Jump to content
atxjax

Budget minded seat alternatives.

Recommended Posts

atxjax

Lets face it. The stock seat sucks. I find myself slipping forward on it. Which throws my view of the mirrors off and make me ride uncomfortably.

 

I don;t really want to spend $250 + on a new seat. What alternatives are you guys using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlbatrossCafe

I'll admit I have never used (I am tall and slide my but all the way to the back of the FZ seat) but you could just do a seat topper. Price runs from $50-$120 from what I've seen.

 

E.g. something like:

 

81YOQYhGgKL._SX425_.jpg

 

71MR2HHBMhL._SL1200_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topazsparrow

Seat toppers unfortunately won't help with the sliding around. It'll probably make it worse if anything.

 

I bet you could get it re-upholstered pretty cheap locally.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mcbrien

Astech seats will install a gel insert for around $100.00 or so. Excellent turn around and service.

With mine when you 1st sit down it feels a little funky. Within 10 minuets a pocket forms and all

is good for 200 mile ride. There's no moving or sliding around. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atxjax
32 minutes ago, mcbrien said:

Astech seats will install a gel insert for around $100.00 or so. Excellent turn around and service.

With mine when you 1st sit down it feels a little funky. Within 10 minuets a pocket forms and all

is good for 200 mile ride. There's no moving or sliding around. 

Found it but their website says $169

Edited by atxjax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mcbrien

$169 is probably a better seat 😀 I bought mine last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atxjax
1 hour ago, mcbrien said:

$169 is probably a better seat 😀 I bought mine last year.

$169 is to re-do the foam with the gel and foam layers they use. They put the stock seat cover back on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atxjax

Yesterday i went to a local upholstery shop about 2 miles from my  house. They had a good selection of available material and such. Also had some marine grade non slip vinyl.

 

Inquiring about the cost left me stupified. $190 to re-cover my seat. I just politely said " OK, I gotta ride my bike tomorrow so I can possibly drop it off next week ".

 

I guess I'm going to find another place to take it to or just bite the bullet and buy the seat concepts one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rick

I like the cover on the Seat Concepts and still use it. But the foam's shape left me feeling like I was sitting in a hole and the edges of that hole put painful pressure on the backs of my legs. I filled the hole with liquid rubber. That left the seat nice and flat, but hard like a rock. So I added more foam over top. That helped, but the seat is still not all that comfortable. 

 

In the end, if you sit more forward than back, the narrow nose shape - designed to make it easier to reach the ground, something not necessary in this 5'5" person's humble opinion)  is gonna cause pain. 

 

Considering the universal dislike of this saddle, Yamaha really goofed and tried to fix it for 2018 by getting rid of those edges near the front. If that worked, it might be better to change tank panels and try to retrofit the 2018 saddle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atxjax

Well. Looking ove rmy options I think I am going to buy a gel pad and modify the seat area myself. I have access to a electric hot knife used to cut foam. Then buy some slip - not fabric and do this  myself.  I

 

t's not all that hard. Just the two back bolt covers have to be sewn but I can take that to a alterations shop around the corner from me that specializes in fixing leather jackets. if they can sew leather then they can sew vinyl.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer
21 hours ago, atxjax said:

$169 is to re-do the foam with the gel and foam layers they use. They put the stock seat cover back on. 

That's correct and you get the best material for comfort in the business. Are you aware that the honeycomb design of that gel relieves pressure on the tail bone, gets rid of pressure points and increases blood flow? That's something no solid foam can deliver. It's no wonder people still complain about their good looking, upgraded seats, it's because the companies making them are replacing the foam with foam. What you sometimes get is a good looking seat that isn't any more or barely more comfortable than the stock seat.

It's just food for thought, good luck with whatever you choose. ✌️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atxjax
10 minutes ago, Beemer said:

That's correct and you get the best material for comfort in the business. Are you aware that the honeycomb design of that gel relieves pressure on the tail bone, gets rid of pressure points and increases blood flow? That's something no solid foam can deliver. It's no wonder people still complain about their good looking, upgraded seats, it's because the companies making them are replacing the foam with foam. What you sometimes get is a good looking seat that isn't any more or barely more comfortable than the stock seat.

It's just food for thought, good luck with whatever you choose. ✌️

I agree 100% with you. For me its not the comfy aspect of the seat. My chief complaint is sliding upon braking. That what I want to address from getting a new seat cover installed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
robbo10

No-one likes my solution that does work but does not look fabulous, but it might be worth repeating here. It is a saddle shaped pad made of three 10mm sheets of neoprene foam from ebay. About £25 (UK). The neoprene sheet cover would be better in non-slip something. I have just made one for another bike and tried it today. All good.

In this thread:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FZ07R WaNaB
1 hour ago, rick said:

Yamaha really goofed and tried to fix it for 2018 by getting rid of those edges near the front. If that worked, it might be better to change tank panels and try to retrofit the 2018 saddle.  

IMO it did not work. More specifically if you are vetically challenged as I am, the new saddle is wider and bows your legs outwardly making the realistic seat height higher than the 2015-2017 saddles. Absolutely doesn't work for me as the original saddle was just on the edge of being too tall for me. The good news for me is that I'm one of the few that actually likes the stock saddle, and never once thought about changing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer
14 minutes ago, atxjax said:

I agree 100% with you. For me its not the comfy aspect of the seat. My chief complaint is sliding upon braking. That what I want to address from getting a new seat cover installed.

 

Sorry, I saw seat alternatives and didn't focus on the rest of what you had to say. I'm not familiar with non slip covers so I can't be of much help. I would only know to google and compare. GL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atxjax

Just purchased a yard of slip stop vynil. part # SLS-1920. Cost was ~$27.

 

I'm not 100% convinced yet to add the Gel padding as it is expensive ( ~$45 ). I may just add another really thin layer of neoprene to the foam and recover it. 

 

I will update this thread as I start the project. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rick
1 hour ago, robbo10 said:

No-one likes my solution that does work but does not look fabulous, but it might be worth repeating here. It is a saddle shaped pad made of three 10mm sheets of neoprene foam from ebay. About £25 (UK). The neoprene sheet cover would be better in non-slip something. I have just made one for another bike and tried it today. All good.

In this thread:

 

Actually, I've used neoprene wet suit material in the past to deal with hard edges on a seat. I have a single piece of it over top of my added foam in my frankenseat now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rick
1 hour ago, atxjax said:

I agree 100% with you. For me its not the comfy aspect of the seat. My chief complaint is sliding upon braking. That what I want to address from getting a new seat cover installed.

 

The Seat Concepts Gripper cover is very much non-slip and it's really not very hard to swap covers. You should contact them and see if they'll just sell the cover w/o the foam. They rate the grip of their different fabrics here - I have the "gripper" stuff and I guarantee you'll not slide about. https://seatconcepts.com/pages/materials-gallery 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rick
1 hour ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

IMO it did not work. More specifically if you are vetically challenged as I am, the new saddle is wider and bows your legs outwardly making the realistic seat height higher than the 2015-2017 saddles. Absolutely doesn't work for me as the original saddle was just on the edge of being too tall for me. The good news for me is that I'm one of the few that actually likes the stock saddle, and never once thought about changing it.

At 5'5" (and that's probably Trumping it at my age) I don't exactly consider myself tall. Even with all the extra foam in my saddle and wearing my thinnest soled riding boots, reaching the ground on the very light motorcycle should not be a challenge - unless yer like a friend of mine who's 5'0" and had her 250 Ninjunk lower 1.5" to find the ground with tip-toes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
robbo10

It depends on yer inseam, rather than yer height.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
robbo10
5 hours ago, rick said:

Actually, I've used neoprene wet suit material in the past to deal with hard edges on a seat. I have a single piece of it over top of my added foam in my frankenseat now.  

Thanks for that. Now you have made me think that I should use 2mm neoprene foam for the cover. That would be non-slip and provide a little more give (welcome) than the solid sheeting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer
16 hours ago, robbo10 said:

Thanks for that. Now you have made me think that I should use 2mm neoprene foam for the cover. That would be non-slip and provide a little more give (welcome) than the solid sheeting.

Careful with that neoprene! It is often mistaken for seal skin.

 

great white .jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.