MotoGP paddock runs a 520 ERV3.  Enjoy your religious experience, plus it looks cool. 

BLR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ERV3 is an X ring chain. Not sure if stock was Xring or Oring. 

I ran standard chains for a long time. First time I used a sealed chain I though I had a dragging brake. Forget about coasting!

The amount of friction added by a sealed chain is very noticeable. Especially if you are on a small cc/ low powered bike. 

A top quality X ring like ERV3 is gonna be noticeably less friction compared to your average sealed chain. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 3/29/2020 at 6:11 PM, FZ07R WaNaB said:

I can't imagine how the 525/520 conversion would make a performance difference, but who knows. I got a bit more interstate time today, and now 6th gear is not an anemic overdrive. Thoughts anyone?

Update: I did about 120 miles yesterday, and while I didn't formally check, my mileage definitely is worse. Next time I top off the tank, I'll get the actually mileage and post it.

How much worse is it? I was thinking about doing 16/44 change down the road. Since you done this last March, do you still think it's worth it? Also my bike is a 2019 ABS, does it mess with the speedometer? I thought I read that it doesn't.

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, Devilman said:

Also my bike is a 2019 ABS, does it mess with the speedometer?

Adding one tooth to rear sprocket corrects speedo, if you trust google maps as accurate on clear road no satellite obstructions. You can cross check the ratios with what your planning...

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Pursuvant said:

Adding one tooth to rear sprocket corrects speedo, if you trust google maps as accurate on clear road no satellite obstructions. You can cross check the ratios with what your planning...

Unless the final gear ratio is the same as stock how can it be that the speedo be correct?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

2 hours ago, Devilman said:

How much worse is it? I was thinking about doing 16/44 change down the road. Since you done this last March, do you still think it's worth it? Also my bike is a 2019 ABS, does it mess with the speedometer? I thought I read that it doesn't.

I think the speedo input on abs bikes is from the abs not the gearbox, so gearing should have no effect on speedometer.

longrider1951

The rule of thumb is one tooth down in the front is the same as 3 teeth up in the rear. The downside to 1 down in the front is the chain has to make a more acute bend around the front sprocket leading to excessive wear. The downside to plus 3 in the rear is you'll need a longer chain and the sprocket will be more expensive. You know what you're trying to achieve and how long you plan to keep the bike so factor that into your decision. Also, never buy aluminium sprockets they're life will be very short, stick with steel.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Yes DewMan & AP996, you guys are correct, thank you for helping me. I added a tooth, and changed rubber both wheels to dunlop q3+ at same time.

Chemobrain is a real thing, I attributed the extra tooth with speedo change, but you helped me see it takes a change in wheel with tire diameter to affect speedo that reads off wheel(s) rotation.

Was the bike running +3mph hot before the switch up, and now is correct? Did the change in Q3+ tire profile correct speedo?

I can't be sure of my perceptions or memory, especially short term memory since they started pumping me with rat poison.

I run every mod by speed shop owner first, he knows I'm sick, and he has absolute veto power. I get by with a little help from my friends.

Sorry all for confusion I posted. It's a new world for me and I'm learning how to live it.

• Like 2