Ninjasmoker

Low gearing/sprocket sizes: more torque for the inner city commute

Ninjasmoker

I'm looking for just a bit more torque to give me that extra OOMPH I need getting through the city. I'm ready to re-gear my bike.

I have a 2015 FZ07, m4 slip on, 2wdw flash, sprint air filter, R6 throttle tube, protaper low bars. Basic mods.

I'm looking for more acceleration, and more torque but not "wheelie monster, stunt man mode."

My daily commute is less than 10 miles each day. I rarely go over speeds of 80 mph. I don't really need mass amounts of top end speed.

I'm constantly switching lanes, pulling out, or trying to catch that yellow light.

As of right now I have my eye on a chain + sprocket kit, 520 conversion, Steel, 16/45 (+2 rear). Thats what most people recommend. +4% torque. I'm worried that I might not feel much of a difference...

I found a build your own kit and it has the option of 16/46 (+3 rear, +6% torque) that will fit our bikes. Now that sounds good. however I have never seen not 1 forum post anywhere where people run that on Fz07? Is that a bad ratio or something? Ive heard of 16/47 combo and that's a wheelie machine/ stunt bike territory. Nty. 

Instead I see people running 15/43 (-1 front, +6% tq) which is the equivilant of 16/46. They even have "quick accel kits" on eBay geared 15/43.

However, many people have said, time and again, its not a good idea to go smaller than stock up front, itll ruin chain and sprocket life blahblahblah.

Which brings me back to "why don't we run 16/46?"

I just want my bike to be good and not subpar filth. If I'm going to drop $150+ on regearing, I just want some good opinions. 

So what do you think ? 15/43? 16/45?

(16/46) 

stickshift

The standard gearing is so low first gear is nearly useless.

Save your buck$ - shift down a gear.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

DewMan
1 hour ago, Ninjasmoker said:

I'm looking for just a bit more torque to give me that extra OOMPH I need getting through the city.

So what do you think ? 15/43? 16/45?

(16/46) 

Twist the throttle a little more. 😋

But seriously, I don't know what kind of city you're driving in or what kind of driving style you're using but considering the FZ's ability to power wheelie in 1st & 2nd gear, I don't know what you're expecting to gain with the proposed regearing.

• Like 1

TheMotoDude

i would recommend not changing the gearing. fz's are already torquey enough as it is. No need to try and change it 

• Like 1

peteinpa

jeez...I went 1 up front. 1st is too low stock. 

• Like 2

elmo

While not popular, I had 15T on front with stock chain for 6 month with no issues. Since it was only $20 sprocket, wanted try it before spending money on new 520 chain and sprockets. I  like it and definitely  feel the extra torque, but I ride mostly track and not worried about 1st gear or extra wear. But will inspect this weekend for unusual wear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MGKSMF2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Madmole

If you haven't already, head over to gearing commander's website:

https://www.gearingcommander.com/

Great spot for experimenting with different combinations and observing effects on performance and wear.

topazsparrow
On 10/19/2018 at 4:18 AM, peteinpa said:

jeez...I went 1 up front. 1st is too low stock. 

Same,

I actually went down 3 in the back and up 1 in the front. I actually USE first gear around town now. With the stock gearing, unless you where on a very steep hill or off-road, there was no reason at all to use 1st.

gregjet

As far as torque goes the ratio matters not the actual size of the respective sprockets. If 15/43 is roughly the same as 16/46 then go the smaller sizes in this case , as it uses less chain and weighs less UNLESS you particularly want to improve (marginally) longevity.

However the bigger effect of sprocket sizes, the effect on anti-squat by virtue of the logner offests from the C/S to axle line. On a street bike it will be pretty much unnoticeable anyway ( you will notice on a race bike or on the track though).

So lighter is better. On that note, if you are changing both, go to a 520 chain and sprockets anyway. More ratio choice , more sprocket maker choice and lighter. This bike doesn't need 525 chain.

• Like 2

Beemer

If you want to get through traffic fast just get one of these and some practice.