The MT-07 Forum

Oil level problems

phanomenal07

1 hour ago, phanomenal07 said:

I am currently using amsoil 10w40 

me too. Don't think brand should matter as long as it's the proper vis and not car oil. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a generation 1 FZ1.[yes the bumble bee] . I also used Amsoil 10/40 after dumping my Break-in oil, and shortly

after noticed I was using way too much oil. After much research from that point on to 25,000 miles I used Rotella dino oil 20/50.  It is what the majority of the members of the FZ1oa group use. My oil consumption dropped to about a third of what the Amsoil was using

Once,, well, ok all the time, my bultacos would smoke real bad cuz the oil was getting in the gas, I had to lay it on it side running with the throttle pinned to clear out the plug. 

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

These bikes are weird on oil level. When I first got mine is seemed to be using oil pretty bad, then it just stopped. Now it's making oil. Fill it (correctly) to the top line on sight glass, go for a ride, now the level is plumb above the sight glass. I dunno. After 10k miles I just check that it's not empty and roll on. 

Well the guy told me that sometimes it happen and then stop. 

Im waiting to see if riding it  In cooler weather make it stop. I only got to ride my bike in 90+ degree weather this summer and it’s only been happening since it got hot. 

So if it stops which I hope it does I’ll switch to a different oil next summer

Sell it and make it someone elses problem

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived