The MT-07 Forum

Funny chain noise? Check your chain guard/guide.

shinyribs

So, I always thought the chain on this bike was noisy. Louder than any other bike I've owned or ridden.  I've heard lots of other owners mention it, too.  Recently I changed my front sprocket and found this unusual wear. 

Engine side: (ignore the metal dust- that's just debris from sitting behind a belt sander)

GLnzbEgl.jpg

Outer/ retaining nut side:

O30jDJnl.jpg

Witness marks in the damper material also showing the chain running too tight against the inner face of the sprocket:

ft8kJ8yl.jpg

I found the issue to be a distorted chain guard. 

I don't know how I never spotted this, but the chain guard was very distorted. You can see where the chain was trying to derail the guide rib and run straight. The guide rib pushing the chain this direction matches up with the damage. 

exoUDacl.jpg

Kur18PSl.jpg

Jz0XZ7Ll.jpg

kwyAje0l.jpg
So I took a razor and cut the center rib off. The rest of the guard will last plenty long enough for me to find a replacement. Hopefully there a nice aftermarket solution. The material Yamaha uses is too rubbery to retain it's shape, apparently. The bottom leg of the guard has two push pins to keep it in place and aligned, but for some reason there's only one pin up top. Guard needs to be much more rigid for the distance it needs to span. 

Funny chain noise is gone. I bet my sprockets will last longer, too!

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Very good to know. Ill need to take a closer look at mine. I've always thought this bike's chain was noisier than other bikes I've owned or ridden. I had just assumed it was one of this bike's quirks. You got me worried now lol

Edited by Bigturbomax
Typos, as usual.
  • Haha 1

I've been assuming the same thing for the past 9k miles. Even replaced the stock chain with a "nicer" DID chain. No difference, of course.  I reckon it's been like this since new since the noise is gone now. I just feel bad that I never saw that guide rib being so far off. 

Oh well, live and learn. Every day is a school day. And listen to your bike!

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
5 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I don't know how I never spotted this, but the chain guard was very distorted. You can see where the chain was trying to derail the guide rib and run straight. The guide rib pushing the chain this direction matches up with the damage. 

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll have to check my chain guide. 👍

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Premium Member
On 9/3/2018 at 11:06 PM, shinyribs said:

So, I always thought the chain on this bike was noisy. Louder than any other bike I've owned or ridden.  I've heard lots of other owners mention it, too.  Recently I changed my front sprocket and found this unusual wear. 

Engine side: (ignore the metal dust- that's just debris from sitting behind a belt sander)

GLnzbEgl.jpg

Outer/ retaining nut side:

O30jDJnl.jpg

Witness marks in the damper material also showing the chain running too tight against the inner face of the sprocket:

ft8kJ8yl.jpg

I found the issue to be a distorted chain guard. 

exoUDacl.jpg

Kur18PSl.jpg

Jz0XZ7Ll.jpg

kwyAje0l.jpg
So I took a razor and cut the center rib off. The rest of the guard will last plenty long enough for me to find a replacement. Hopefully there a nice aftermarket solution. The material Yamaha uses is too rubbery to retain it's shape, apparently. The bottom leg of the guard has two push pins to keep it in place and aligned, but for some reason there's only one pin up top. Guard needs to be much more rigid for the distance it needs to span. 

Funny chain noise is gone. I bet my sprockets will last longer, too!

My guide is just like yours.  Never thought it would be a problem.  Thanks for the heads up.  I'll need to look at my front sprocket.  I'm at 11,500 miles with the stock chain.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Just replaced my chain and sprockets. The front sprocket had the same wear as yours, but my chain guide had no weird wear, just split ends. By the looks of it, it's installed incorrectly or faulty guide ? mine runs straight if seen from the back side.

39 minutes ago, godoy.rafa said:

Great! Will cut mine also.

Replaced mine last month, the old one fell during a corner and almost locked my rear wheel, was scary!

Jeez, no shet?! Does the dealership know it fell off? That's definitely not normal. I'll be looking at mine before I ride here in about 5 minutes. Thanks for the heads up @shinyribs!

Beemer

I don't think anyone could install one incorrectly with the way they're made. Just three little rubber nubs that pop in to the swinger. But now that mines been off on of the bottom nubs doesn't want to stay in it's hole. I gotta leave on a trip in the am and don't have time to do anything. I reckon it'll get ziptied for now. Worst chain slider I ever seen. Boo Yamaha. 

On 9/5/2018 at 10:40 AM, MT27 said:

What year is your bike?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. It's a '16. I'm the original owner, so it's the stock slider.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sniperelite said:

Just replaced my chain and sprockets. The front sprocket had the same wear as yours, but my chain guide had no weird wear, just split ends. By the looks of it, it's installed incorrectly or faulty guide ? mine runs straight if seen from the back side.

I feel it's faulty. There's no way to install it that would distort it's shape. The material just seems too rubbery to hold it's required shape. Needs mo' stiffer!

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

Jeez, no shet?! Does the dealership know it fell off? That's definitely not normal. I'll be looking at mine before I ride here in about 5 minutes. Thanks for the heads up @shinyribs!

Bought the bike second hand, now it has 45.000 km, it fell due to wear and got stuck between chain and front sprocket! But eventually came off before the wheel locked.

Checked mine and it is straight. I need to get a closer look at the beginning of that ridge (back end) to see if needs chiselling into a slope.

Just do it! 

6 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I feel it's faulty. There's no way to install it that would distort it's shape. The material just seems too rubbery to hold it's required shape. Needs mo' stiffer!

I just wanted to comment on your avatar. I like it and the movie was pretty good. Crazy & different is how I would describe it.

• Like 1

Beemer

4 hours ago, Beemer said:

I just wanted to comment on your avatar. I like it and the movie was pretty good. Crazy & different is how I would describe it.

I loved Tank Girl growing up. Probably a large contributing factor to my smartassery and twisted sense of humor.  The movie wasn't hitting on much, but there could not have been a better Tank Girl than Lori Petty.  The comics were a bit more...vibrant?...than the movie, but it was till fun. P-P-P-Pow!

The avatar is a patch you can buy. A buddy on another forum  bought a couple for his throwovers, and once I saw them I had to have a pair of my own. :D 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I loved Tank Girl growing up. Probably a large contributing factor to my smartassery and twisted sense of humor.  The movie wasn't hitting on much, but there could not have been a better Tank Girl than Lori Petty.  The comics were a bit more...vibrant?...than the movie, but it was till fun. P-P-P-Pow!

The avatar is a patch you can buy. A buddy on another forum  bought a couple for his throwovers, and once I saw them I had to have a pair of my own. :D 

I feel the same way and a big yes on Lori Petty. There's something about a sassy tomboy. 🔥 😍

Beemer

21 hours ago, godoy.rafa said:

Bought the bike second hand, now it has 45.000 km, it fell due to wear and got stuck between chain and front sprocket! But eventually came off before the wheel locked.

Yamaha is known for chewing up the road and spitting it out but not chain guards. You're lucky!

• Like 1

Beemer

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if all this chain cleaning is softening the rubber. Mine is stiff and straight, I only relube my chain with the Dupont lube, never clean it.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

I just checked, my chain guide is soft and flexible. Inspecting my chain i can see the inside of the inboard links is worn like its been rubbing the sprocket. Thats gotta be the source of the wierd swish noise my chain makes. Ill need to trim my guide as well. 

Im wondering what kind of chain oil people are using. Maybe certain lubes are softening the material. Ive been using motul chain oil. Im tempted to buy a new guide (its like 15 bucks shipped) and switch chain oil. Ive only got 5400 miles on my bike. I dont think i should have wierd chain wear this early. 

Ok its official. I just washed my bike and went to my normal chain maintenance( every 3rd or 4th sunday) and examined my chain guide closer. @shinyribs you nailed it bro. The guide was pushing the chain outboard, consistent with the wear i have. I removed the guide and trimmed the crooked center rib( which had a witness mark just like yours did) then re-installed it. Went for a test drive with my old modular lid so i could hear and guess what??? It sounded like a regular motorcycle chain!!! No more wierd buzzy swishy noise. Thanks for taking the time to post. And good eye man! Hopefully this thread will help some others. Im gonna order a new guide and keep an eye on the old one. I couldnt find an afternarket solution online. 

• Like 2