The MT-07 Forum

Straight pipe/custom exhaust

jasonaz1

Just curious has anyone cut the cat/muffler off and welded in a turn down pipe?Just curious has to how extremely loud/awesome it is hahahaha

or anyone start the bike up while doing the m4 exhaust and see how loud it was with video?(cause you have to cut the cat off the header to do the m4)

• Premium Member

Judging from how loud the M4 is, a straight pipe would be straight torture for the rider and everyone within a 50 mile radius.

• Like 2

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

It is ridiculously loud I cut the exhaust and just welded a pipe on there and have rode it 3 days but have now put it away in garage until I purchase an exhaust

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
jonskelton10

I know this is an old thread but have a question would it be tolerable if you left the cat in with straight pipe? Maybe make a baffle for it

• Premium Member

Seems like it would basically be a slip on then.

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

Hmm, maybe its time to just take the yoshi muffler off and run w/o it :)

That sounds beastly

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

jonskelton10

Thats what I'm thinking for a lot cheaper too and u can make if look exactly how u want. The exhaust that look good are pretty pricey I found someone who will do a custom one that will keep cat and have the bend like the akropovic and slash cut exit pipe for $200

• Premium Member

I think idling it will be reasonable, but it will still be outright loud on the throttle.

Without the baffle, my delkevic slip on makes my inner ear tingle at wide open throttle. Not too bad with the baffle.

Everything went braap.

• 5 weeks later...

I did something a little different I bought the double down exhaust from Toce for the R6 cut the cat off and welded the flange from a stock R6 exhaust on to the collector. Then I installed the double down which has no baffles so it's pretty much straight piped and is super loud but it sounds great except when you decelerate there's a bit of backfiring from the loss of back pressure so I'm going to fabricate a baffle. Actually when I talked to Toce they said there were working on a baffle for the double down so I need to call them and check on that first. Best part about it though is it looks amazing on the bike. Best looking exhaust I've seen in my opinion.

With my Aprocovic pipe the whole town thinks I'm some heathen. They hear me rollin' and they sneer, I wave, they smile and wave back. They're coming around.

Beemer

• Global Moderator
I did something a little different I bought the double down exhaust from Toce for the R6 cut the cat off and welded the flange from a stock R6 exhaust on to the collector. Then I installed the double down which has no baffles so it's pretty much straight piped and is super loud but it sounds great except when you decelerate there's a bit of backfiring from the loss of back pressure so I'm going to fabricate a baffle. Actually when I talked to Toce they said there were working on a baffle for the double down so I need to call them and check on that first. Best part about it though is it looks amazing on the bike. Best looking exhaust I've seen in my opinion.
You cannot say you have the best looking exhaust and not post a photo. That is not fair :)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
I was thinking of doing something similar, would you mind posting a picture of the exhaust on the bike?! 

• Premium Member
I have no issue posting pic just don't know how lol

You have to donate to this site and become a premium member to post a pic straight from your computer to this site. Otherwise you can upload to imgur and use a link.

What was the sizing on the piping if anyone knows? I would like to retro fit an older slip on to the bike if I can figure out the piping before hacking into it.

I'll be sure to post pictures once I have it done though :D

I went ahead and actually did this today. I had an old Erion Racing pipe laying around.

I cut it down to make a stubby pipe around the same size of the cat/pipe section. We repacked the muffler which is straight through.

It took some welding, but the bike now sounds like nothing else on the street!

I went ahead and actually did this today. I had an old Erion Racing pipe laying around.  
I cut it down to make a stubby pipe around the same size of the cat/pipe section. We repacked the muffler which is straight through.

Pics and vid @jayrex or it didnt happen!

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

Pics and vid @jayrex or it didnt happen!
I'll be sure to get it up tonight once I'm off work. Probably won't be the best recording since it will be on my phone.

hXoKsN2.jpg

ljbZm4s.jpg

Here are some quick shots of the work on the pipe. We had to do some welding to get it done right, but sounds way better. Total investment was $70 for this exhaust install :D
  • Like 1