The MT-07 Forum

Air conditioned helmets are here. Wonder if they work?

rider

I think somebody was doing this (or trying to do this) a while back.

I'm not really interested in them, but it's neat, if odd looking in back.  Not much choice in color and no graphics.

$549.00.  DOT and ECE approved.  For now only in the USA.

https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-general-news/innovative-new-helmet-promises-keep-your-head-cool-go

FHR_ACH1_SLVR_01_web_900x.png

NRWhiteKnight

Other than the fact that you will have a plug wire running to your bike for it to run, one thing the article does not state is how heavy the helmet is. That can make a huge difference. I don't care how cool my head is as there is airflow when moving, but if it's heavy, one's neck is gonna be hurting at the end of a long ride, I'd bet.

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

1 hour ago, NRWhiteKnight said:

Other than the fact that you will have a plug wire running to your bike for it to run, one thing the article does not state is how heavy the helmet is. That can make a huge difference. I don't care how cool my head is as there is airflow when moving, but if it's heavy, one's neck is gonna be hurting at the end of a long ride, I'd bet.

I agree about the wire but i dont think weight is gonna be a deal breaker. I just looked up the specs on their website. They claim the complete helmet is 1480 grams at most. My current lid is an HJC FG-17- it is quoted to weigh 1667 grams and i find it quite comfortable weight wise. Its certainly lighter than my old modular helmet was. So i think they are in a good place with weight, provided its well balanced front to rear. 

Also it uses thermo-electric device tech. Ford uses the same stuff in ther cooled seats. I work on Ford vehicles all day and can tell you failure rate of TEDs is low. There's no moving parts but the fan. They can definately drop 15 degrees which is very noticeable. Im currently using a blue armor blusnap evap cooler on my helmet and 15 degree drop is what it can do. Ill tell you it makes riding in 106 pretty ok for me lol. That reminds me, i need to write a review on that product. 

NRWhiteKnight

Good point, BTM. I had not been to their site, just perused the article. So hopefully weight won't be a big issue.  I also look forward to your review. Sounds interesting. :)

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

That's pretty cool (sorry) 

Wonder why this hasn't been thought of before? Peltier devices have been used for refrigeration and cooling for a long time now. I had a piece of equipment at work that would take an aluminum block from 95c to 4c in about a minute, so this is a very efficient way to chill.

I'd guess a 15 degree drop from ambient won't even draw as much current as heated grips. 

Of course, if it doesn't fit well or it's really noisy, well

Pleasantly surprised by surprised by the price. Can only wonder were the shell was made and how well.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, rick said:

That's pretty cool (sorry) 

Wonder why this hasn't been thought of before? Peltier devices have been used for refrigeration and cooling for a long time now. I had a piece of equipment at work that would take an aluminum block from 95c to 4c in about a minute, so this is a very efficient way to chill.

I'd guess a 15 degree drop from ambient won't even draw as much current as heated grips. 

Of course, if it doesn't fit well or it's really noisy, well

Pleasantly surprised by surprised by the price. Can only wonder were the shell was made and how well.

Who care's if it's ECE approved?

In the world of crashworthiness - whatever that means, ECE certification holds some weight. DOT certification - just makes the thing "street legal". 

I didn't notice the ECE certification when I made the comment about the shell quality - so that shouldn't be an issue. Comfort will always be a head to head sorta thing. Unless they start making a couple shape shells like Arai does, it'll fit some comfortably, but not everyone. 

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/motorcycle-helmet-faqs-dot-snell-and-ece

I look for FCC, DNC, GOP, ZZTOP, PMS, SIP, RTP, MP3, H264 and so many others

Then I open the vents and go faster

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

NRWhiteKnight
2 hours ago, r1limited said:

I look for FCC, DNC, GOP, ZZTOP, PMS, SIP, RTP, MP3, H264 and so many others

Then I open the vents and go faster

🤣

5 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Now for an AC suit to go along with it. 

Now yer talkin.

I'm afraid that's gonna require a bigger output charging system 

8 minutes ago, rick said:

Now yer talkin.

I'm afraid that's gonna require a bigger output charging system 

NASA needs to get involved, the lazy b8&$#@! Put the system in a tail case and run a hose to the suit.

Beemer

topazsparrow

Nevermind.. they're using a small fan and some fancy tubular padding.

This is a cool idea, and while a bit bulkier than I like, pretty compact for what it does. Would love to test one.

GEEEEEZ! air conditioning in helmets. What next, cancelling MotoGP races in case the riders get wet....

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

5 minutes ago, gregjet said:

GEEEEEZ! air conditioning in helmets. What next, cancelling MotoGP races in case the riders get wet....

haha. what has this world come to?!

'16 FZ-07 Matte Silver/Blurple
Instagram:Mintsopoulos

Archived