The MT-07 Forum

Red Bull hare scramble in Austria

firstyammerha

firstyammerha

I caught this the other day on one of the sports channels and I can say that that course was nothing like I used to race on. In Georgia, the courses were pretty flat with maybe a small hill or two and a swampy section to run through. My races were about 5 or 6 miles to the lap and the race had 5 or six laps to it. This Austrian course had a killer long near vertical hillclimb practically right off the start. That hill was so tough that half the intermediate class riders and none of the amateurs managed to top it. Those that topped the hill then rode a mile or so down dirt roads until the contestants were funneled into a forested wet narrow goat trail climb up another monster hill. This section was so devoid of traction that riders were abandoning their bikes so they could help a competitor get his bike up the hill and not create a logjam on the trail. And then there was the boulder field! a hundred yards or more of huge rocks which made the riders do the trials rider thing.I believe there was just one lap and a 43 year old Brit won it overall. Blew my mind. Gotta catch another episode. 

firstyammerha

It was Erzberg and it was totally awesome. Googled this series and there aren't any more scheduled for viewing on the telly in the near future so guess I'll have to look for a video to buy online. The Romanian event maybe interesting. I did see where there was an event in Tennessee but I'm not wild about driving a couple hundred miles to see it next year.

Archived