The MT-07 Forum

Funny chain noise? Check your chain guard/guide.

shinyribs

Yay! I'm not crazy then! lol

I've been about 1500 miles since this setup and I'm not seeing any additional wear on what's left of the chain slider. I'm not immediately worried about finding a replacement, but I also just forgot after not coming up with any aftermarket solutions either. 

Really, I don't see any reason for the slider to have that guide rib other than to reduce friction. I guess it makes sense to let the rollers glide over that center rib vs having the side plates drag the slider, but the chain doesn't need the extra guidance. 

Re: chain lube. I only use BelRay Super Clean. 10k miles and the underside of my chain guide is clean as new. The true no-fling stuff!

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1

Sounds like Yamaha may need to re-engineer the chain sliders. Anyone with a 2018 MT that can post up if the newer bikes have anything updated in this area?  A recall would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Sounds like Yamaha may need to re-engineer the chain sliders. Anyone with a 2018 MT that can post up if the newer bikes have anything updated in this area?  A recall would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath. 

I just checked the parts diagram. The 17 and 18 have the same part number on the chain guide. However, the 18 has an additional $3 part that goes on the swing arm under the chain guide. The catalog calls it a seal. Im willing to bet its an adhesive strip to keep the guide from bowing out. Im gonna order one with my new guide on payday and ill let you guys know. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

I just checked the parts diagram. The 17 and 18 have the same part number on the chain guide. However, the 18 has an additional $3 part that goes on the swing arm under the chain guide. The catalog calls it a seal. Im willing to bet its an adhesive strip to keep the guide from bowing out. Im gonna order one with my new guide on payday and ill let you guys know.  

Part# please?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

2 hours ago, DewMan said:

Part# please?

Chain guide part number for 17/18 model

1WS-22151-00-00 

Additional piece under guide on 18 model part number

BU2-22358-00-00

• Thanks 1

Its labeled #2 in the diagram. It isnt om the 2017 diagram. It clearly goes between the swing arm and chain guide. 

Screenshot_20181002-130830_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I figured this out a long time ago while I was replacing my chain thinking that was causing the noise - the wheel alignment was a little off, but the chain was vibrating against the swingarm at high speed creating this unearthly noise. When I replaced the chain guide with a fresh new one the noise disappeared - and for $12 it was a good fix. I still look at it each time I lube the chain to make sure it's not wearing incorrectly again, and I bought one of those chain alignment tools to be sure it doesn't happen again.

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

8 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Its labeled #2 in the diagram. It isnt om the 2017 diagram. It clearly goes between the swing arm and chain guide. 

Screenshot_20181002-130830_Chrome.jpg

Very informative picture they give us lol 

Good catch on this, man. Curious see what this turns out to be. 

On 9/6/2018 at 10:03 PM, robbo10 said:

Checked mine and it is straight. I need to get a closer look at the beginning of that ridge (back end) to see if needs chiselling into a slope.

I have just chiselled off and chamfered the rear end of the ridge. In case it is causing noise with such a 'cliff'. Ridge is still straight on mine but it is  very rubbery and so would easily follow the chain.

Just do it! 

firstyammerha

I checked my chain and guide after reading this post last month and it appears the chain rollers are centered on the rib. There didn't appear to be any gouging to the guide anywhere. I believe the shop guys got things right when they did my 600 mile check.

• 1 year later...

thank-you and well done shinyribs.

my chain has completely worn through the rubber and started on the swingarm paint.

Edited by 00RAH
unsafe
  • Like 1

So......sorry. i completely forgot about this. I ordered mystery part #2 and the chain guide OVER a year ago lol. Its is simply a clear vynil sticker to keep the guide from rubbing through the paint. It is NOT to keep the guide in place. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bigturbomax said:

So......sorry. i completely forgot about this. I ordered mystery part #2 and the chain guide OVER a year ago lol. Its is simply a clear vynil sticker to keep the guide from rubbing through the paint. It is NOT to keep the guide in place. 

Yep

I changed the chain guard some days ago, the new one had a slight S-shape out of the package. Pic is low quality but I think you can see it:

IMG_20191212_200016.thumb.jpg.b58ace9f7c82bf2e14d0feca426f4dca.jpg

I made the magical SEAL by myself and added 3 layers of Hammerite to the blank spot. Fixed the chain guide in straight position with tape. We will see.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...