The MT-07 Forum

Huggers and splash guards?

3crows

I have seen these splash guards that ride about midway up the rear tire to knock spray down, does anyone have one of these to suggest?

Also, I have generally installed a hugger when I do a FE. Does anyone have a good hugger to suggest as well?

Getting caught out in the rain, just having done a (TST) FE, reminded me of why removing the fender is not always the smartest thing even if it is cool looking :(.

James

20 minutes ago, 3crows said:

I have seen these splash guards that ride about midway up the rear tire to knock spray down, does anyone have one of these to suggest?

Also, I have generally installed a hugger when I do a FE. Does anyone have a good hugger to suggest as well?

Getting caught out in the rain, just having done a FE reminded me of why removing the fender is not always the smartest thing even if it is cool looking :(.

James

I live on a dirt road and have the same problem, I grabbed a rear hugger extender from pyramid

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-MT07-XSR700-2013-Pyramid-Rear-Hugger-Extension-072437-Fitting-Kit-/182709005292

As for fit, its not perfect, but it doesn't look bad. I just attached with some epoxy resin and it isn't going anywhere and does what I wanted it to do

Image-1.thumb.jpg.250893e590672f5e1f15af98344502e2.jpg

• Global Moderator

I do not quite understand why people are replacing the hugger.  Why are the aftermarket ones better than stock?  It seems am odd thing to replace. 

58 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I do not quite understand why people are replacing the hugger.  Why are the aftermarket ones better than stock?  It seems am odd thing to replace. 

As far as longer huggers, or extensions go, almost all of the spray coming off a rear tire comes off by 12o'clock. The stock hugger is very far forward of that and allows a lot of sludge to build up under the tail. The aftermarket huggers are longer, so they reach closer to that 12 c'clock position on the tire. A good hugger would extend to about 9 o'clock ( when viewed from the throttle side), but our vnity usually prevents us from running a hugger the wraps so far around lol.

The stock one is, like those on most motorcycles of this ilk, very small and ineffective. It does not protect the bottom of the rear under fairing when operating in wet conditions or like a few of us who live down dirt roads from the mud. 

I have installed extensions or huggers on every sporty bike I have owned since current motorcycles do not have an actual fender. 

It has been 15 years since my last motorcycle but I do not recall parts like huggers etc. being so difficult to shop for (Suzuki SV650S). Just do not see much available for the MT in the USA?

What has changed in the motorcycle aftermarket? 

3 hours ago, 3crows said:

Thanks, I will look into them. They are out of stock it seems now. 

Did you change your wheel color to black?

Nah mate, that's as stock as it gets for the 2018

Oh, and I think there are a few peeps (like puig) floating the exact same extender I've got

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-rear-fender-extender-yamaha-fz-07-mt-07-xsr700-2015-2018

My understanding was that the hugger was to simply keep water and dirt off the rear shock. Making it longer than stock really doesn't do much IMO.

3 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

My understanding was that the hugger was to simply keep water and dirt off the rear shock. Making it longer than stock really doesn't do much IMO.

Which is also why I asked about the splash guards I see on some motorcycles. mounted behind the rear tire. 

Yes, the extended inner fender or hugger, if it is sufficiently long, does eliminate a lot of flung up mud and water. I know this because I have owned numerous motorcycles with them installed. 

Like I said, asked, what has happened that so little seems available for what is supposedly a popular model?

I also would like a real hugger,,   like they use for moto gp bikes. Take a look at those.  Would like to see those made for our street bikes.

valvestem

Get the pyramid plastics--the whole new hugger.  Longer to the back, longer to the front (extends down between swing arm & tire to completely shield the swing arm) & 100% eliminates the rear shock pivot from all spray.  The stock Yamaha one is absolutely pointless.  Most other aftermarket ones keep the rear shock pivot under the hugger.

Where does one buy these things. I see nothing in the USA and everywhere is out of stock?

Like I said, what has changed in the last 15 years that a hugger is hard to find and they used to hang like ripe fruit from every tree, at least for the GXR and SV.

I want a full wheel cover (mudguard) - whatever you would call it - for full protection of me and the bike. Coming from a long time back, while I like the 'floating' seat I have never 'got' the bare tyre. My Rebel has the full works and I am more than happy with that and it still looks good to me. The latest splash guard/hanger on the MT-09 for me just begs for a joining up piece for the gap. (old git, I know 😊)

Just do it! 

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, Duke said:

Puig makes one for FZ-07 as well.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-rear-mudguard-yamaha-fz-07-xsr700

I have it on mine and it works well.

Screenshot_20180906-202821~2.png

I like the looks of it and it looks like it would perform well but my god, $168 for a chunk of plastic! It seems they have us by the shorties.

Beemer

Thanks guys.

You know, being an increasingly old school sort, I frankly, never had anything against fenders. 

The inner fender (hugger) I installed on my SV and SVS were constructed from fiberglass, fit very close to the tire and extended back to about 12o'clock position. 

I will keep checking for the Pyramid till I find one in stock, the extension. The aluminum ones are interesting. 

If I did not have 50 projects already going I could pull a mold off the stock one and then extend the mold and blah, blah etc. It would not be rocket science but dang, you would think the brand new 2018 model of the most popular Yamaha in decades would have more accessories available. 

Archived