The MT-07 Forum

How old is to old for tires

phanomenal07

What do you guys think about using old tires?

A friend of mine gave me a set of Dunlop Q3 that are from the 32nd week of 2014. Is that too old? 

Are they dry rotted anywhere, cracking, brittle feeling? You take your chances even with new tires so I'd shy away from anything questionable that old. 

Beemer

• Premium Member

race tires have very short shelf life vs street tires... avoid cracking, dry rot, flat spot from sitting upright on tread for 4yrs+ , lots of blue hue on surface, etc...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

1 hour ago, phanomenal07 said:

No they look to be in really good conditions

I bought brand new recap car tires once to save money. They looked great, one unraveled at 80 mph. Never recaps, ever again. No one can say what those tires will do, it's a good guess at best. GL!

Beemer

Thanks for the input  guys. I still don’t know what to do with them. But these tires are brand new. He never used them and kept them in a garage since he got them. So idk.

Kept in a garage way from direct sunlight helps keep them in good shape. Don't think I've ever owned a 4 year old tire, but I have bought 2 year old tires that took me another year to wear out. 

I'd run 'em. You can buy the tools to mount tires yourself for what a shop will charge you to do it one time. They aren't going to explode or crumble on you. Worst thing is the rubber ma be a bit dry and/or hard. If you take off riding and it feels like they slide around- there's your answer. If they handle fine- congrats on the free shoes!

Most people ride so little they will often wear the same set of tires for 5 years, even though they were perfectly "new" at time of purchase. No difference. 

As long as rubber is stored in a controlled environment (no sun) the life can be extended. I did a trip to Alaska on a Goldwing once and to get back to Texas safely I needed a front tire. The only tire I could find was nearly 7 years old (it was found in a motorcycle dealership stored up on a shelf out of sun). Got me back no problem, it never showed weather cracking or anything negative.  Just keep an eye on it and when it starts to crack time to consider.

My tyres are 2014 (8,000 miles).  Front will need changing next year due to wear, but not the rear. The comparative lightness of our bikes seems kind to our tyres. Age looks like being a factor eventually for me more than wear. On balance, so long as the rubber shows no sign whatever of deterioration I would use those tyres.

Just do it! 

4 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

Thanks for the input  guys. I still don’t know what to do with them. But these tires are brand new. He never used them and kept them in a garage since he got them. So idk.

I was erring on the side of caution in my earlier post. (mucho caution) If they've been kept out of direct sunlight for that long and in a place where there is moisture I would first flex the hell out of them to see if any cracks appear anywhere, check inside also with a flashlight for any flaws in the materials. If they check good I would then put them on and inflate them and check for cracks, etc. again. After that I would try them out at low speed, leaning left and right, ride across bumps, hit the driveway curb (if you have one) with a little speed to put a bit of a 'stress test' to them. It's ok, get a little rough with them. 

Better they blow out under 20 mph. than at around 70 on the highway. Then, if I felt confident enough with them I would relax and enjoy the ride.

Beemer

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

What do you guys think about using old tires?

A friend of mine gave me a set of Dunlop Q3 that are from the 32nd week of 2014. Is that too old? 

For me, that would be too old.  Tires are just too important on a motorbike to be taking chances.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator

I bought my bike in July 2014 and replaced the tires this Spring because of wear.  The tires were fine otherwise.  I keep my bike in a garage, so sunlight is not an issue.  I would use four year old tires that were stored out of sunlight if they looked good visually. 

I see. Thanks guys. 

Now the the question is would you use it on the track. I currently have Michelin pilot power 2 ct on right now that I have road for the last 3500 miles. I don’t know how much better the Q3s are suppose to be then the 2ct. 

4year old 0 0mile Q3s vs 3500 mostly highway mile 2ct born this year

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

For a track only bike (or even just occasional track use) where I was planning to REALLY  push it......fresh rubber all the way.  

Other than this situation, I'd ride with them. They really can't be that bad if you feel there okay, I mean if you see some of the tyres people are riding on everyday that they feel are good ignoring TWI (+ 3000 miles) put them on and see how you feel.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

I see. Thanks guys. 

Now the the question is would you use it on the track. I currently have Michelin pilot power 2 ct on right now that I have road for the last 3500 miles. I don’t know how much better the Q3s are suppose to be then the 2ct. 

My answer was with regard to using on the track.  Assumed such since they are Q3's.  

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

2014? toss em.  I run Qs on everything, 1 good season on Q2's is enough Q3 maybe 2 depends on many conditions, but Q3 plus I have yet to run.    IMO the Qs start to break down after a good season, I get around 2500 on a set with the R1 1500 if I running hard in the street, tire pressure and how hot the season is.  They they start to slip

If there is no cracking on the side walls, I mean look at then with a mag glass at the bead area when inflated and you see no discoloration in them side walls, meaning a shade difference you may get away with it, but personally 2014 NO WAY.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

18 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

I see. Thanks guys. 

My question to you is, do you have the gear to match a wipe out at high speed on a track and are you willing to test your gear in such a way? 

I look at it this way, if the years of those tires not being used have compromised them in such a small way that you can't detect it it's possible you will detect it when the bike is pushed to it's limits on a track and it might be too late then. I don't think that's too far out of the scope. Also, ask yourself this, if it were a professional racing team with the decision to use them on a track do you think they would take that chance? You take the chance of losing bike, rider and the win. Of course in the end it's ultimately your decision so gl with whatever you choose.

Beemer

Archived