The MT-07 Forum

Tracer - FZ similarities?

shinyribs

Anyone have a line on how much of the FZ chassis remains the same on the Tracer? I'm not worried about simple things like tabs or brackets. I understand the Tracer is forced to come with ABS and TC, and of course we don't know is the States will even get this model anyway. 

I love my FZ, but if it's doable I'll order a tail and nose from a wrecked eBay Tracer and build my own. Curious mainly how the "subframes" differ, if any. 

I don't know how plausible this is, a nightmare of a project for sure.  The swingarm on the tracer is longer, and the rake is a little more, 25 instead of 24 degrees.  I would just as soon get a versys 650 and modify it the way you want, as it is the closest thing we have to a tracer 700.  We should know in a month whether the tracer 700 is a 2019 usa model.

At first glance and just by looking at parts fiches, the frames look nearly identical.  Different part numbers though.  Maybe a few different tabs here and there.

tracer700frame.JPG.aeeee25e66d297d109c3fa55a35d4fbe.JPG

Yamaha's website is showing the 900 Tracer available as a new model for 2019, but no mention of the 700. 

Though after posting this I went for a ride and remembered how much I love the look of my FZ. I'm torn. :(

• Premium Member

would need new lots of stuff to make a FZ into a "Tracer" 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

To have a full bone stock one? Sure. But just to swap on a different tank and seat/tail plastics? Not a big deal at all. Swingarm would be optional. 

If only an FZ-07 engine would fit into an 550 Vision frame w/4.4 gal tank, comfy seat, ergo's and maintenance free shaft drive.

Beemer

Now you're talking!

I'd like a belt driven Tracer 700, but with the FZ headlight. Not big on fairings, personally. Tracer tank holds 4.5 gallons

I have sometimes wondered if they might produce a cruiser/bobber on this platform.  Perhaps more torque in exchange for less power.

Just do it! 

Archived