The MT-07 Forum

Adjustable Shifter

Beemer

The ergos of every bike I've ever owned have needed adjustment to suit me, the manufacturer's can't be expected to cater to every body size & shape.

10 minutes ago, stickshift said:

The ergos of every bike I've ever owned have needed adjustment to suit me, the manufacturer's can't be expected to cater to every body size & shape.

But I've had a few that were just perfect, for me. 

• Global Moderator
12 hours ago, Old Man said:

If I wanted an R-6 I'd buy one. My 2003 FZ-1 was a WAY better bike than this. I'd take an FZ6R over this. 

why'd you get rid of the FZ1?

its by far the best bike ive ever ridden, and other than the FJR1300, comfortable and powerful as all hell

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

1 hour ago, sorkyah said:

why'd you get rid of the FZ1?

its by far the best bike ive ever ridden, and other than the FJR1300, comfortable and powerful as all hell

I had the black and yellow 2003. Got run off the road. I had a blue 2005. Got run off the road.  Cager magnet? Bought a 2006 interceptor. LOVED that bike. Got rear-ended at a stop! Me, bruised but never broken. 

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

I had the black and yellow 2003. Got run off the road. I had a blue 2005. Got run off the road.  Cager magnet? Bought a 2006 interceptor. LOVED that bike. Got rear-ended at a stop! Me, bruised but never broken. 

There are truly some maniacs out there that should not be allowed to drive or have children. I've had several people purposely try to run into me because they either didn't like me passing them on the shoulder (I was purposely blocked from passing for miles by some jack-ass in the passing lane) or they were too stupid to fall back behind me to get into the left lane so they could make their left turn coming up. they decided that it was "OK" to just drift toward me and force me out of my spot. 

Beemer

18 hours ago, Old Man said:

For me that would be yes.  Just on the very front of the heel. I wear Sidi Black Rain boots. 

I have to say, this bike is very niche oriented. Shorter riders, shorter seat length, absolutely cramped reach to the bars - made for shorter riders.  For me the gearing is too short as well, but that's why it's a torque beast and wheelie monster. I find myself using 3rd gear when making normal street turns simply because second is too snatchy down low. Better power, smoother, way more roll-on control coming out in 3rd. I think I'll hold on to this for a few months and trade it for a Ninja z650. Even the ergos on the SV-650 are the most relaxed but I had a DL-650 and wasn't really a fan of the V-twin. Had a Ninja 1000 and a 2006 Ninja 650. I like the Kaws  better. No friggin' plastic tank either.  

Sorry, rant over. 

Off topic, but I recently put a 17t sprocket up front. Cures 95% of the snatchiness. Bike still has so much torque it will still power wheelie 1st and 2nd, but now it does it much smoother and controllably. No more mouse trap wheelies. Best $22 I spent on the bike.

• Global Moderator
15 hours ago, Old Man said:

Ouch,

Good to see you're still kicking it, though maybe you need a high-viz safety bubble cause it certainly sounds like you are a cager magnet :P

never rode the 1200 but had a buddy with one of the 800s, bastard would leave me in the dust

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Oh I was at the dealership, bruises and all, the next day looking at bikes.  The 2011 Ninja 1000 replaced my Interceptor.  It was an 800. Fun bike. Great ergos. Both were a blast really. VFR1200 is an over-engineered, overpriced piece of crap. IMO. But it was very light weight as bikes that size go. Definitely aimed at killing an FJR, but not up to the task of challenging a Concours. 

This bike... I need more time. Not sure how I feel about it. Sits about an inch too high. IMHO. My SRX600  sits a lot lower to the ground. Like a dirt track bike. Z650 sits lower than an 07.  SV650 sits the lowest of the three and you sit back more in the seat. Center of gravity on the 07 is high for me since I'm 6'2" with a long torso and arms. When I lean the 07 over I think I stop short, although the tires say different. 

It is a beautiful motor, no denying that. I'd love to see a 5-speed model. Even the XSR700 and 900 are still geared to low,  again only my opinion. It's not a twitchy throttle. It's very low, short gears that make the bike twitchy. Like shinyribs  said, changing even one gear makes a noticeable difference. Yeah, I can imagine a relaxed 5-speed version but it'll never be built. But they really do owe both those motors greater experimentation across different platforms/styles. They have different styles but basically all the same frames. Same bike.

Archived