The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha 39L City Case with brake light

3crows

I just installed the Yamaha rack and 39L city case. I also plan soft side saddle bags and a tank bag and mid-windscreen. Just for light touring and commuting. The items go on and off pretty easy when I want the simple naked look. Though the rack does require removing the outer faring (I plan to fix that). 

But, the case, it has a large red lens on the back side which I figure I could easily convert to a brake light and I also figure I could reverse install a set of flush mount flashers to provide even more visibility on the back side. My idea is to use those stick-on type LED strips that can be cut to fit. Build a simple plug and play harness that can be disconnected, with a plug, and stowed when not in use under the bird seat (which I would like to get rid of). 

Has anyone added a brake light or flashers or such to a rear case? How did it work out if so?

James

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the addition of a brake light and signals to the case has been stalled. However, I have addressed one thing I did not like about the Yamaha OEM rack. The little silver (on my bike) aero pieces on the tail fairing must be removed to install the rack on the 2018. On the 2017 and older the tail faring a hole has to be cut into the faring, uggghhh! At least removing the aero fairings can be reversed easily. But, the motorcycle just did not look right with the bare tail fairing sans the aero pieces. 

So, not to be deterred, I purchased, along with my motorcycle, a second set of silver aero pieces (and a Yamaha fly screen). I trimmed the second set of fairings to fit with the rack installed. They still attach with three screws, instead of the original five, and a added rubber bumper to dampen vibration. Perhaps a bit overkill but it looks much better, more OEM, than without the pieces. It is a naked motorcycle but it is too naked without them.

Nice, big case! If only it could be mounted over top of the headlight it would double as a windscreen …. and a good one!

Beemer

The 39L is not so big. Room enough for me to stow my jacket and gloves and helmet. A heavy jacket might displace the helmet. I added a helmet lock from Santos though for that possibility. I can carry my gym bag or work EDC items in the case and then switch out and put my jacket and gloves in the case upon arrival.

And since I have not yet found a hugger the bare rack does serve an auxiliary function of acting as an extended fender since I did do the FE from TST also. I will get another pic later.

Here are the photos showing the trimmed aero farings. These are an extra set that I purchased when I bought the motorcycle exactly for this purpose:

IMG_4555.jpg

IMG_4553.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

As it sits now:

IMG_4562.jpg

IMG_4564.jpg

IMG_4558.jpg

My passenger peg delete kit should arrive soon so I can finish that up. With that the first mods are done. Then hopefully I can ride it some since it now only has 109 miles. 

The next series of mods, Stage II, will be a hugger, tank bag, rear bag (Krieger 10L?) and maybe a different set of blinkers and the very thing that started this thread, a stop light in the Yamaha 39L case!

The final mods, Stage III, an exhaust and tune. 

Other things down the road, maybe a repaint, custom paint. 

Archived