The MT-07 Forum

A Trackday Hero Runs Out of Talent....

blackout

• Premium Member

I managed to keep the bike up, but I just got side swiped on the track.  He tried over taking me, but ran out of talent and turned into my race lane while I was still there.

0908181620.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator

why you gottta be all racy there @blackout

jk, you alright though? no broken leg or felony charges?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, blackout said:

I managed to keep the bike up, but I just got side swiped on the track.  He tried over taking me, but ran out of talent and turned into my race lane while I was still there.

0908181620.jpg

I hope your okay man. Was it the other riders back tyre? Because your frame slider seems to have come out of it unscathed. Did you go down?

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, fzar said:

I hope your okay man. Was it the other riders back tyre? Because your frame slider seems to have come out of it unscathed. Did you go down?

It was the back of his bike that hit me, not sure what exact part of his bike.  I did not go down.  This was the novice group and not sure why he wanted to overtake me as I was riding fast for novice.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, blackout said:

It was the back of his bike that hit me, not sure what exact part of his bike.  I did not go down.  This was the novice group and not sure why he wanted to overtake me as I was riding fast for novice.

My understanding of novice trackdays at least at Hallett outside of Tulsa is,( You can only pass on the outside of the rider in front, if its safe to do so. Correct me if I'm wrong on that assuming you were at NYST.?

@blackout

Every track session is like 2 years of college. The wealth of knowledge and experience gained often far outweigh the cost of repairs.  It also adds character to bike and savvy to rider. Take from the event what you can and move on. Remember he didn't do it on purpose, he most likely tripped on his ego (not to mention filled his suit). We all run out of talent sooner or later. Ideally these learning events should come about in a calculated and systematic fashion under our control, but occasionally we are the recipient of someones 'crash course' in riding 101.

Frustrating yes, but Exciting ain't it?

• Premium Member

You start out with a bag of luck, and a bag of experience. Try to fill the bag of experience before you run out of the bag of luck. I quoted this before, for the life of me I cannot find it. To that I’m sure it was! The other shat  there pants. Did you talk to the person? I mean everyone has got in there to hot at 1 point or another. 

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, mossrider said:

Every track session is like 2 years of college. The wealth of knowledge and experience gained often far outweigh the cost of repairs.  It also adds character to bike and savvy to rider. Take from the event what you can and move on. Remember he didn't do it on purpose, he most likely tripped on his ego (not to mention filled his suit). We all run out of talent sooner or later. Ideally these learning events should come about in a calculated and systematic fashion under our control, but occasionally we are the recipient of someones 'crash course' in riding 101.

Frustrating yes, but Exciting ain't it?

Yes, it was exciting that I kept the bike up.  I made it into a positive experience as soon as I gained control.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, fzar said:

You start out with a bag of luck, and a bag of experience. Try to fill the bag of experience before you run out of the bag of luck. I quoted this before, for the life of me I cannot find it. To that I’m sure it was! The other shat  there pants. Did you talk to the person? I mean everyone has got in there to hot at 1 point or another. 

I did not talk to the guy.  Didn't much care to.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, fzar said:

My understanding of novice trackdays at least at Hallett outside of Tulsa is,( You can only pass on the outside of the rider in front, if its safe to do so. Correct me if I'm wrong on that assuming you were at NYST.?

@blackout

Yes, NYST.  Riding here today too.  Passing rules are there, but overall riding safe is stressed the most at the riders meeting.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
2 hours ago, blackout said:

Yes, it was exciting that I kept the bike up.  I made it into a positive experience as soon as I gained control.

Glad you came away from the experience relativity unscathed. 👍

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Rules make racing boring, maybe he did it for personal points?

It's a good thing you had frame slider protectors installed (that shield thingy) or else they might've got seriously scratched up! 😅

Beemer

• Premium Member

On a side note, I started wearing a Hit-Air vest this season.

0909181008.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Rules make racing boring, maybe he did it for personal points?

It's a good thing you had frame slider protectors installed (that shield thingy) or else they might've got seriously scratched up! 😅

For what it's worth, he told the rider coach he did not know he hit me. 

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, blackout said:

Ignorance is bliss. I'm not knocking the person, I for sure think he/she was oblivious to what happened. I do think that if the track rider coach had to ask then you sit out the next session? Maybe I'm wrong.

11 hours ago, blackout said:

Tyson didn't know that was Holyfield's ear either. 😉

Beemer

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, mossrider said:

How did today go????????

🏍

🏍

Awesome.  200 miles of track riding for the weekend.  No better way to spend it.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Bumping is racing

That said a track day is not a race. Glad all ended well

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Bumping is racing

That said a track day is not a race. Glad all ended well

Especially novice.  He was riding like an ass on a rented bike....

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Just now, blackout said:

Awesome.  200 miles of track riding for the weekend.  No better way to spend it.

Have you developed a transport system, routine and pit arrangement that let's you relax and enjoy the track experience to its fullest when not on track? I love lounging around the paddock when not on track.  

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Have you developed a transport system, routine and pit arrangement that let's you relax and enjoy the track experience to its fullest when not on track? I love lounging around the paddock when not on track.  

I have.  Very relaxed between sessions.  I have even taken short naps....  Lol

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Just now, blackout said:

I have.  Very relaxed between sessions.  I have even taken short naps....  Lol

Ahh, noisiest place on earth and sleep like a baby, luv it!

Priceless.

Archived