The MT-07 Forum

*New* 2018 MT-07 Oil "leak" seepage?

MT07Kev

Hello all, this is my first post. My bike appear's to be "weeping a very tiny amount of oil on the lower front right side (if your sitting on the bike) right above the oil pan "the main engine". The bolt in question has a #14 and a light oil residue will appear around this bolt and it's washer (not enough to drip) just enough to be noticed and gleam when a light is shined on it. I have just under 900 miles, and i first noticed this when doing a look over of the bike for leak's etc, when i first found the leak it was a bit worse and on the face of the bolt about to drip but now it is like seen in the photo's below "not as bad". There are two bolt's down there that are marked #14 both have done this (one bolt is not pictured it is isolated from the rest, both have what appear's to be washers as well "almost like a crush washer". Thinking of taking it to the dealer, for warranty for sure. Bike has had IMG_0245.thumb.JPG.a78280302c6b8740f9394f0b0a52c8cc.JPGit's first oil change (done by myself properly) Yamalube 10w40 yamaha oil filter fresh crush washer not overfilled. Has anyone heard of this or had a similar problem?

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

These are all crankcase bolts of varying sizes and lengths. The numbers on the casting represent the order they get tightened. The number on the bolt is the grade, or size or something like that. Looks like there are 6 of these bolts with washers. The manual just calls them washers, but does specify new ones if you split the cases, so maybe they are crush types. 

None of these bolts are very tight, but the ones that have washers are tightened to 17 ft-lbs , then loosened one by one and retighten to 12 ft-lbs and then turned 60 degrees more. There's a warning if it's tightened too far, the bolt (and I assume washer) must be replaced. It's takes a very expensive torque wrench to do this accurately! 

It shouldn't be leaking at any of these bolt heads. My are bone dry after 3 years. With it under warranty, take it to your dealer and mention this special procedure for these 6 bolts w/washers. Hopefully, the guy with the biggest forearms in the shop doesn't just go for a bigger wrench. 

think I would hose the bottom of the case where the bolt heads are with some contact cleaner and then keep an eye on it - just to make sure the oil didn't come from the oil/filter change somehow

23 hours ago, rick said:

think I would hose the bottom of the case where the bolt heads are with some contact cleaner and then keep an eye on it - just to make sure the oil didn't come from the oil/filter change somehow

Agreed, if it's not really leaking now why fix it?

Beemer

Archived