The MT-07 Forum

Does the FZ07 have an AIS valve?

Leo Vannucci

Hello,

I have an M4 exhaust + Power Commander + DNA filter and lid, after some custom mapping on the Power Commander (and it also happened when I was using the Dynojet “stock” maps)... I still get some weird pop (decel).

I was told by Dynojet that unless I block off the AIS VALVE I will still get popping no matter what. Does the FZ07 have an AIS valve (or some sort of clean air valve or whatever that pumps cold air into the exhaust?).

• Premium Member

the FZ-07 does not have an AIS but the CA bike has a "vapor canister"... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

2 hours ago, norcal616 said:

the FZ-07 does not have an AIS but the CA bike has a "vapor canister"... 

I wonder if mine has one too. What is it for?

maybe I’m getting the decel pop due to some sort of leak in the exhaust.

• Premium Member

if your bike is a CA bike it will have one unless it was a used CA bike were previous owner may have/not removed it... its purpose is to catch "fuel vapors" from going into the atmosphere...

your popping may be due to exhaust leak, the base tune used is not slightly adjusted for elevation... exhaust leaks are easy to find with one of them "long reach" candle lighters, just run the lighter flame around the joints and watch for the flame to dance/go out... if you find a leak, either seal it with proper sealant or expand the exhaust pipe for a tighter fit...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

17 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

if your bike is a CA bike it will have one unless it was a used CA bike were previous owner may have/not removed it... its purpose is to catch "fuel vapors" from going into the atmosphere...

your popping may be due to exhaust leak, the base tune used is not slightly adjusted for elevation... exhaust leaks are easy to find with one of them "long reach" candle lighters, just run the lighter flame around the joints and watch for the flame to dance/go out... if you find a leak, either seal it with proper sealant or expand the exhaust pipe for a tighter fit...

I believe I didn’t use enough Loctite anti seize on the gaskets, could that be it?

• Premium Member

i dunno... first find out if its leaking, if it aint leaking- then go down the list of reasons why... 

is your ECU flashed? 

are you using the PCV or the old school dial adjustment FC? 

6 hours ago, norcal616 said:

i dunno... first find out if its leaking, if it aint leaking- then go down the list of reasons why... 

is your ECU flashed? 

are you using the PCV or the old school dial adjustment FC? 

I’m using the new Power Commander FC. It’s running a custom map from Jeffo maps. It popped the same with the custom map or the regular map.

• Premium Member

hmm I think you are the only(?) member of the forum to use that "tuner"... i can only think of a few options/ideas...take em with a grain of salt im not familiar with that style of tuner

the dial control tuner is not as fine tuned as the PCV tuner so I bet some popping will be norm due to "adjustability" of the tuner...

have you tried using the baffle if you are not? 

have you tried using the stock filter/lid

you might have to try rent an AFR gauge from Dobeck and see whats going on and play with the dials one at a time(at least write down the current settings before doing this) and watch the gauge to see what happens across the rpm range

3 hours ago, norcal616 said:

hmm I think you are the only(?) member of the forum to use that "tuner"... i can only think of a few options/ideas...take em with a grain of salt im not familiar with that style of tuner

the dial control tuner is not as fine tuned as the PCV tuner so I bet some popping will be norm due to "adjustability" of the tuner...

have you tried using the baffle if you are not? 

have you tried using the stock filter/lid

you might have to try rent an AFR gauge from Dobeck and see whats going on and play with the dials one at a time(at least write down the current settings before doing this) and watch the gauge to see what happens across the rpm range

By baffle you mean the db killer?

I noticed the decel pop in two different very specific scenarios. At first, both using the dynojet maps and the jeffo maps, I would have a very loud pop at the end of every hard run on first and second gear, like, close to the redline and then pop.

Jeffo sent me about 4 mods of the original map in order to try and reduce this. It did stop the kind of pop I mentioned, however, a new pop appeared.

Now, when riding at medium to high speeds, while holding the rpms at around 6k in say, 3rd gear, as soon as I close and then open up the throttle again (very slight movements) it pops; it's even controllable, like, I can let the pop go in a loud bang or in little bursts...

Weird!

• Premium Member

yes baffle= DB killer

as for the "controlable" popping, yeah that's weird... weird enough to occupy my mind like a song stuck on repeat... 

2 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

yes baffle= DB killer

as for the "controlable" popping, yeah that's weird... weird enough to occupy my mind like a song stuck on repeat... 

It was weird indeed, I mean, I was riding with my friends and I could look at them and show them (while running) how I could make the bike pop according to how fast or slow I opened the throttle (and this took only about 1mm of throttle travel).

The dynojet PCV maps adjust fuel input & ignition timing adjustments. Using the PCV fuel maps on your fuel only FC controller is not going to be optimal in my opinion.

I've never had any exhaust popping issues with any PCV maps.

Exhaust popping is usually either an exhaust leak letting air in or bad fuelling tune. That's it. Over to you for further investigation.

• Global Moderator

It seems the FC is only letting you address half of the problem.  Not being able to adjust timing as well will not let you get it set up perfectly. 

Weird pop decel? You mean rum rum pop pop rum rum pop pop?

I get a little decel pop but Im running rich. 

Same thing happens for my cars in past 350z, 300zx. I had them both running rich.

Thought it goes with the territory...

FYI, My FZ  Settings

I have FCU|Flash flashed from PC5 map (Akrapovic Carbon Full Exhaust and DNA Air Filter).

Also I have decel fuel turned on; as opposed to off like others like.

Lastly I find the map variety from Power Commander 5 run rich no matter what scenario you use...

Maybe change the fuel map to less fuel may take away the pop?

On 9/18/2018 at 5:03 PM, Kyuzo said:

Weird pop decel? You mean rum rum pop pop rum rum pop pop?

I get a little decel pop but Im running rich. 

Same thing happens for my cars in past 350z, 300zx. I had them both running rich.

Thought it goes with the territory...

FYI, My FZ  Settings

I have FCU|Flash flashed from PC5 map (Akrapovic Carbon Full Exhaust and DNA Air Filter).

Also I have decel fuel turned on; as opposed to off like others like.

Lastly I find the map variety from Power Commander 5 run rich no matter what scenario you use...

Maybe change the fuel map to less fuel may take away the pop?

I'm gonna take aparte my M4 slip-on this weekend using another set of new gaskets and more anti-seize and stuff to really cancel out the exhaust leak part.

I'm not sure if you can manually modify the maps for the PowerCommander FC like you can with the PCV. If you can, go into the map and add fuel trim to the 0% throttle range from about 2000RPM up to red line. Start with about 5 on the fuel trim. It should help with decel popping. The reason you notice it more is because performance exhausts are alot more open than stock so you hear everything.

Archived