The MT-07 Forum

2018 Triumph Bonneville t120

minkster

So....  I went down to the local triumph dealer.  The bikes are absolutely gorgeous, works of art really.  I mean, look at those lines!  Who has ridden a triumph t120?  Usually, here in denver, you get a great deal on a bike in Nov/Dec.  I am scared to do a test ride, because of impulse control issues, and I would just sign on the dotted line.  My guess is about 12k out the door if I get a good deal.  It can't be as fun as the fz07, but it is much better looking.  These bikes were all new in 2016, the kinks are worked out for the 2018 models.

image.png.d551555fde529a04ffe7cb088385d201.png

As a kid in the sixties I grew up seeing a lot of bikes with that style, I'm nuts about tanks like that, they're just beautiful! You're right, they're works of art and I've always wanted one, no matter their flaws. (Maybe that's how H.D. guys feel about turds???)  Should my FZ ever "bite it" I will fulfill my childhood dream of having such a beautiful bike. 

Side note, I pulled up next to a guy on one in Riverview, Fl. a couple years back and he showed me what the bike had and believe me, the bike is no turd. He got on it hard and it appeared to be every bit as quick as our beloved FZ-07, quicker maybe. With my gut I might get mistaken for Brando speeding bye, ha!

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

Definitely a work of art: there's just something about British bikes.  If they weren't so expensive and the nearest dealer wasn't over 150 km away, I would have one now--maybe someday--sigh.👍

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

I never planned to own a bike, but there was this Triumph Scrambler in Steve McQueen green on eBay and the next thing I knew I'd bought it.  Drop-dead gorgeous.  Also bigger than it looked.  Too big for my 5'6"/150#.  With a Roland Sands seat it was almost manageable, but I found a buyer who was more appropriate.  Took the cash and bought my FZ-07 (with a little left over).  I can certainly feel the more than 100# difference.  No regrets.

IMG_2927.JPG

I just threw a leg over a new T120 a couple weeks ago. Got admit, I'm tempted as well - and I really don't need a 3rd bike.

Yep, really nicely done. Just the perfect amount of shiny chrome bits. The motor makes something like 70 ft-lbs torque at 3k RPM, so it will feel very relaxed cruising along. Triumph even got the sound right and the 270 crank will have a similar feel/sound to the FZ, just deeper with less revs.

Oh, those pea-shooters, they get in the way of a torque wrench when it comes time to adjust the chain or change a tire. Thankfully, they are slip-ons.

Unadjustable suspension except for preload, but ride quality is suppose to be quite good. The front is a cartridge. 

Wish they'd figure out how to do wheels like this w/o tubes. Spoked wheels are no fun to keep clean. Seat is worlds more comfy than the FZ's. And why can't they hinge the gas cap?

I think you wouldn't regret it. I'll take mine in Competition Green 

• Global Moderator

It looks good, buy the Triumph dealer in my town closed, then the one half an hour drive away closed.  The closest is now over an hour away, and who knows how long that one will last.  If they had a better dealer presence it would be tempting, as would the new Street Triple. 

Archived