Jump to content
enduro250

new fz 07 racer

Recommended Posts

enduro250

Hi together,

first of all, I am from Europe -> Austria
so please excuse my "sometimes" bad English
last week I bought my first MT 07 ( in Europe it is called MT instead of FZ 😉 )

I will build an FZ 07 R and I have seen ,  that in the US it is a frequently used race bike.
In Europe , in the light weight class, 90 % Suzukis are in use  and some very rear Kawas, but almost no FZ 07.
As a result, there is not much experience in racing this Yamaha. So iam trying to collect information as much as possible
this is the main reason , why I have joint this forum.

IMG_20180915_154925[1].jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here and very few, if any "Grammar Nazis" to hassle you over your English, which is probably better than some of us 1st language English speakers.. myself included. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer

Don't worry about any Grammar Nazi's, @r1limited actively keeps them at bay with his own twist on Ebonics.

 

 

8-grammar-nazi-hunters-funny-cartoon.jpg

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fzar
4 hours ago, enduro250 said:

In Europe , in the light weight class, 90 % Suzukis are in use  and some very rear Kawas, but almost no FZ 07.

I don't know what classes and rules you have in your local racing that qualifies as (light-weight) I do know that most lightweight class racing in europe has a cubic capacity of 650 cc which in turn makes the 689 cc not applicable. I know of a spanish guy who used the frame and changed out the motor to meet spec.

 

I'd be interested in what racing you intend to do and the regulations, looks like your going to have fun stripping and bolting stuff on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
norcal616

lots of threads on the forum about people who have converted the FZ/MT-07 into a track bike the last few years... I suspect the maybe biggest difference will be suspension choice due to your location... 

 

I see that you have removed the airbox?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mossrider

Howdy, and welcome! Great source of information here. Contact a friend of mine in Spain, Antonio Maeso. He built a TT legal bike off the 655cc Australian LAMS model. He is an accomplished racer, mechanic and engineer. Good luck and have fun.

 

Dave

Blue Line Racing

 

https://sites.google.com/view/antoniomaeso/home

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enduro250
23 minutes ago, fzar said:

I don't know what classes and rules you have in your local racing that qualifies as (light-weight) I do know that most lightweight class racing in europe has a cubic capacity of 650 cc which in turn makes the 689 cc not applicable. I know of a spanish guy who used the frame and changed out the motor to meet spec.

 

I'd be interested in what racing you intend to do and the regulations, looks like your going to have fun stripping and bolting stuff on.

you are right, it is called LWT 650, but since last year there is an exception for the capacity, to cover FZ07 as a possible bike 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enduro250
25 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

lots of threads on the forum about people who have converted the FZ/MT-07 into a track bike the last few years... I suspect the maybe biggest difference will be suspension choice due to your location... 

 

I see that you have removed the airbox?  

yes airbox is removed, I have already ordered a Hordbox.
a SC project ful exhasust is monted;
so thinking about FTecu falsh, PC V or . . .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
norcal616

Welcome to the "Hord Army" 😁

 

either choice of tuner will suffice, but the FTech Autotuner is better...

 

another choice is Woolich Racing and the " Race Kit" add-ons they sell... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enduro250

I'm a bit confused about the FTecu flash kit
this first bike will run in the stock class
next year maybe, I will build another FZ , second step , with R6 front end and more development on engine side
and then , I have to buy a new license for FTecu, because it is just licensed for 1 ECU?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mossrider

Just keep your flashed ecu and move it to new bike. We routinely swap ecu's from bike to bike. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fzar
7 hours ago, mossrider said:

Howdy, and welcome! Great source of information here. Contact a friend of mine in Spain, Antonio Maeso. He built a TT legal bike off the 655cc Australian LAMS model. He is an accomplished racer, mechanic and engineer. Good luck and have fun.

 

Dave

Blue Line Racing

 

https://sites.google.com/view/antoniomaeso/home

Thats the guy I was on about.

 

7 hours ago, fzar said:

I know of a spanish guy who used the frame and changed out the motor to meet spec.

I saw him race the NW200 (on tv) on the swapped out motor, according to the commentators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blackout
7 hours ago, enduro250 said:

I'm a bit confused about the FTecu flash kit
this first bike will run in the stock class
next year maybe, I will build another FZ , second step , with R6 front end and more development on engine side
and then , I have to buy a new license for FTecu, because it is just licensed for 1 ECU?

Yup, the FTecu kit includes just one license.  You pay a little extra for another license.  I have the FTecu bike side kit on my bike.  If I was to do it over, I would do the Power Commander V so I can make changes at the track without worry of bricking the ECU.  The FTecu needs a internet connection to update the ECU and one hiccup you may struggle to make your next track session or race.  Just a thought anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregjet

I agree with blackout. The changes you need with the flash will be fine and most things will not need adjustment at the track except fuelling. A pcv ( or equivalent) is then a good addition to allow fuelling adjustment, and also allow a quickshifter ( if the rules allow) to be added easily. Also allows 2 maps , so you could have a softer rain map easily stored.

I am guessing there is no english translation of the class rules. That would be interesting to find the loopholes. My German is very poor nowdays and never that good for tech stuff, so the originals may be a bit difficult for me.

The big thing is the suspension on this bike. Biggest bang for you buck.

One word I will add is re: handlebars. For the track, my opinion is that the best shape and control is the Woodcraft "clip ons". However, They are pretty much THE heaviest handlebar option. You need to know that for you choice.

Edited by gregjet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cornerslider
4 hours ago, gregjet said:

I agree with blackout. The changes you need with the flash will be fine and most things will not need adjustment at the track except fuelling. A pcv ( or equivalent) is then a good addition to allow fuelling adjustment, and also allow a quickshifter ( if the rules allow) to be added easily. Also allows 2 maps , so you could have a softer rain map easily stored.

I am guessing there is no english translation of the class rules. That would be interesting to find the loopholes. My German is very poor nowdays and never that good for tech stuff, so the originals may be a bit difficult for me.

The big thing is the suspension on this bike. Biggest bang for you buck.

One word I will add is re: handlebars. For the track, my opinion is that the best shape and control is the Woodcraft "clip ons". However, They are pretty much THE heaviest handlebar option. You need to know that for you choice.

I agree with the last (two) posts: I did the PCV, and the Hordpower intake. I can honestly say it was by far the BEST $300 I spent on my FZ-07!!! Hord is great to deal with. If you buy the intake from him, he gives you the appropriate map for free via email. His map has you tap into the gear selector/speed sensor, and it re-maps the fueling depending on what gear you're in. It as actually VERY easy to do. (You tap into one existing wire, and run a wire to the PCV) Once the map is loaded, this will may your bike pull MUCH harder! 😎 Also, installing the PCV is pretty easy as well. Take your time, and read the directions thoroughly, or reference YouTube. I'm TERRIBLE with electrical, and I've done the PCV on several bikes. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.