Sign in to follow this  
fzinla

Rear wheel lock yp noise

fzinla

Hello,

Just curious why when I lock up my rear wheel, after I let off the brake, I hear like a thump. As if the steel braded line (aftermarket) hits the swing arm but the noise it too loud to be caused by the brake line itself.

Not sure where it is coming from.

Thank you.

NRWhiteKnight

I have a better question............why are you locking up your rear wheel? But I digress.....................

Could just be the pads breaking free from the rotor, like they might be sticking to it a bit from the sudden stop in rotation. Check to make sure there is no play in caliper holder and caliper mounting bolts and make sure axle bolt is tight. Is the rear end in line with the rest of the bike or is it stepped out to the side? Do you only hear a thump or do you feel it as well? 

fzinla

I locked it in to see how much force would lock it. Since I changed my brake lines I wanted to make sure I knew what it takes to lock it. During the exercise I noticed the noise so I did it a couple more times to see if it would go away but it did not.

I only hear it, I do not feel it. The rear end is in line with rest of bike.

DewMan

I'd suggest making sure the caliper mounting bolts are properly torqued and that the rotor isn't warped.

mjh937

Do you have ABS?  I do not know if that would make a difference but it might help in troubleshooting. 

shinyribs

The thump may just be the tire regaining a grip on the road after sliding. The tire is a big ol' hollow rubber ball. I could see it having some hollow "thumpy" sounding harmonics to it.