The MT-07 Forum

Absolutely excessive list of mods regarding weight reduction

Mad

after A LOT of time wasted thinking about this .. this is the result ! (But  I wasn’t so mad to do it)

The list will work this way ,the first part is about removing stuff , the second about spending some money and the last is about my mental illness 

less Is more

Aluminium frame covers 

plastic fork covers 

coolant tank cover 

radiator covers

heel guards 

rear mud guard

Tank center plastic

passenger pegs ( no more passengers..)

passenger seat strip

the metal bolts under the pegs 

License plate holder’s mudguard 

exhaust cover 

tools ( Belive me , don’t do it )

fuel canister ( €4 only)

Reflector (€4 only)

Mirrors ( not quite legal )

bar ends ( will add vibrations )

Air filter cover

Time to pay 

exhaust ( no dB killer .. for lightness)

Lithium battery 

ergal handlebar

ergal bar ends 

Seat cowl

Tidy tail 

blinkers 

520 conversion

ergal sprocket nuts

Lighter front disks 

extra light rear disk 

titanium brake disk’s hardware 

shock absorber 

Carbon fiber front mudguard 

rear sets

Fuel cup

Ergal “non stressed “ hardware

titanium “stressed” hardware

ergal wheel spacers

to be continued

no db killer for lightness.... haha

Coolant tank cover weighs nothing and actually guards against flying stones since it's right behind the front tire.  I'd keep that. 

Heel guards really do keep your feet out of the chain/swingarm when things get messy.  Again they weigh nothing, so I'd keep those. 

I have a pretty big list of weights for parts I stripped off my bike I can share if curious about certain items. Passenger pegs and frame covers were significant.  I ditched the fork covers just because. Their weight is minimal, but I foresee forks rusting behind there without constant cleaning and care.

Tail tidy is a win-win, especially the $2-something dollar eBay versions, which are provento be solid.

520 conversion interests me. I'd be curious to know the weight difference,especially with an aluminum sprocket out back. Rotating mass is crucial. My current rear tire weighs 3lbs more than my previous and you can easily feel the power loss. 

4 hours ago, shinyribs said:

no db killer for lightness.... haha

Coolant tank cover weighs nothing and actually guards against flying stones since it's right behind the front tire.  I'd keep that. 

Heel guards really do keep your feet out of the chain/swingarm when things get messy.  Again they weigh nothing, so I'd keep those. 

I have a pretty big list of weights for parts I stripped off my bike I can share if curious about certain items. Passenger pegs and frame covers were significant.  I ditched the fork covers just because. Their weight is minimal, but I foresee forks rusting behind there without constant cleaning and care.

Tail tidy is a win-win, especially the $2-something dollar eBay versions, which are provento be solid.

520 conversion interests me. I'd be curious to know the weight difference,especially with an aluminum sprocket out back. Rotating mass is crucial. My current rear tire weighs 3lbs more than my previous and you can easily feel the power loss. 

I really think that removing a lot of little things will add over time 

but im not brave enough to apply everything 😆

• Premium Member

I'm gonna ride my mountain bike more as I think I have at least 20 lbs I can shave off, (try to beat that number by removing stuff, ) if I achieve it🚵‍♀️. lithium battery went its needed. I won't remove anything that has Guard in its name, nope,nope. radiator guard, coolant tank guard, heel guard, are all staying. I might change the T-Rex frame sliders as they weigh quite a bit and replace them with something not so bulky and cumbersome, but they look good with the burple FZ-07 that they don't make anymore (copyright thing I think) I do like the stator and clutch guards I bought from them. I'm on the fence about a exhaust, as much as I would like to lose the sewing machine sound, I like the way it goes unnoticed when I'm in the upper end of the tach. 

• Global Moderator

If you ride naked you could save the weight of all that gear.  You did title it an excessive list after all. :) 

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

If you ride naked you could save the weight of all that gear.  You did title it an excessive list after all. :) 

You run the risk of being arrested for; riding without the appropriate safety gear, ya know , not having eye protection!!😉

• Global Moderator

Good point. I guess goggles and a Speedo would make you legal in many states and still be pretty light.  Well maybe not pretty, but light... 

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

Good point. I guess goggles and a Speedo would make you legal in many states and still be pretty light.  Well maybe not pretty, but light... 

It would in Arkansas. Seriously it would! Cover the jewels and wear sunglasses your good. No inspection either!! It baffles me beyond belief, you should see some of the contraptions on the road that are considered legal. Top five most dangerous state to drive in, I can't remember where Arkansas ranked but we neighbour all other 4 states. MS, AL, LA, OK. Good stuff!! I had read a report on this maybe 3 years ago, so I maybe not entirely correct on the other states. I know for sure you'd be legal with speedo's and sunglasses in AR. 

• Premium Member

yall forgot the Hordpower Airbox 🙈 and remove all plastic body panels...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

3 hours ago, mjh937 said:

Underwear ! You can remove them without any one noticing 

Long, long ago, I got talked into a nude bicycle ride. It was all legal and legit, a charity fund raiser. 

Might as well go nude on a motorcycle. Just some sun glasses, should be good to go!

• 2 weeks later...

Have you weighed the bike since doing all this? Just curious what it all adds up to!

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, zombiphone said:

Have you weighed the bike since doing all this? Just curious what it all adds up to!

i have weighed the individual pieces ive taken off and their replacements, but i havent yet weighed th bike itself. though i would really like to. not sure where i can do that though.
i'm down almost 25lbs overall, and i still havent gotten the hordpower box that i want, or the ap shock link which should shave off another 2

then there's the diet for shaving lbs off the rider, 40# so far, 20 more to go and i'll be happy. 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

One of my local community colleges used to offer vehicle scales. Or well, there's always the bathroom scale method of weighing bikes, haha

25 pounds is pretty damn good, considering how light this bike is to start!

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• Global Moderator
51 minutes ago, zombiphone said:

One of my local community colleges used to offer vehicle scales. Or well, there's always the bathroom scale method of weighing bikes, haha

25 pounds is pretty damn good, considering how light this bike is to start!

Rear pegs/brackets(~4# each), bars/clamps(~2#), rearsets(~2# each), rear fender(~2#), sidecovers(~2# each) and then swapping to a lighter 520 chain/sprocket set(~4# between both sprockets and the chain) and other various minor changes

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived