The MT-07 Forum

Straight pipe/custom exhaust

jasonaz1

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFBGft8a3CA] I also have this video of it during a cold start this morning after cleaning it up. 

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Anybody knows the size of the outside diameter to the exhaust pipe that comes after the O2 sensor ?

• 11 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I'm just wondering if running straight pipes like that changes the way the bike runs?

booboobusfz07
I know this is an old thread but I'm just wondering if running straight pipes like that changes the way the bike runs?

Any change to the exhaust or intake will change how the bike runs. The ecu can compensate, so anything will run ok. Youll get best results with a fuel controller of some sort tho.

bbsteinnewyork
Any change to the exhaust or intake will change how the bike runs. The ecu can compensate, so anything will run ok. Youll get best results with a fuel controller of some sort tho.
That's not true. Straight pipes will run like garbage. All the dirt track guys who use this fz07 platform for racing thought that the straight pipes with megaphones where the best because it's what all the old-timers said. Then Yamaha and Graves got together and developed a pipe that made 18 hp more than the best pipe .Now all of the Dt07 racers have shifted to the Graves system.. don't believe me, check it out for yourself and do a search

• Premium Member
I did something a little different I bought the double down exhaust from Toce for the R6 cut the cat off and welded the flange from a stock R6 exhaust on to the collector. Then I installed the double down which has no baffles so it's pretty much straight piped and is super loud but it sounds great except when you decelerate there's a bit of backfiring from the loss of back pressure so I'm going to fabricate a baffle. Actually when I talked to Toce they said there were working on a baffle for the double down so I need to call them and check on that first. Best part about it though is it looks amazing on the bike. Best looking exhaust I've seen in my opinion.

@christrix - Have you finished your Toce exhaust project ? , can you post some pictures of your Toce exhaust and your bike ?
I wanted to do something similar to my FZ07 a while ago but I never got to do it. I would like to see your final results.
  • Like 1

AlbatrossCafe
That's not true. Straight pipes will run like garbage. All the dirt track guys who use this fz07 platform for racing thought that the straight pipes with megaphones where the best because it's what all the old-timers said. Then Yamaha and Graves got together and developed a pipe that made 18 hp more than the best pipe .Now all of the Dt07 racers have shifted to the Graves system.. don't believe me, check it out for yourself and do a search
"18HP more than the best pipe" (which probably already makes several HP more) on the FZ-07? BS. 
For something that is 67HP from the factory, 18HP+ from a pipe would be equivalent to discovering how to travel at light speed.

I did a search. I can't find anything about it. I 100% don't believe you.
http://Graves-Motorsports-Yamaha-DT-07-Full-Exhaust-System.html

In addition to needing a fuel controller, in my opinion it will be insanely loud and you will probably annoy alot of people. More noise does not always = better.

bbsteinnewyork
"18HP more than the best pipe" (which probably already makes several HP more) on the FZ-07? BS. 
For something that is 67HP from the factory, 18HP+ from a pipe would be equivalent to discovering how to travel at light speed.

The Dt07 makes a 100 hp for your reference. You should attend a pro dirt track race and ask the guys racing them. A local team that does dirt track racing did the testing to confirm what the engineers at Yamaha told him. The results where confirmed. The top exhausts systems in dirt track that the tested against where Bub and Ron Wood.

The Dt07 makes a 100 hp for your reference. You should attend a pro dirt track race and ask the guys racing them. A local team that does dirt track racing did the testing to confirm what the engineers at Yamaha told him. The results where confirmed. The top exhausts systems in dirt track that the tested against where Bub and Ron Wood.
Could the lack of EPA restrictions on a racing pipe make an 18 h.p. difference? Are street legal versions of race pipes watered down that much? Any of you guys with racing experience know anything about that? I find this interesting. 

Beemer

AlbatrossCafe

Maybe I am missing something here... isn't it the same FZ-07 engine? How can that go from 67HP to 100HP? And if that is possible, why has no one done it yet for our bikes?

Maybe I am missing something here... isn't it the same FZ-07 engine? How can that go from 67HP to 100HP? And if that is possible, why has no one done it yet for our bikes?
I don't know if this is what bbstein is talking about but Yamaha did have a dirt track concept bike last year at AIMExpo. Haven't heard anything about it since. Either way, that bike was ~90hp with ported cylinder heads and intake stacks, modified/tuned air box with K&N filters, and, yes, a Graves exhaust. 

cycleworld

[a href=http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2015/10/article/yamaha-unveils-dt-07-flat-track-concept/]motoUSA
[/a]
  • Like 1

AlbatrossCafe
I don't know if this is what bbstein is talking about but Yamaha did have a dirt track concept bike last year at AIMExpo. Haven't heard anything about it since. Either way, that bike was ~90hp with ported cylinder heads and intake stacks, modified/tuned air box with K&N filters, and, yes, a Graves exhaust. 

cycleworld

motoUSA

Ah good find, with those additional mods the 90-100hp makes way more sense. I thought bbstein was insinuating graves alone achieved those gains 

bbsteinnewyork

cycleworld

motoUSA

Ah good find, with those additional mods the 90-100hp makes way more sense. I thought bbstein was insinuating graves alone achieved those gains
No not at all. What I was saying is that straight pipes run poorly. All of the top dirt track guys for years had been running non silencer type systems and then Graves and Yamaha developed a pipe that made 18 hp more than the best of the other top level dirt track pipes for the Fz07 platform. I would not have believed that either but the guys from the G & Graves team told me this at a race. I was in disbelief as well. However I spoke with the engineer who was in charge of that project and he confirmed the gains with the Graves exhaust and that every team using the Yamaha engine platform had switched to the Graves

Could the lack of EPA restrictions on a racing pipe make an 18 h.p. difference? Are street legal versions of race pipes watered down that much? Any of you guys with racing experience know anything about that? I find this interesting.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

How did you angle your can off to the side like that? Also is there a bracket you have the exhaust on?

Here is a link to my carbon akropovic can from a 636 welded to my stock headers. Sounds awesome!20151129_002422_zps88ui0gcx.jpg

How did you get your can off to the side like that and how is it being held up?

• 2 years later...

Hi, were you able to find a baffle for TOCE double down?

I have a yamaha R6 with MJS mid pipe with Toce double down and it is obnoxiously loud and looking for a baffle insert/db killer. any help is appreciated