The MT-07 Forum

Dont Wear gear, it's too expensive!

Cruizin

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Global Moderator

I was expecting a very bloody video, but I clicked on it anyway.
Maybe a donor codicil should be mandatory for for bike riders.

• Global Moderator

Good video. Even though I am sure he stopped riding as soon as he was off camera it still made me cringe to watch him ride off. I am amazed how many people I see riding in t-shirts and running shoes.

• Global Moderator

Sorry to hear that happened to you, but thanks for sharing. I hope everyone here is safety conscious, but perhaps someone thinking of riding in light clothing will see your post and think twice.

Thanks for posting the video, a few hours late to send to my nephew who had the misfortune of striking a deer on his bike today at approx. 60mph! He'll be fine after some healing time-damn lucky as he wasn't wearing a helmet or other protective gear to speak of.

Seeing him in the ER with the road rash definately got to me, and I think he knew what I was thinking as I have mentioned the importance of riding gear to him on several occasions. You know, young guy, it'll never happen to me attitude. This may change his tune.

Haven't seen his bike yet, assuming it's totaled.

Just makes ya wonder if that Mesh gear will do any good if ya wreck. I have noticed that Rossi and the boys dont wear any mesh gear when they are racing, they wear leather and pads, And they have no stop lights and cars to worry about, no semi's, deer or minivans either.

Guest ybcheese

Great video, gear is so important. Now that I am older with kids; its a constant reminder to wear proper gear, especially a helmet. I can't believe that the majority of riders I see don't even wear a helmet. I seen a guy this morning; wearing nothing more than shorts, flip-flops and sunglasses. He was just sitting at a red light in neutral with his hands off the bars.

• Global Moderator

I see these idiots too, although a helmet is mandatory where I live. Especially guys on cruisers seem to be more interested in fashion then protection. I think that a lot of people choose this hobby not for the thrill, the tech or even the fun. They want to be part of a group and like to express that by wearing whatever is needed to show the world that they are part of it. And of course they want to look cool. Even if it means compromising safety.

I have to admit that I do not drive in full gear and body armour. I never did and probably never will. But I never leave the house without a motorcycle jacket, good gloves, and decent boots/shoes.
A of course helmet is essential because without it you will basically die if something happens. I replace mine every couple of years and spend a decent amount of money on it. A lot of people here are wearing helmets that don't fit, are old and worn with visors that are impossible to look through.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4rfUVpYozk]

Here's a great and sobering video from a great YouTuber called Nutnfancy.  He has some great life philosophy videos such as "Dangerous Things" and "Lessons of My Father: 'Depussification.'" He also has great hiking and motorcycle adventure videos that are great to watch when I can't get out and enjoy the world.  Anywho,, as a new rider, I'm definitely going to be using the proper gear; yes, it's expensive, but I'd rather not crack my tib/fib or endure months of road rash healing!

- Alex

One quote that I think fits well here is "Sweat washes off!"

In Wisconsin helmet use is optional but I choose to wear one 99% of the time, if I run a mile into town on an errand may not wear it, otherwise I put on the helmet, gloves and either a riding jacket-either a full textile or mesh.

Mesh may not be as safe as leather or a non-mesh textile but heck of a lot better than a t-shirt.

After seeing the skin damage (road rash) of my nephew, reaffirmed the value of protective gear.
(Picked up his bike from the towing shop today, looks like it's totaled.)

Ride safe everyone!

True, the leather is the best as it provides the best abrasion protection. Used alone, it offers very little impact protection though. I have a mesh jacket that came with thick elbow, chest and back pads and it seems quite solid. And it feels great to get the air circulating when riding on those hot, humid days.
As Guru mentioned, helmet is mandatory around here. But I also never ride without my jacket, boots and gloves. Thing is, it would probably feel weird if I did, since this is the way I've been doing it all along. And I don't feel restricted or impaired in any way. You just adapt to it, as the benefits are clear and unquestionable.

Manuel, what brand & model of mesh jacket do you have?

It has chest armor in it? Don't recall seeing that in a mesh jacket.

Great video, I actually totaled my bike last Sunday. A cager pulled out in front of me as I was going about 60mph. I wear full gear, helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, and riding jeans. I endoed over the trunk and landed in the highway. I hit head first, scraped the helmet up pretty bad, then whiplashed onto the pavement on my back. My gear I have NO DOUBT saved my my life, I came away sore, with a minor concussion. I posted this on a cruiser forum and got flamed by several people saying I should not try and force people to wear gear as it was luck that I survived.

From one rider to another...PLEASE WEAR GEAR. I will be okay, will get a new bike(looking at FZ07, or CBR650F) but I can tell you the people that witnessed it, and my insurance company all sounded STUNNED that I was talking to them.

• Global Moderator

Hi thestache! Welcome.

Good to see you here in one piece. Glad you're okay. Go's to show that good gear is essential. Thanks for sharing.

Hi thestache! Welcome. 
Good to see you here in one piece. Glad you're okay. Go's to show that good gear is essential. Thanks for sharing.

TY Guru

Hi thestache! Welcome. 

X2!!

Guest brickst3r

Welcome to the forum and glad you're okay. Thank god for gear, I always Cringe when I see people only wearing a Tshirt and some shorts. Even saw some guy wear flip flops. I'm going to definitely wear full gear all the time.

• Premium Member

ATG ATT All the Gear All the Time

Don't know what it is about:
-cruisers that think they are invincible always seems to be t shirts
- bucket helmets that don't protect chin and jaw bone.
-flip flops on bikes like what do they expect their feet to look like after an accident??

Guest brickst3r

I will never wear a half helmet because i have seen very disturbing pictures of people after an accident. I will never get that picture out of my head when it comes to motorcycles. Also i don't get why certain states allow no helmets, that's just dumb because you're almost guarantee to die without it. Even if you're lucky enough to survive you probably won't look very pretty anymore.

Guest montana07

In Montana I'd say the majority of people don't wear helmets, it shocks me. Darwinism at work I guess?

In my youngblood time, i used to ride with shorts and t-shirt. A friend of mine was killed in a bike crash. Sold the the bike 2 weeks later. One year bikeless, i was getting nut. ??? Bought a small bike to check if the fun could come back. It did.

Since then, 99,9% of time i always wear a bike's jacket, gloves and shoes or boots. Helmet is mandatory here in Canada. I wouldn't ride without a helmet on the streets. When i have a passenger, she must wear protective gear as well. It's not negotiable. In 2004, i lost my SV650S at the exit of a turn on a track. I was wearing all leather gear (naturally, it was a track day). I slipped on the paved road. Some scratches on the helmet, pant and gloves. But that was it for me, no injuries. I could return on the bike, but some important pieces were missing. lol.

Proper gear cost a lot. But the value of my body is much more. Anyway, who said that biking is a cheap way of life?

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

It is an Alpinestars Viper Air. By default it comes with soft pads, but they can be replaced by their "Bionic" pads, that are also perforated for air flow. It also comes with a liner (not quilted) that could help with the rain - not a full waterproof solution, but a good compromise - or if the wind becomes a problem. I really like it.

It is an Alpinestars Viper Air. By default it comes with soft pads, but they can be replaced by their "Bionic" pads, that are also perforated for air flow. It also comes with a liner (not quilted) that could help with the rain - not a full waterproof solution, but a good compromise - or if the wind becomes a problem. I really like it.
Thanks!  I'll have to check it out.

As a new rider, I took the time to read this entire article:

http://miles-by-motorcycle.com/fv-b-6-625/on-riding-well--so-you-want-to-learn-how-to-ride-a-motorcycle-

I am impressed by the depth of the information on that page. Sobering really.

Also watched the Brittany Morrow video -

I think I will keep wearing my full-face helmet for now. And look for armoured riding pants....

Archived