The MT-07 Forum

steering misaligned/thudding from left side

shadowcat

Does anyone know how to realign the front wheel? Went down at 45-50 and I'm pretty sure it's misaligned don't know how much but I can feel something isn't right. Also there is a thumping/thud on the left side it's always been there but seems a bit worse now. Maybe I'm just being paranoid that something major is wrong but I want to make sure it's as close to 100% as can be before I go for another long ride. The thud is noticeable when slowing down or with the clutch pulled in while at speed, not at idle or stoped.

• Global Moderator

I cannot help with the steering, but it sounds like you are okay since you are already back on the forum. I am glad that you were not hurt. What happened? Perhaps we can all learn something.

I cannot help with the steering, but it sounds like you are okay since you are already back on the forum. I am glad that you were not hurt. What happened? Perhaps we can all learn something.

Went around a corner too fast and it slid out from under me and into a soft dirt wall. All I got was a bit of road rash on my elbow from the road eating through my textile jacket. The bike is fully functioning the yamaha oem slider saved it.

You mean the front wheel is pointing straight but the handlebars point left or right?

When the handle bars are straight the wheel points right when the wheel is straight the bars point left. I don't know if alignment is the issue I don't really know much about mechanics just guessing really I just hope it isn't anything severe.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I've been wondering how you were! Glad you are all right. Does the slider need to be replaced?

Illegitimi non carborundum

I've been wondering how you were! Glad you are all right. Does the slider need to be replaced?

Yeah I'm good, yes the slider is completely obliterated in 2 pieces 1 of which is still on the bike. It held up at least till it hit the dirt.

Sounds like your bars are bent. The forks might be tweaked a little too. If I were you I'd bring it to a shop (preferably a dealer) and get it all checked out. They will do a test ride and go through it and tell you what's off/bent. It might cost some money but you can't put a price on safety.

Possibilities:

1) Forks are "tweaked in the clamps".
That means the fork tubes are not actually permanently bent, but the impact twisted the handlebar and front wheel in opposite directions, causing the fork tubes to actually rotate a small amount where they are pinched by the triple clamp.
The fork tubes will have to be un-rotated and put back to where they were, and doing this requires loosening at least the top triple clamp fork tube pinch bolts and the center steering stem pinch bolt.
This is actually common on crashed dirt bikes.

2) Handlebar rubber mounts have twisted due to force of impact.
The trade-off with using rubber mounted handlebar clamps is that they can be rotated where they clamp the handlebar if hit hard enough.
Another de-tweaking may be in order here.

3) The handlebar, itself, is bent.
If so, new handlebar.
I actually have my stock FZ-07 handlebar and stock bar weights sitting right next to me (not being used) if you need them.

• Premium Member

Glad you are okay and the bike is mostly okay.

Just make sure that if in doubt take it to a professional. A little wobble can become major instability at higher speeds.

Everything went braap.

Glad you are okay and the bike is mostly okay. 
Just make sure that if in doubt take it to a professional. A little wobble can become major instability at higher speeds.

Thanks, I'm taking it to the dealer I bought it from on wensday when I go to get the right side foot peg replacement. Hopefully it's not too bad I'm hoping it's just the bars being bent or something so I can have reason to buy lower aftermarket ones.

Archived