The MT-07 Forum

Budget minded seat alternatives.

atxjax

I bought a Saddlemen gel pad (large size)a few months after buying the 07. I used this pad for a very short time. The pad stayed in a closet for the last 3 years. Gradually, the stock seat feel less as a pain. But i didn't ride long distances.

I used it a few days ago for a 5 hours trip. The samed trip i've done two weeks ago without this pad. I just love the way it makes rhe seat higher. I felt more comfortable with my knees less bent. It also help for a better distribution of pressure points. I ride non stop for a full tank without discomfort. No need to use the straps.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/31/2018 at 6:35 AM, rick said:

I like the cover on the Seat Concepts and still use it. But the foam's shape left me feeling like I was sitting in a hole and the edges of that hole put painful pressure on the backs of my legs. I filled the hole with liquid rubber. That left the seat nice and flat, but hard like a rock. So I added more foam over top. That helped, but the seat is still not all that comfortable. 

In the end, if you sit more forward than back, the narrow nose shape - designed to make it easier to reach the ground, something not necessary in this 5'5" person's humble opinion)  is gonna cause pain. 

Considering the universal dislike of this saddle, Yamaha really goofed and tried to fix it for 2018 by getting rid of those edges near the front. If that worked, it might be better to change tank panels and try to retrofit the 2018 saddle. 

ASTech seat mod had the same effect with me.  The gel insert was great, except the hole has an edge which results in pain at the undersides of my legs.  I made a 1/2 foam pad cut in to a triangle shaps to cover the edge.  It's not the best option, but right now, it's enough improvement to make riding for an hour enjoyable instead of miserable.

The seat saga continues. I bought some material in both the slip stop and carbon fiber vinyl. My plan is is make my own seat cover. I also purchased a heavy duty sewing machine that is rated for leather and heavy denim. I will post to this thread as I go to do the work.

8 hours ago, atxjax said:

The seat saga continues. I bought some material in both the slip stop and carbon fiber vinyl. My plan is is make my own seat cover. I also purchased a heavy duty sewing machine that is rated for leather and heavy denim. I will post to this thread as I go to do the work.

Thats the way to do it imo. I think I would try out just the foam before making the cover.  I like the idea of leather. 

Just do it! 

So this is the material I got.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/253596579950-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Plus some sls-1920 slip stop vinyl that is meant more for dirtbikes. My plan is to make the carbon fiber sides ans slip stop on top. Im going for a seat like this one. What I am not sure about is if I should just stick to black stitching or do silver.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b520/mearspaul/cherribomb0023-Copy_zps22e016d0.jpg

Started playing around with my  machine. Sewed some carbon fiber look vinyl to get the stitching just right. Im going for the factory seat upgrade look but in a gripper top, carbon fiber sides with the dark silver stiching as the picture below.

I might make two of them. Maybe ask someone here to review it for me. Then make more if folks are interested.

IMG_20180919_185828[1].jpg

seatfz.jpg

My posterior must be different because I think the FZ-07 seat is as good as the stocker on any bike that I have owned (31 I think). The most miles in one day so far 525 and I was fine until over 400.

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, pegasus46 said:

My posterior must be different because I think the FZ-07 seat is as good as the stocker on any bike that I have owned (31 I think). The most miles in one day so far 525 and I was fine until over 400.

You must have a ….ummm…. errr…. "very unique" posterior.  😁

I'm jealous.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Planning on getting started on this maybe tomorrow afternoon. Looks like rain rest of week so that buys me some forced down time on the bike. I have to also wait on some UV resistant thread I bough ton amazon because the local Joanns didnt have anything.

I screwed up and seat came out too narrow. I only compensated 1/4 inch for the seams but I needed to compensate 1/2 inch plus another 1/4 for the single french seam. Will be attempting again.

IMG_20180925_215420.jpg

Big fat fail on this project. When I ironed out the old seat it shrunk and the top came out short. I didn't feel like screwing around with it anymore so I just make the entire seat out of the gripper material.  

Still haven't stapled it on yet as you really need two people to work the material in and staple it down. That and heat will be needed to shape the rounded contours.

Will take pics of end result and post here. Ohh well. At least my wife got aa cool sewing machine out of it. lol 

As promised here is what I wound up settling for. I wanted to get it done asap so just used the gripper vinyl. Later on I will buy a used seat on fleabay and make a two toned cover. Keep it or maybe sell it.

Getting that curved piece to stretch on is a chore. I had to get my wife to help  me while I stapled it. Bike is sitting out in the sun so the vinyl can finish stretching out a bit and mold to the seat.

Overall I'm happy. If needed to can do again now that we have a good heavy duty machine.

rightbike.jpg

leftbike.jpg

right.jpg

left.jpg

back.jpg

I bought this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Air-Seat-Cushion-like-brand-names-BUT-durable-2xs-thick-Poly-insert/292575818288?hash=item441ee0b230:g:D0AAAOSw7m9bBbB3:sc:USPSPriority!31793!US!-1

This is much better than the stock seat. Not perfect but way better. I do not have a sliding around problem with it.

Just a quick update. Rode today for the first time since putting seat cover on with the slip stop vinyl. No sliding on braking or shifting. Just now have to get used to a little resistance when putting leg down at a stop as the vinyl grips that too. Overall happy.

• Global Moderator
On 9/27/2018 at 4:00 AM, atxjax said:

Big fat fail on this project. When I ironed out the old seat it shrunk and the top came out short. I didn't feel like screwing around with it anymore so I just make the entire seat out of the gripper material.  

Still haven't stapled it on yet as you really need two people to work the material in and staple it down. That and heat will be needed to shape the rounded contours.

Will take pics of end result and post here. Ohh well. At least my wife got aa cool sewing machine out of it. lol 

what machine did you end up getting her?
im in the market for a new one too....

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Older singer machine that punches through leather and vinyl. It's not a industrial machine by far but gets job done.

4aa138eceea5ebdba8deaedb92984d385a5a3d83-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I added a gel insert in my seat.  Paid under 20 for the hell off eBay and 5 for some thin foam for on top and it was about 2 hours of work.  Reused my existing cover, just new staples and good to go. Was pretty easy once I used a sharp knife to cut out the foam.  Seat is much more comfortable then before, looks good as well.  Have a couple pictures of the process.  Overall good budget update that's not too hard.  Also didn't remove the full cover, left the staples in the front on to make it go back exactly in the right place, just peeled it back.

IMG_20180729_151407255.jpg

Well done. That will improve things. I did not find it easy to cut the foam away when I did it on another bike. In the end I found that extra foam was as important for me as the gel pad.

Just do it! 

I watched a bunch of YouTube's that helped, used a grid pattern and ended up during the gel perfectly. Here's a couple more images for others if it helps.

rps20181011_202621.jpg

rps20181011_202519.jpg

• Global Moderator

Decided to follow suit

On 10/3/2018 at 5:30 AM, atxjax said:

Just a quick update. Rode today for the first time since putting seat cover on with the slip stop vinyl. No sliding on braking or shifting. Just now have to get used to a little resistance when putting leg down at a stop as the vinyl grips that too. Overall happy.

Found an upholstery supply shop around the corner. Carried the same fabric you linked.  Decided to try with the rear seat first. 

About 2 hours of carving and gluing foam... And another 1/2 hour of being high off contact cement fumes. 

And it turned out. ... Ok? Ish?

It's a bit wonky and I should have sewed a dart instead of just folding it...  But I might redo it again

IMG_20181013_090510.jpg

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

On 10/11/2018 at 5:06 PM, Flutterball said:

Guys I added a gel insert in my seat.  Paid under 20 for the hell off eBay and 5 for some thin foam for on top and it was about 2 hours of work.  Reused my existing cover, just new staples and good to go. Was pretty easy once I used a sharp knife to cut out the foam.  Seat is much more comfortable then before, looks good as well.  Have a couple pictures of the process.  Overall good budget update that's not too hard.  Also didn't remove the full cover, left the staples in the front on to make it go back exactly in the right place, just peeled it back.

IMG_20180729_151407255.jpg

Nice. I was on the fence about buying the same gel insert I saw on ebay also.  Maybe on the next seat I make will do this. Let us know how it turns out after a few weeks of using it.

4 hours ago, sorkyah said:

IMG_20181013_090501.jpg

Secret to getting it to come out wrinkle free is a bit of heat and having another set of hands to help stretch it while your able to staple it. 

4 hours ago, atxjax said:

Nice. I was on the fence about buying the same gel insert I saw on ebay also.  Maybe on the next seat I make will do this. Let us know how it turns out after a few weeks of using it.

I added the gel back in June, been using it  everyday since then on my daily work commute. Nice upgrade to the old hard seat but still for my very long trips (8+hours straight) I still use my air Hawk, got it and it is perfect, just not for daily use since its a pain taking it off and on. Always afraid someone will steal it if I don't take it off, no worry about the integrated gel.

Archived