The MT-07 Forum

Cruiser to MT-07

riderman

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a MT-07 in the spring. I'm currently ride a Honda Shadow 750 Aero and I'd like to know what kind of transition the MT-07 will be like, as it will be my first sport/naked bike. I also have a windshield on my Honda, so I don't know what to expect for wind resistance while riding.

As far as wind resistance, I wear a full face helmet, and a sturdy jacket, which absorbs some of the wind impact.  I lean forward just a little and the wind holds me upright at speed and it feels good.  If you go without gear, you might have issues.  The honda 750 is a slow bike, and you can't lean over very much.  The mt-07 takes off like a bullet, and you will need to get used to really leaning over when cornering.  Good luck!

2 hours ago, riderman said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a MT-07 in the spring. I'm currently ride a Honda Shadow 750 Aero and I'd like to know what kind of transition the MT-07 will be like, as it will be my first sport/naked bike. I also have a windshield on my Honda, so I don't know what to expect for wind resistance while riding.

The MT-07 is a sportier bike, has a little more get up and go in the bottom end, but it's not a fz09, fz-10 or R-1, nothing to be afraid of by any means. Its a great step up bike, actually pretty mellow. 

As far as wind goes, it's a motorcycle. If wind is a problem, perhaps consider a used sports car instead. There will always be wind. You get used to it. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, riderman said:

Hi Everyone,

take the windscreen off the Honda and ride around? 

as for the biggest differences will be a way lighter bike and the seating position is very close to supermoto/dirt bike... if your used to riding full sized (250cc plus) dirt bikes, the FZ/MT-07 is very close...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I think the biggest difference will be how the FZ steers. I don't mean that it's a fast or twitchy steering bike, but how you personally have to steer the bike. 

On your cruiser you steer mostly with leaning/ body english. That works on the FZ for putting around, but when you start tipping in  to corners you will need to countersteer this bike more. It's nothing drastic or bad, these bikes just hold a straight line very, very well. 

If you are familiar with countersteering, you are good to go- just remember this bike requires more input that some. 

If you are not familiar with the idea just check it out on Youtube. It's really dead simple and becomes second nature very quickly. 

When I first test rode a 07 I thought " man, this bike does NOT want to turn! The reviews of being nimble lied!"....then I put a little pressure on the bars and away we  went. 

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
4 hours ago, shinyribs said:

When I first test rode a 07 I thought " man, this bike does NOT want to turn! The reviews of being nimble lied!"....then I put a little pressure on the bars and away we  went.

I must countersteer naturally: when I first rode the FZ 07, I thought all you have to do is think about turning in and it happens.  However, now that that my back tire is worn nearly flat in the middle, turning in definitely requires a little more effort LOL. 😉

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Premium Member

I ride a 1200RT BMW sport cruiser. Earlier this year I bought a new '17 FZ-07. I love the BMW for long rides and often go on extended tours on it. I also love my new FZ-07. I use it for short trips, aggressive riding through the twisties, and the occasional track day. It's light weight and good handling make it a super fun bike to ride. I have upgraded the frt and rear suspensions, added a new exhaust, flashed the ECU for better throttle control and added a medium size wind screen. Those upgrades (2 grand) have turned an already good bike into a great machine.

I wouldn't want to take the FZ on a long trip on the highway as the lack of cruise control and wind is a bit of a problem. I guess I'm spoiled with the Beemer. I know there are others who have fitted luggage and ride long distance. The addition of the wind screen was a big improvement and didn't detract from the styling as it's only about 10 inches high but it keeps the wind off my chest.

I also like the upright riding position of the bike. I have a 29" inseam and find the seat height and footpeg positions quite comfortable. If you're really tall the ergonomics might be a problem.

Steve, 2017 Yamaha FZ-07, 2016 BMW 1200RT, 2019 Ducati Monster 1200s - Harbor Beach, Michigan

• Global Moderator
13 hours ago, riderman said:

Hi Everyone,

the Mt-07 feels a lot lighter
my mother rides a shadow 750, and the only thing i can say is the acceleration difference is rather large.  when i borrowed her bike for the week my bike was under repair i felt like i was wringing it out just to get it moving

the windscreens on the MT seem to be varied in wind deflection, but there are several options available.  

The Double bubble from MRA might be a good choice if you're gonna be using it for long distance or everyday commuting, people seem to get the best results from it, though they have changed the mounting a bit between the 2017 and 20187 models 

either way, good luck with the purchase, and we'll see ya back soon hopefully

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

14 hours ago, riderman said:

Hi Everyone,

Hi! It's my guess that you'll most likely form your own opinion but I think you should give naked a try for awhile first, it won't kill ya and you might enjoy the feeling of the wind on you. It's a big part of what makes biking so enjoyable. You could say the wind feels like freedom but whatever you call it is nice if it's not too powerful and fatiguing you to death. Highway speeds can sometimes prove to be a PITA without a screen but in my experience with riding my bike with one and without I recently chose to go back to naked. I'm usually not on the highway long enough for windblast to fatigue me and I can put up with a little discomfort for a little while, I'm not totally whipped just yet, ha!

I think the bike looks better without a screen (it has a hooligan-esque look to it and looks better without it, IMO.) I originally put a screen on because of encounters with strong coastal breezes at highway speeds and bugs speckling my front side but I realized those two things just don't happen very often so I'll put up with them occasionally. 

Beemer

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm going to take a test ride later this week and get a feel for the bike. I'll also start riding my Honda Shadow without the windshield on to get used to the wind more.

4 hours ago, riderman said:

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm going to take a test ride later this week and get a feel for the bike. I'll also start riding my Honda Shadow without the windshield on to get used to the wind more.

Seriously, there's something about the wind that makes a person feel wild and free. Glad to hear you're going to at least give it a try. Stay frosty!

Beemer

12 hours ago, Beemer said:

Seriously, there's something about the wind that makes a person feel wild and free. Glad to hear you're going to at least give it a try. Stay frosty!

+1

Just do it! 

So I took a test ride today and its pretty awesome. Loads of torque. Is it likely that the price is going to drop on a new MT 07 between now and Spring?

Alternating between my Vulcan and FZ is always an experience.

Going from the Vulcan to the FZ is easy, going from the FZ to the Vulcan takes a few miles to readjust to the Vulcan.

Two completely different riding experiences, which is why I like having both of them.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, riderman said:

So I took a test ride today and its pretty awesome. Loads of torque. Is it likely that the price is going to drop on a new MT 07 between now and Spring?

I expect the prices will be higher in the spring as it is prime riding season.  The dead of winter should be the best time to buy as dealers are not selling much and are usually more willing to make deals. 

• Premium Member

Glad you like it! We do too. 😁 

As @mjh937 said the best deals will be found in winter unless you're in a  warm weather winter  location. In Florida I do the least riding in the summer due to the extreme heat/humidity/rain. Love winter time for riding.

Good luck!

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

Glad you like it! We do too. 😁 

As @mjh937 said the best deals will be found in winter unless you're in a  warm weather winter  location. In Florida I do the least riding in the summer due to the extreme heat/humidity. Love wintertime for riding.

Good luck!

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 4 weeks later...

I went from a v-star 650 to a FZ07. Cruiser is more comfortable for all day riding and if you take a passenger often maybe the cruiser is the best option. Me and my wife can 2-up on the FZ but short trips only. I have a Puig tall windscreen on my FZ and knocks the wind off my chest and I am about 5’ 10” but wind blast is still far worse than a cruiser with a windshield. The best part about the FZ is the roll on 2nd gear wheelies and riding twisty mountain roads. If this is you interest go for the FZ you will not regret it.

Archived