The MT-07 Forum

American Made MOTUS, Shut down operations

r1limited

https://www.citybike.com/news-clues-rumors/motus-motorcycles-shutting-down-effective-immediately/

I always wanted to test ride one, sad to see a bike built like this go down the drain.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

thats a bit of a bummer, always wanted to test drive one or see one in person...

maybe they can team up with EBR??

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

image.thumb.png.901d3dadf4585749284566e0238386c4.png

This is truly a sad day.  If you want to know what a masterpiece the motus engine is, take a look at the dyno charts. 

The motus has a 1650cc 101 c.i. engine and makes 165 hp and 123 ft lbs of torque, vs a 1750cc 107 c.i. harley milwaukee eight engine which makes 76.5 hp and 97.7 ft lbs of torque. 

MV4andMV4R-Dyno-Charts.png

https://www.cycleworld.com/2017-harley-davidson-road-glide-ultra-touring-motorcycle-review-dyno-test

Why are we comparing a Vtwin engine designed for long distance touring to a V4 engine designed for performance? And the V4 revs nearly twice as high.

That's kinda like comparing our 07's engine to a XR650 thumper. Different tools.

Motus basically just took a Chevrolet LS engine lopped off four cylinders. 

Oh,wait! Everyone always like to talk shet about HD using pushrods. Motus ( Chevy) engines use pushrods too! lol

There's soooo much more to engines than CC's.

https://motusmotorcycles.com/americanv4

@shinyribsis correct no comparison between an over weight V twin and a 4 cylinder of equal displacement.  Most V-twins displacement is much larger then the 3 and 4 counter parts in the same class.

No matter Motus was a pretty cool looking design and bike.  I hope it can rebound, but when the investers look at numbers and returns then decide to pull the plug, something is wrong internally.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

8 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Why are we comparing a Vtwin engine designed for long distance touring to a V4 engine designed for performance? And the V4 revs nearly twice as high.

That's kinda like comparing our 07's engine to a XR650 thumper. Different tools.

Motus basically just took a Chevrolet LS engine lopped off four cylinders. 

Oh,wait! Everyone always like to talk shet about HD using pushrods. Motus ( Chevy) engines use pushrods too! lol

There's soooo much more to engines than CC's.

Agreed but you got me thinking, with all the negative talk about how H.D.'s engines are turds because they don't make good power or torque shouldn't they have switched to using pushrods in a V4 car engine like Motus did. What was stopping them? They liked to be traditional and didn't want to move forward enough in technology is what stopped them so they brought on the negativity themselves. They wanted to keep using their old, antiquated design. If I had a Motus I would wrap it for safe keeping and sell it to the highest bidder 20 or so years later.

Beemer

HD built engines bikes based upon what their customers wanted, and they sold boatloads. HD and their customers hung on to the retro vibe like a pitbull. 

But now people are demanding more, and HD is coming out with new machines with modern engine a chassis designs. 

Their bikes might not be for me, but they obviously try hard to cater to their customers, which is admiralable and why their customer base is so loyal imo. 

HD's customer base is dying off, the old school hard core HD enthusiasts will remain for sure, but like neanderthals they too will eventually die off.  HD has been far to complacent in decades resting on the tech that did bring them to what they are.  There is no innovations, even the XGR750 is a bloated pig compared to other 750 v-twins such as Aprilia Shiver as example.  I give HD all the credit for the new electric, but even there they built a pig trying to stay close to roots.  IMO HD looses as they attempt to hold true to what made the company the greatest motorcycle of all time IMO.  It was Bob Dylan who said "The Times, they are a changin"  HD needs to think more toward the future than rely on the past.

There is nothing wrong catering to a dwindling long distance crowd as the big twins are.  However they need to offer a more urban confined nimbler ride than a cast iron POS

I hear that sentiment regurgitated all over the internet. 

Here's a perspective to consider. Harley never built cruisers. They just built Harley's, whatever that may be. They were so popular with the masses, and they sold so many, that every other bike manufacturer wanted a piece of their pie. So they ripped off the long,low stance paired with a low revving, understressed engine...but they couldn'tjust call their ripoff a Harley- so the cruiser name was born. 

Their customer base may be dwindling cavemen, but every Japanese manufacturer has tried their darndest to earn those customers lol

Who tried to match Harley's formula? Everyone. Including Ducati and BMW. Who succeeded? Nobody, really. 

Who has Harley ever tried to ripoff? Nobody. 

@shinyribs

no doubt there is a clone conspiracy by the metrics to capture hd but, the metrics beat the ship out of hd by making bikes for the mass's bringing in bikes from 50cc up.  "you meet the nicest people on a honda" was a defection of the bad biker culture of the time and the rest is history.  British bikes dominated racing, metrics began to trickle in at club level, and hd still had cast iron over weight pigs for racing.  the legacy of the wr,xr and kr are legendary
HD could not innovate so they used ammerechii for dominance in short Track tt and road racing.  they pulled out in the early 70s due to the lack of innovation to compete in roadracing only to toss in a few times over decades.
The truth is hd no matter what nominclature used then are crusers.

• 2 weeks later...

i love my dyna. it may be big and old technology, but its comfortable for long rides, easy to work on and fun. Hell a phucking vespa is fun. I dont understand the need to knock harleys. When I was younger I would knock them as well, because I was a hardcore sportbiker! As I got older and owned sport bike after sportbike, I realized that pretty much every inline 4 sport bike is the same, they got really boring. Then I bought a beat up sportster to have something different. It was easy to work on and customize, it was a great bike and I sold it for more than double what I had put into it. I bought a ducati 748, nothing like it out there. Great bike, but a pain in the ass when it came to maintaining. After a couple other thumpers I picked up my Dyna. it is a great bike for its purpose. That is why I bought the fz as well. Parallel twin. inline 4's are boring to me....

• 3 weeks later...
firstyammerha

I saw one of these at the Barber Vintage Fest a couple years ago and it's a monster! Two wheel car sticks in my mind.

• Global Moderator
On 9/3/2018 at 8:18 AM, shinyribs said:

True, it's just that not everyone cares about lightweight and racing performance. It's why the sell Corvette's, Kia's and Cadillac's. 

the new kia's arent too bad.... 
stinger looks like a 5yo designed it but is their attack on the BRZ/GT-86, and at 3600lb with a twinturbo v6... it's not a slouch either. 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived