The MT-07 Forum

weird noises when doing a clutch up wheelie

captainkool4

captainkool4

In second gear sometimes when I clutch up wheelie I heard a loud clunk noise, like something banging into something else, it happens right after I dump the clutch and as the wheel is popping up.

Also, sometimes I hear a high pitch squealing noise from the back, also right after I dunno the clutch (while I've got the revs high) almost sounds like the rear wheel locking up and sliding.

I have a new bike only 900 miles, chain is within spec, on the looser end of the range for my bike but definitely in spec. Any idea if these sounds are normal? They don't seem to happen every time, more often right when I start my bike up I think, but maybe I just don't always notice it.

Does it sound like

CherClunk or

Braaap-ChaClunk

Followed by a

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Chink plunk

Its the sacrum-devalve pump

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

4 hours ago, r1limited said:

Does it sound like

CherClunk or

Braaap-ChaClunk

Followed by a

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Chink plunk

Its the sacrum-devalve pump

Shouldn't be, Yamaha addressed issues with the SDP with the 2018 model

topazsparrow

Clunk is probably just drivetrain slack being taken up.

Squealing is a weird one. Bearings?

Give your axle bolt a once over and see if it's torqued on correctly. I'd honestly take it into the shop and explain the issue. I wouldn't explain that you're doing wheelies specifically, but just saying something to the effect of "spirited acceleration runs" with a wink.

captainkool4
12 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Clunk is probably just drivetrain slack being taken up.

Squealing is a weird one. Bearings?

Give your axle bolt a once over and see if it's torqued on correctly. I'd honestly take it into the shop and explain the issue. I wouldn't explain that you're doing wheelies specifically, but just saying something to the effect of "spirited acceleration runs" with a wink.

I torqued the Axel to spec using a rented tool few weeks ago, should be good.  Yeah I've only heard the squeal. A few times, but it's pretty loud and nasty sounding.  Also, anyone who says not to wheelie this bike...do yourself a favor and go wheelie this bike.

• Premium Member

what year is your FZ-07?

if its got ABS its probably kicking in when certain parameters are triggered... ABS can act like "traction control" if you wanna call it that, maybe just enough brake pressure is registered and see 2 way different wheel speeds,etc other sensors and reacts when you are doing a wheelie...

squeal/ clunk noise may be the ABS modulating the rear brake???

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I believe the clutch plates normally get oil via passages in the tranny main shaft. It sits well high of the oil level in the sight glass - until you throw the front of the bike up into the air. With the clutch at the back motor and now maybe awash in a bath of oil, I wonder if  what you are hearing is the clutch slipping. 

You did say it happens with the revs way up and it's right after pulling the clutch. 

If that's the case, the clutch will start to misbehave - maybe slip more or chatter badly as the steels blue and the friction plates get coated with burned oil. 

captainkool4
5 hours ago, norcal616 said:

what year is your FZ-07?

if its got ABS its probably kicking in when certain parameters are triggered... ABS can act like "traction control" if you wanna call it that, maybe just enough brake pressure is registered and see 2 way different wheel speeds,etc other sensors and reacts when you are doing a wheelie...

squeal/ clunk noise may be the ABS modulating the rear brake???

It does have abs.  So maybe the rear break is actually pumping?  And the squeal is the wheel skidding?

pull the abs fuse. If it goes away, that'll be it. 

Keep in mind that ABS is design to prevent the tires from skidding. You won't even get a chirp over frost heaves when ABS is activated - you just get a vibrating pedal - and if your foot is on the brake pedal and the ABS activates, you will feel it pulse/almost vibrate. 

Hard to imagine the ABS activating w/o you pressing on the pedal or squeezing the lever though. 

Man this is weird, I was riding home last night and was doing wheelies and I heard voices.  These were different voices than usual, and one of them said

"OH shet"

The other said

"CRAPPOLA THAT WAS AWESOME"

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived