The MT-07 Forum

Dont Wear gear, it's too expensive!

Cruizin

Manuel, what brand & model of mesh jacket do you have?  
It has chest armor in it? Don't recall seeing that in a mesh jacket.
It is an Alpinestars Viper Air. By default it comes with soft pads, but they can be replaced by their "Bionic" pads, that are also perforated for air flow. It also comes with a liner (not quilted) that could help with the rain - not a full waterproof solution, but a good compromise - or if the wind becomes a problem. I really like it.
I have a Fulmer Mesh jacket, the Firetack...both it and the Venom are in this article. Mine like Manuel's is breathable with replaceable pads...mine is crash tested and I got no road rash. The air flow in the Fulmer is top notch on hot days i wear it, and a cool shirt under my t-shirt and am not near as hot as the hot humid summers here in the South can be 

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-motorcycle-gear/summer-motorcycle-jacket-zmmz12mjzbea.aspx#axzz37YsYkT8K

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

People overlook Pants/Jeans too. Almost all Kevlar jeans out now have inserts with Knee/hip pads that are removable. Take them out when you're not riding and they look like normal jeans. I knew gear was expensive so I bought all my gear before my bike.

im a new rider. I have a full face , gloves, jacket w/armor and I bought a Kevlar jean pant. I was surprised it didn't have any pockets for hip or knee pads? what should I do , I see the have shorts I can buy with hip and tail pads but what do I do about my knees?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Gear is downright cheap when you compare it to the cost of an ambulance ride and emergency room treatment.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator
Gear is downright cheap when you compare it to the cost of an ambulance ride and emergency room treatment.
Not in Canada lol.  

That's why you have to vote for me !!   ;)

I dont get not wearing it to look cool i think riding gear looks sweet i love seeing how people put there gear togethor all the different visors helmets everything theres so many ways to be unique adds a little mystery to yourself too

Helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, jeans. In that order of importance lol.

full face helmet, leather gloves, long sleeve motorcycle jacket. 

Greatness

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

For anyone on the fence, I was a little self conscious about upgrading from a half helmet to a full face. Not only has it saved my face from multiple pebbles and giant bugs, but I have never once had anyone give me flack about wearing a full faced helmet. Plus, I'd much rather keep my face where it is rather than smeared on the pavement.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

I went down in jeans once. Spent an hour in the shower drinking tequila and scrubbing gravel out of my knee. Got off easy compared to many.

I went down in jeans once. Spent an hour in the shower drinking tequila and scrubbing gravel out of my knee. Got off easy compared to many.
You can get a decent pair of riding jeans from Cycle Gear, I wear their ironworker Jeans, comfortable, have pads in them and kevlar

the jeans I bought don't have pockets for knee pads, but it does have Kevlar in knees and a$$.
I wish I knew when I bought them. I was looking at knee pads that strap on your leg on ebay there cheap but don't know if there safe for the street.

You can get a decent pair of riding jeans from Cycle Gear, I wear their ironworker Jeans, comfortable, have pads in them and kevlar
good tip! I didn't even know of the chain. They got a shop in Springfield near me. I bought the cargo pants. Looking at the predator jacket and leather pants too.
Anybody ride in full leather 1 piece off the track?

• 4 weeks later...
aircraftelectrician

On October 1st, 2007 I t-boned an SUV that ran a stop sign and crossed the highway in front of me. I was going 50mph. I went head first through her passenger side window. The impact ripped the visor off my helmet, and the helmet was filled with shards of shattered glass. The window shredded the shoulders of my leather jacket as I shattered through it, but the jacket protected my skin. The impact broke both my wrists as my body weight bent the handlebars forward.

Even with a full face helmet, I was unconscious for almost 20 hours and wound up with a massive concussion, bruises on my brain and about 135 stitches in my face. The impact collapsed 3 discs in my neck. Seven years later, my short term memory sucks, and I still have no memory of the accident or the 20 minutes prior to the accident, I have limited motion in my right wrist and still have electric shock feelings in my arms from the crushed discs, but I'm thankful that I'm still alive.

I know it's a long post, but the moral of the story is a helmet and leather jacket saved my life. I NEVER ride without a helmet, jacket, gloves, boots and jeans. Because the lady I hit said she never saw me I also ride with a high-visibility construction worker's vest over my jacket.

ATGATT-A helmet saved my life on 10-01-07!

the jeans I bought don't have pockets for knee pads, but it does have Kevlar in knees and a$$. I wish I knew when I bought them. I was looking at knee pads that strap on your leg on ebay there cheap but don't know if there safe for the street.
I know @motomeek says she uses pads like that..... Fox brand I think

yoloswaggins

I commute with a full face helmet, gloves, and a jacket. Jeans arent good enough. Pants are the most overlooked safety gear you need. I was on my way to work last week and a cager pulled out infront of me. I was only going about 30 but I didnt have enough room to react. I swerved right and hit thes car with the front end and my left knee. Ended up with a huge avulsion, the skin split and you could see everything down to the bone. Would proper riding pants with knee protection have kept it from busting open? I dont know. But I can guarrantee it would have helped a lot. Moral of the story is dont overlook the pants. Jeans are not much better than shorts.

I can tell you from personal experience that the typical blue jeans will shred like tissue paper in a slide, and you'll feel every inch of it.

yoloswaggins
I can tell you from person experience that the typical blue jeans will shred like tissue paper in a slide, and you'll feel every inch of it.
yessir and they offer no impact protection. Yet people feel safe when they're decked out with a good helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots, and only wear jeans.

I commute with a full face helmet, gloves, and a jacket. Jeans arent good enough. Pants are the most overlooked safety gear you need. I was on my way to work last week and a cager pulled out infront of me. I was only going about 30 but I didnt have enough room to react. I swerved right and hit thes car with the front end and my left knee. Ended up with a huge avulsion, the skin split and you could see everything down to the bone. Would proper riding pants with knee protection have kept it from busting open? I dont know. But I can guarrantee it would have helped a lot. Moral of the story is dont overlook the pants. Jeans are not much better than shorts.
You are right .. I wear all the gear except for pants.  I commute to work pretty often so that is my vulnerable spot .. will need to re-think this.  

I've been looking for some riding pants. I've got a good helmet, gloves, and a dual sport Klim jacket. I've been looking at the dual sport Klim pants on bike bandit too..which are the textile type.
Do they make riding jeans that work ? Any suggestions would be awesome. .thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I always wear the helmet, gloves, shoes and my jacket. I don't always wear my pants with kneepads. They are leather and since I use the bike to go to school or tennis, it would be very uncomfortable to change my pants all the time. What do you think?

Also my jacket doesn't have integrated spine pad or how do you call it (i am not a native speaker, sorry). Do you think that's a big issue? Could I use my "spine pad" that I use for skiing?

EDIT: I see that pants have been discussed but I am still not sure what to make out of it. I can't sit at school with my leather pants with knee pads

Sir LightYear

@sirlightyear check out these Rhok Kevlar Jeans

I've been following some motovloggers that swear by these pants. obviously not as good as leathers but they look ok for short commutes and the knee pads come out making it ok for wearing while off the bike. and the kevlar lining should have good road rash protection up to a certain speed and duration of sliding of course.

Archived